X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kobestonecold
    • Sep 2007

Help me choose which Amp/power amp/integrated amp for B&W 705

Hi, I am in Auckland, NZ and there is not a single dealer that sell ROTEL in Auckland. So the best i can find in Auckland is Nad or Onkyo to run my B&W 705. What would be the best to buy?

1. NAD C372 Stereo Integrated Amplifier
    +
    NAD C542 CD Player

2. NAD C162 Stereo Pre-amplifier
    NAD C272 Stereo Power Amplifier
    +
    NAD C542 CD Player

3. Onkyo integrated digital amplification A-9755
    +
    Onkyo DV-SP504 universal player (i have it now)

Is the NAD as good as Rotel? Thank you
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I had 705 into Marantz 7300ose into NAD T562 (DVD almost as good as the 542 for CD playback). The CD player may well be fine but I think you can do better than this combination. With budget interconnects/wires I found the highs not to my liking after a while.

The Rotel guys will probably suggest going further afield for a Rotel dealer but this is inviting problems if you are unlucky enough to get a problem unit.

I would look at valves for the 705. I think the right valve amp would tame the top end nicely (as would the right interconnects/speaker wire). They are a bit more than your current suggestions so maybe second hand is the way to go - or just invest a few more dollars for a system that you like in the long term.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• kobestonecold
      • Sep 2007

what about this Rotel used combo?

Comment

• wgriel
        • May 2006

Originally posted by kobestonecold
        I think that would do a very nice job with 705s!

Bill

Comment

• kobestonecold
          • Sep 2007

I got home from work late lastnight and someone bought it already. DAMN him but never mind i called my local dealer and he said they will get ROTEL in about couple week. Start saving money $3000 NZD fro amp/pre/cd straight away. :W

Comment

• Russ L
            • Jul 2006

I think it would be worth a trip down to the South Island to Dunedin to pick up a Rotel amp. John Ransley at Totally Wired can help you out. http://www.totallywired.co.nz Possibly, they would ship a new Rotel unit to you. They also have Linn, Meridian and Sonus Faber( check out the Cremonas! :B). Also, they sell the NZ made Perreaux Amps that are good but pricey-at least here in Canada. Regards, Russ
            Russ

Comment

• kobestonecold
              • Sep 2007

Hi man. I already paid around $5500 NZD for

Rotel Rb-1080
              Rotel Rc-1090
              Rotel Rcd-1072

+

My lovely B&W 705 and AS2 subwoofer

Damn. Let me said, i have the best set up in the whole street. The sound is so damn good man. I just can't believe it. I am so happy now. No more buying anything for me for 2 months. Lucky my wife didn't ask me about the price. :T I am so broke now but very happy. Never gonna upgrade again. Rotel and B&W rocks......

Comment

• Russ L
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by kobestonecold
                Hi man. I already paid around $5500 NZD for

Rotel Rb-1080
                Rotel Rc-1090
                Rotel Rcd-1072

+

My lovely B&W 705 and AS2 subwoofer

Damn. Let me said, i have the best set up in the whole street. The sound is so damn good man. I just can't believe it. I am so happy now. No more buying anything for me for 2 months. Lucky my wife didn't ask me about the price. :T I am so broke now but very happy. Never gonna upgrade again. Rotel and B&W rocks......
                Great news. I'm not surprised you are happy with that setup...sweet. I figure happy you makes happy wife -Russ
                Russ

Comment

• Sounder
                  • Oct 2007

Has anyone considered Emotiva? I just ordered the IPA-1, but haven't gotten it yet. It's 150 wpc, for only $1k USD. Seems like a good value for the money, and from what I've read online, they seem to make some excellent equipment. I got this plus the MMC-1 for $2k, which is about the same as I was considering to spend for a new receiver. I'm expecting this to be a lot better sounding than a receiver.

Steve

Comment

• sanchoucsb
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Sounder
                    Has anyone considered Emotiva? I just ordered the IPA-1, but haven't gotten it yet. It's 150 wpc, for only $1k USD. Seems like a good value for the money, and from what I've read online, they seem to make some excellent equipment. I got this plus the MMC-1 for $2k, which is about the same as I was considering to spend for a new receiver. I'm expecting this to be a lot better sounding than a receiver.

Steve
                    Would you mind letting us know how this sounds once it comes in?

Comment

• Sounder
                      • Oct 2007

emotiva

Sure, I'll let you know how it works out. I'm anxious myself! Should be here in a day or two. Currently I have a Marantz SR8200, and the sound is pretty sweet. I am hoping to get a bit more bass response and generally fuller, more detailed sound. We'll see if they deliver on the promise!

Comment

• tpremo55
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Sounder
                        Sure, I'll let you know how it works out. I'm anxious myself! Should be here in a day or two. Currently I have a Marantz SR8200, and the sound is pretty sweet. I am hoping to get a bit more bass response and generally fuller, more detailed sound. We'll see if they deliver on the promise!
                        Steve,
                        Did you ever post your opinions on the MMC-1/IPA-1? If so where? If not, would you mind sharing your opinions?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"