X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Music4Life
    • May 2006

Need a new Integrated Amp

Hello Everybody! I am a new proud owner of CM1 speakers.

I have NAD C521 BEE and NAD C340 (old) to drive it. I want to change the Amp and considering NAD C372. Will this be 2X or 3X better than my C340? Any alternatives with the same price range?

Thanks guys.
  • Chris10
    • Apr 2006

I listened to C372 when I was shopping around for a new system, although not together with B&W speakers (but Dali Ikon 6). It had power and could perform e.g. rock-music well, but after a while I got a somewhat onedimensional impression - the sound was the same independent on what you played (which of course the speakers could have been guilty of). But in that price class it was on my (very) short list.

You''ll find a review here: http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/nad_c372.htm

Comment

• pramod
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Music4Life
      Hello Everybody! I am a new proud owner of CM1 speakers.

I have NAD C521 BEE and NAD C340 (old) to drive it. I want to change the Amp and considering NAD C372. Will this be 2X or 3X better than my C340? Any alternatives with the same price range?

Thanks guys.
      Hi There,

I have C272 Power Amp and NAD C162 pre amp, hooked up with B&W 602S3, and to my ears they sound sweet and smooth, as you know NAD has its reputation for the giving that sweet midrange... as far as I know NAD C372 integrated amp is the combi of the above Pre/Power, and I read some good reviews on that on "ecoustics.com" site... I went for the above conbi.. because separates always sounds better... but with C372 you cannot go wrong,.... read some more reviews in the site I mentioned above....BUT let your ears decide what's the best for them.......

My 2Cents worth.... hope this helpes all the best....

Comment

• Music4Life
        • May 2006

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go with C372 because separates is few hundred HKD higher, plus you need to buy another superior interconnect to hook it up. Now the cost will be higher and the difference won't be "night and day" anyway.

Comment

• BTB
          • Jan 2006

Hi,

For what it's worth... look around in the reviews section on the Rotel "Global" site... there's a group test of integrated amps from What Hi-Fi? magazine, incl. the NAD 372, Marantz PM 7200 KI, Rotel RA 03 and two other models I can't remember now... the NAD reviewed the worst out of the lot, obviously you wouldn't buy purely on the basis of a review, but a 2 out of five rating is cause for concern... esp. given that the same magazine has heaped praise on the two cheaper NAD integrated models currently available.

Comment

• Music4Life
            • May 2006

Yeah I know. But the review that I don't understand is, they bashed the C372 but they praised the 272/162 combo. The truth of the matter is that C372 and C272's power amp section are exactly the same. The pre of course are not, but still. Everywhere I go, C372 are being praised. Rotel is HKD2,000+ more higher and Marantz is HKD3,000+ more. Do you think NAD is 2,000 or 3,000 HKD worst than Rotel or Marantz?

Comment

• BTB
              • Jan 2006

It's your choice to make, It is not possible for me to comment on how price will affect the quality of these components as each brand in this case has a distinct sound character in my experience...

I was merely pointing out that other UK price compatible integrated amps seemed to do much better under group reviews conditions, and that 2 out of 5 is a rather poor score and not seen that often... and I wondered if you had seen that particular review. If you like the NAD anyway, that's up to you. Obviously the pricing situation where you live will impact your final decision.

Comment

• Music4Life
                • May 2006

Thanks for balancing my decision. I still think the price difference will definitely matter. Unless, someone will tell me that the Rotel or even the pricier Marantz will make a "night and day" difference in terms of sound quality.

Comment

• BTB
                  • Jan 2006

Hi there..

Don't know about night and day.... I used to own the standard Marantz PM 7200, not the KI. It did most things very well and had a very smooth, civilised sound but lacked a little in dynamic "punch" and bass control, I now own Rotel RC 1070/RB 1070 seperates, which combined with my Arcam CD 73T CDP & B&W 704 loudspeakers produce a very clean, dynamic sound with pretty tight bass, but midrange and treble are a bit lean compared to the Marantz.

These opinions are painted in broad strokes, to be sure but may be a close enough indication of what each product would offer you. From your post it doesn't sound like you've listened to other options from these manufacturers? Maybe you should check out a PM 7001 (replacement for the 7200) and/or a RA03 (or whatever the new 06 series replacement is) just out of interest before making a final choice? Maybe each will offer you something you hadn't really considered until this point? Or the experience might convince you that the NAD's are the best product for you?

Opinions expressed on this forum can only get you so far... nothing can replace a good listen with your favourite music.

Comment

• Music4Life
                    • May 2006

The problem where I live (HK) is, shops won't set up the amp that you like. Speakers can be but not amps, pre amps or any other electronics. I heard the CM1 with the Marantz PM 11 S1 (already set-up), that is the sound quality I am looking for but the price of the PM 11 is way way way beyond.

I will be going to get NAD because it will match the color of my C521 BEE and I think reviews everywhere are positive plus the price. Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

• Grasynoll
                      • Mar 2006

I've had a C372 driving a pair of 805S for 6 months now. I'm very pleased with the set up. Previously, I had a Creek 5350SE and the NAD compares favorably.

Comment

• Music4Life
                        • May 2006

I bought the C372 and I found that it was a bit lean on the bass side. I heard that this Amp needs some sort of "break in" period. Is it really true? How long? Right now, I can see the potential of this amp to be very good. Imaging and the smoothness is somehow already there and I hope that it gets better as days go by.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"