X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevebez
    • Oct 2003

Speaker Protection Covering.

Some time ago I asked what can be done to protect your cabinets and drivers from kids, being bumped, scratched etc .... and I could not really come up with an elegant, practical and cheap idea... but I think I have.

I even considered having a carbon fibre blanket made for the unit - but this was just completely OTT although could be a nice mod later on .... :B

I decided to try some 2mm clear PVC. (I guessed what would be an appropiate thickness).

Affordable e-commerce solutions for small to medium sized businesses hosted in one of the world's leading data centres

It was quite a process masking the holes for the drivers and ports and the holes for the speaker grill ... 2mm is pretty difficult to cut intricate and small holes.

Anyhow when I initally got the plastic and looked at the speaker I thought O boy this is never going to work - but it has exceeded all my expectations...

Speakers have a gloss look to them and look fabulous. I think if no one knew you would say they had been polyurethane coated. The wife even said they look better than before :E .

The PVC is sticky to itself and yet is not on the veneer. So you simply wrap the PVC around the whole system and mask holes for the drivers etc ... and then do the labourious task of cutting holes and to size.

Works a treat. Now when my 17mnth old comes running over with his mini cricket bat I dont rugby tackle him anymore ... ... also no more crayon pics on the unit either!

The drivers are obviously still exposed to some degree (really flimsy grill cover), but the grill now sits 2mm more pround than standard offering at least some protection from the little one. The lugs still work fine.

Have not had chance to take snaps but very happy with the result. Will post when I get the chance ...

The only thing I can suggest is maybe go for a slightly thinner PVC mbe 1.5 mm will be sufficient, although the 2mm offers very good protection, but more cumbersome to cut, 1.5mm may also be prone to stretching.

Unit does not look pretty with grill off but with grill on looks really neat.

Rgds Steve.
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

??? I've raised two kids and now host my 4 grand-kids and never had a problem with them and any of my equipment.

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• tboooe
      • Jun 2005

Steve, that is awesome!!!

Though I did not go to the same extent as you, I also added some protection to my 802d this weekend. I purchased some very soft fleece fabric for about $12 then had my wife make some nice speaker covers. They turned out very nice. I am thinking about getting some embroidery on them to make them look professional. Perhaps the B&W logo?

For me, I just wanted a cover to protect from dust, sun, etc when the speakers are not in use. Also, since my speakers reside in my living room, have them covered makes them a little nice intrusive. I dont have to contend with flailing cricket bats though.

Comment

• Stevebez
        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
        ??? I've raised two kids and now host my 4 grand-kids and never had a problem with them and any of my equipment.

Kal
        Unfortunately I have a small apartment and the one 803 is right in the pathway of getting into the lounge area from the dining area so its bound to get a knock or two. The little one also has his b/fst , lunch & dinner probably within 4 feet of the one 803 ... I cannot risk it!

All my other electronics are behind lock and key. So far no damage has been done at all but there have been some pretty close calls ...

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• Gump
          • Sep 2005

Kal
          Congratulations Kal "SuperNanny" Rubinson!! :lol:

You're right Stevebez, when you see one of your little ones armed with a Thomas the Tank Engine toy train making a bee-line for your 4 thousand dollar speaker it makes your heart skip a beat! :E
          I don't know if it's because the speakers are big, if its all the fancy wires coming out the back of them, or if its the sound emanating from them, but the little tikes are drawn towards my 803D's like a magnet.

My speakers are in my family room where my "family" including the wee ones, relax and have fun. I have learned that it pays to be vigilant... :lol:

Comment

• misterdoggy
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

I don't know what the problem is.

I just keep my 45 loaded, anybody goes near the 802's BAM!!!

They won't do it twice

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Gump
              Congratulations Kal "SuperNanny" Rubinson!! :lol:
              Well, I once almost lost one when she tried to find my voice inside an Altec A7!

Kal
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

So when do we get pictures of these speakers?!?!?!
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• speakerboy
                  • Nov 2005

A problem with PVC is the plasticizers that can leach out of PVC products, more so as the temperature increases. When you remove the PVC, it can leave a sticky, difficult-to-remove film (i.e. the plasticizer)! This would be very bad when you sell your speakers down the road...someone may not want the PVC. Also, as PVC decomposes/degrades, HCl is a by-product (hydrochloric acid). PVC can be damaging to the wood veneer and your expensive speakers!

Comment

• RobP
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Well, I once almost lost one when she tried to find my voice inside an Altec A7!

Kal

:rofl:
                    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Gump
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                      I don't know what the problem is.

I just keep my 45 loaded, anybody goes near the 802's BAM!!!

They won't do it twice
                      Great suggestion misterdoggy, but for some reason my wife didn't seem too keen on the idea. Something about bullets flying around the the family room makes her uncomfortable. It's hard to find a reasonable woman when it comes to speakers vs children.

Besides, you never know when a stray round might take out a diamond tweeter..... :W

Comment

• caleb
                        • Aug 2004

Great suggestion misterdoggy, but for some reason my wife didn't seem too keen on the idea. Something about bullets flying around the the family room makes her uncomfortable. It's hard to find a reasonable woman when it comes to speakers vs children.

Besides, you never know when a stray round might take out a diamond tweeter..... :W
                        Hmmmm - I agree.

Maybe one of those electric cattle prods then?? :rofl:

Comment

• Gump
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by caleb
                          Hmmmm - I agree.

Maybe one of those electric cattle prods then?? :rofl:
                          Razor/barbed wire, shock collars, attack dogs, electric fences, ex-NFL linemen with bad knees but still capable of the occasional bouncer/bodyguard gig---------the possibilities are endless and all certainly viable.

But, I'm afraid I'll probably stick with the boring, mundane firm scolding and re-directing the little cherub's attention elsewhere. At least until Kal releases his "Parenting for Audiophiles" book and I get some different ideas. :rofl:

Actually now I think she's not really that interested in the speakers anymore as much as she enjoys the sport of seeing me leap across the room after her with a look of terror on my face. :E

Comment

• Stevebez
                            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by speakerboy
                            A problem with PVC is the plasticizers that can leach out of PVC products, more so as the temperature increases. When you remove the PVC, it can leave a sticky, difficult-to-remove film (i.e. the plasticizer)! This would be very bad when you sell your speakers down the road...someone may not want the PVC. Also, as PVC decomposes/degrades, HCl is a by-product (hydrochloric acid). PVC can be damaging to the wood veneer and your expensive speakers!
                            Yes - this did cross my mind and I am keeping a beady eye on this ... the room temp is always around 21degs so heat is not an issue, nor or are any of the units in direct sunlight. I was thinking of first putting on a decent coating of furniture wax - but this might just make things worse. I may line the PVC with some felt - but I think this is going OTT again.

I guess the only solution is a proper house with a dedicated home theatre room ... or .... an wall setup. But thats perhaps a little extreme. I could also just accept the little knocks and bruises as long as the drivers dont get wacked.

Alternatively I can just get comprehensive damage insurance !!!

O dear decisions decisions!!! Sorry guys pics on the w/e will post then...

Comment

• Briz vegas
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Speaker protecto 2000 for B&W speakers

B&W speakers can stand up to sunlight and kids just fine. Now felines are a different matter.

To address this problem I invented the Protecto 2000. I plan to sell them in hifi shops around the globe for $1000 US a pair. A larger model for the 802s and up will sell for $4000 constructed from special plastic from the space program. (cracks and loose components included)

I have had my Protecto's (c) installed now for some weeks and my speakers are still in mint condition despite exhaustive tests with the test unit (photo).

I can take orders now. Cash in advance of course :W
                              Attached Files
                              Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                              Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2006

At least until Kal releases his "Parenting for Audiophiles" book and I get some different ideas. :rofl:
                                Not me, but my wife was the enforcer. Of course, putting the speakers in a busy passage would, probably, not have been successful in our house either.

But don't get me started about cats..................................... :M

Kal
                                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Gump
                                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                  B&W speakers can stand up to sunlight and kids just fine. Now felines are a different matter.

To address this problem I invented the Protecto 2000. I plan to sell them in hifi shops around the globe for $1000 US a pair. A larger model for the 802s and up will sell for $4000 constructed from special plastic from the space program. (cracks and loose components included)

I have had my Protecto's (c) installed now for some weeks and my speakers are still in mint condition despite exhaustive tests with the test unit (photo).

I can take orders now. Cash in advance of course :W
                                  Now that's creative thinking!! And my wife can use them too for growing her tomato plants!

Comment

• Stevebez
                                    • Oct 2003

Some pics ...
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• Stevebez
                                      • Oct 2003

More pics... with the little danger lurking CD in hand ... mmm wonder what format he will be listening too when he is 30 yrs old !???
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Gump
                                        • Sep 2005

Not me, but my wife was the enforcer. Of course, putting the speakers in a busy passage would, probably, not have been successful in our house either.

But don't get me started about cats..................................... :M

Kal
                                        Hmmmmm...I never thought about the cat angle. Maybe I should just get a plastic squirt/spray bottle with water in it.

Comment

• tboooe
                                          • Jun 2005

hey briz...do you find that the Protecto 2000 affects the sound quality??

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

tboooe, I was worried about that to start with. Thats why I started with home made fitted vinyl covers with a sort of cloth backing. To achieve my aim the cover had to go over the speaker grill at the front. It was a pain to take them off and put them back on twice a day. I was also worried about long term impacts on the speakers finish from the fitted cover.

When making the "protecto" devices I made them as low as possible so that the tweeter, midrange and as much of the bass drivers (not much) were not covered. I made them to be easy to remove but have since found that there is no noticable sound impact so I just leave them on. I have not done A/B testing and have not felt the need to do so as yet.

Jake and Elwood (felines) don't like them as they bend when they push against them. I left "spikes" on the bottom to hold the carpet so that they do not move against the speaker. I guess they look a little silly, but I am used to them now and it keeps the speakers in good nick.
                                            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Stevebez
                                              • Oct 2003

After all my picture taking no comments ???

:W

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• caleb
                                                • Aug 2004

I think that your plastic covering looks very good.

My own experience with plastics had been that there are many chemicals in them which do tend to leach out over time as already stated - so my worry would be the long term effects on the veneer of the speaker.

Comment

• Stevebez
                                                  • Oct 2003

Yep ... its not ideal and a semi-temporary solution until the little one grows up - or as I said I get a proper house and lock this stuff away ...

Have to say my boy really does enjoy music and it would be a shame to lock it all away ... so all round its a compromise on knocks and bruises (should they occur) or damamge from the PVC (should it occur). Until something better comes up this is what I will "stick" to if u pardon the pun...

I will give the veneer a good waxing and then put the plastic back to create some sort of barrier... although mbe the wax will make things worse ! Any thots ?

Heat and sunlight are two accelerators of the chemical release - and thankfully both units are unaffected by this.

I guess the first sign of trouble would be the PVC sticking to the veneer and so far there is no sign of this ...

If its a more permanent solution I will line the PVC with some felt ... ho-hum all quite tedious !!!

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• Gump
                                                    • Sep 2005

Steve,

They look good. Actually I'm a little surprised how well they turned out. Well done.
                                                    You definitely get an A+ for ingenuity!!

Comment

• Stevebez
                                                      • Oct 2003

Steve,

They look good. Actually I'm a little surprised how well they turned out. Well done.
                                                      You definitely get an A+ for ingenuity!!
                                                      Thanks ! ... not ideal but good enuf for what I need.

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"