X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgveteran
    • Oct 2005

PVC tubing for enclosures

To cut cost and look for a more interesting enclosure I priced some 8" PVC tubing (the thick green stuff ) for enclosure purposes.Has anyone used this material before ? My thoughts are to use the 8" stuff for the woofers (6.5" drivers),6" for the midrange(5"mid) and the 4" for the tweeter (just for looks).

The enclosure for the 6.5" drivers will be sealed and small because they will be handling only 80hz and above.I'm sure they will be at least .5 cu. ft. ( or slightly larger if needed )each.The midrange will need an even smaller enclosure.

The xover will be external in the base.Whatcha think?
    Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

There's a discussion here somewhere on this already. A 6" driver in an 8" tube might be pushing it. Standing wave issues increase. Total speaker depth has to increase due to loss of volume in the "corners" compared to a box. Baffle, you do NOT want it to be round with the driver centered - that's the worset thing you can do.

In other words, for anything other than a subwoofer, take care and plan very very carefully. There are places where a tube may be the way to go, (mostly if it's a quarter-wave pipe setup) but understanding why and when is just as important.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• SteveCallas
      • Aug 2005

Yeah I was pretty set on pursuing that path but it got shot down pretty quickly, lol.

Since I had such great success with my DIY sonosub, largely in part because of all the great help I received on the audio forums, I am now interested in building some DIY mains and a center. I realize building a successful speaker will be a lot tougher than a sonosub, but I am in no immediate hurry and will do as much reading
      Last edited by theSven; 16 August 2023, 16:09 Wednesday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

There was no shooting down, my friend!

Flying by flapping your arms simply doesn't work. :P

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"