X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Bi-amp Center channel

Anyone here bi-amping their center channel? If so did you notice any difference? I have an extra channel on my center channel amp and have been thinking about giving it a try.
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"
  • dknightd
    • Mar 2006

give it a try. wire is cheap.

Comment

• UCLAman
      • Oct 2005

You didn't mention which one you have but if its two-way, the biwirig may not make an audible difference. If its 3-way, then definitely biwire it!

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

I don't know whether or not you'll notice any difference, but here's a thought: For movies, a lot (often the largest portion, especially in dialogue scenes) of audio information is transmitted to the centre speaker. An advantage of bi-amping is that there should always be enough power in reserve to fully serve the needs of the low frequency portion of your centre speaker, whilst the high frequency portion is looked after separately. You have the spare channel so why not use it. :T

Comment

• Phil Rose
          • Aug 2000

I also had an extra channel so, I bi-amped my HTM1. Didn't notice any difference really, but as mentioned, wire is cheap and it works, so why not.

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Its a Nautilus HTM1 that I am using, I think I may try it this weekend, time permitting.
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• kurtholz
              • Feb 2005

i bi-amped my 802d's, and noticed a huge difference, i wish i had just one more channel to do my htm1 also

actually, i need 2 channel's, as i am using one channel for both rear center's

so many problems, hahahaha

Kurt

Comment

• RobP
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Those are good problems to have Kurt! :lol:
                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• JKalman
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                  Anyone here bi-amping their center channel? If so did you notice any difference? I have an extra channel on my center channel amp and have been thinking about giving it a try.
                  Bi-amping didn't make a positive difference for me with my 802Ds, it actually made them sound worse. I think the Y-cable added another link to the chain, degrading the signal. Besides that small negative difference in clarity, there were no positive side effects, they played the same as always. Then again, my amp has more than enough power to feed the 802D a decent amount past the loudness level I listen to music at... 80-95 dB.

Comment

• htsteve
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Yes

Soundgravy,

I would recommend bi-amping the HTM1. I just bi-amped my HTM1 (with a Rotel 1077). I was impressed at how pretty much all aspects of the speaker improved. See my post in club Rotel on the 1077. I talk about the HTM1 in it. As was already suggested, it shouldn't cost much to try it out.

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

• RobP
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

Thanks for all of the input guys, seems as if we have a mixed bag of results, as soon as I get the hookup completed and have a listen, Ill post how it turned out.
                      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• JKalman
                        • Nov 2005

I thought you might be interested in this, Biamping: Pleasure or Pain?.

Since the HTM1D is a passive crossover you would only be adding 3 dB to your total volume level, i.e. doubling the Watts by adding another amplifier, assuming it is the same amplifier. I'm not sure if it is worth what you are going to spend for 3 dB, but if it is, go for it. :W

Comment

• PavelL
                          • Sep 2005

some basics from B&W on biamping and biwiring

Comment

• JKalman
                            • Nov 2005

Actually, I'm not 100% correct, since the bass units take more power than the midrange and tweeters, you won't even get 3 dB since the bass was taking a larger proportion of the original power than the other two to begin with using one amplifier. So adding the second amplifier means you gain only as much extra power proportional to what the bass unit wasn't using on the first amplifier to begin with when the volume reached clipping levels. You will clip at less than 3 dB extra because the bass was already using up a larger amount of the power, while the midrange and tweeter will have plenty of extra headroom through the second amplifier because of the smaller amount of power they use up proportionally to the bass.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"