How to determine grill distance to speaker...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CADman_ks
    • Jan 2012

How to determine grill distance to speaker...

I'm currently building a sub. It's a sealed box, and the sub I'm using is a Dayton RSS315HO-4. The box that I'm using has the sub frame flush with the outside of the box, but the surround sticks above that, about a 1/2" or so (I haven't actually measured it at this point). I'll need a grill on there because we have a cat, and who knows what she does for entertainment when we're not around. My grills will be of the plywood framed type, with lightweight grill cloth covering them.

My question is this: How do I determine how far away the grill needs to be from the sub surround, so that I'm sure that it never hits it? I know what XMAX is on this speaker is 12.3mm. I'm assuming that even if it were to fully extend 12.3mm, the actual surround wouldn't move that much, since it's basically stretching a radius, so it shouldn't actually move the entire 12.3mm. But, I want to make sure that I have ENOUGH clearance in there so that the grill cloth never touches the speaker...
    CADman_ks
    - Stentorian build...
    - Ochocinco build...
    - BT speaker / sub build...
  • Andy_F
    • Aug 2018

I'd suggest using wire mesh for the grill as a cat will destroy acoustic cloth in a matter of seconds.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Comment

• CADman_ks
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Andy_F
      I'd suggest using wire mesh for the grill as a cat will destroy acoustic cloth in a matter of seconds.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
      Good call, but our cat doesn't not have front claws, and she hardly ever acts like she is sharpening her claws. She doesn't need with my Klipsch's, and they have cloth...
      CADman_ks
      - Stentorian build...
      - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• cochinada
        • May 2014

I like cats but I won't risk adopting one as some cats are really crazy...
        Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
        DIY subwoofers.
        Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• CADman_ks
          • Jan 2012

LOL!

Our cat is very much Jekyl and Hyde for sure. One minute she's purring and sitting on your lap, and the next she's tearing around the house like she's being chased by demons!!!
          CADman_ks
          - Stentorian build...
          - Ochocinco build...

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"