X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevebez
    • Oct 2003

Cabinet protection covers ?

Anyone know if someone makes a padded blanket type cover to protect the speaker cabinets when ... lets say you have kids running around bumping into everything in sight ???

Have a little one who is going to be mobile soon and think my 803D's are going to get shattered!!!

While the grill cloth is fine for everyday dust and stuff its hardly a rigid enough for protection from larger bumps.

Rgds Steve.
  • L01
    • Feb 2005

there are two possibilities:
    A: Isolate the speaker by putting it in another room or by an electric fense
    B: Isolate the kid in another room

some weeks ago I saw a friends 801... I guess at least 100g of wood were already removed by the kid 8O
    RME Digi/96 PAD -> Benchmark DAC1 -> mcIntosh 602AC -> B&W 802s

Comment

• ti33er
      • Apr 2004

hehe most people with young children don't own HiFi because of this...kids love to push and prod things, especially when you tell them NOT to!

Steve, you need a room under lock and key, finger-print and retinal scan! ;D
      "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• sugarmedia
        • Feb 2005

I would highly recommend using a Shock Collar for indoor use. It's an excellent way to reinforce and reward good behavior- in your case avoiding the stereo. Here's the link if you're interested:

What about protecting them with a fort made of Lego's?

As for me, I have my cords running under the wood floors. I use flatline- Nordost Blue Heaven cables. When not in use, the cover seems to keep my son away, and those dirty fingerprints.
        Last edited by sugarmedia; 25 March 2005, 17:30 Friday.

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

I'm dreading the same thing. My kids about to be born, but in a few months once he learns to walk, I know he'll be chasing the dogs around. So far (3 days and counting), the dogs have been unable to knock my 805s down. I filled the stands with sand and the stand/speaker combo weighs in at 55lbs a piece, but that still may not be enough.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Jeff
            • Dec 2004

Your 803's are in danger. If you don't come up with something which is truely effective remove them from harms way. You could mfr a HEAVY black blanket to slip over the top. It wouldn't to hard to slip on and off when the little guy is sleeping, etc.

I still have issues with my speakers when my boys are rough housing in the living room. I'd rather remove my speakers all together then to treat the area like a crystal palace. That is why I have a separate HT/2 channel listening room down stairs., away from the action. Sure, they would like to
            rough house down there. But as far as I'm concerned, that's my crystal
            palace and where I impose Martial law.

Comment

• Stevebez
              • Oct 2003

Gosh ... its going to be more expensive than I thought ...

Have to get a bigger house !!!!

Will let you know how I get on but was thinking of a thick quilted blanket that would wrap around - and attach at rear with velcro ... something like a grand prix tyre warming blanket - without the heat :lol:

Primary concern are the speaker cones ... a hardcore B&W grill cover would be usefull to start ... then simply getting a blanket to wrap around would do the trick.

Seperate off-limits room is the answer ... although I kinda like having the home theatre as part of the lounge area ... kinda multi functional room for everyone ... but not without its problems as we have discussed.

Anyone sell insurance ??

Rgds Steve

Comment

• caleb
                • Aug 2004

No need for all of this, just give the kid a prod with an electric cattle probe every time it goes near the speakers - they soon learn!!

Comment

• sugarmedia
                  • Feb 2005

Steve you got me thinking with this Velcro thing you mentioned...

I wonder if I went to an auto parts dealer and got some of the car carpet flooring, cut it to shape and either had velcro running down the back or some sort of snap on it. That could be a nice solution if done right of course.

Comment

• Patt
                    • Feb 2005

How about one of those really heavy stiff blankets moving companys use to wrap their furniture.
                    Cut them to size (2 pcs.each) and sew or have them sewn back together for a perfect fit, not too tight though. It is dense/rigid enough to stand on its own with the cylinder shape.
                    Last edited by Patt; 29 March 2005, 14:02 Tuesday. Reason: typo
                    ......Pat

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"