Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kpodolski
    • Jun 2006

CDP-300 with Sony AD-7800H-01 drive issue

Got a question for owners of a CDP-300 with the Sony AD-7800-01 optical drive.

I picked up a basket case CDP-300 player off EBay that needed some TLC. The rubber stand offs for the optical assembly all went gooey over time. I found replacements and got that all sorted out. There are some rivet nuts missing that hold the top on but I’ll address that in the near future.

The “issue” I’m having is that the Sony drive is not playing CD-R discs. (It will also not play CD-R Audio discs I made in my Onkyo CD-R recorder). It will play normal CD, DVD, DVD-R & DVD+R just fine. So I thought there was something wrong with the drive and I picked up another (used) Sony drive. Installed it and it does the exact same thing. Plays everything except CD-R! A real head scratcher.

So to try something out I installed the Sony drive in my desktop PC. Guess what? The Sony drive will play everything except CD-R’s! A warning message did pop up saying something about how I may not have certain administrative permission to access blah blah, blah. (I did not take a picture of the message; probably should have).

The firmware in this unit is original. I have all of the updates but if the Sony drive cannot read CR-R’s I can't do the updates. The updated firmware is burned to a CD-R.

Are there any owners with the Sony drive who are experiencing the same problem? I own another CDP-300 but that unit has the original TEAC drive which I've never had an issue with. Anyone ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The fact the drive does not play CD-R’s is not a deal breaker for me. The bulk of my CD collection is store bought CD’s. It’s just driving me nuts why I can’t figure out this anomaly.
    The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton
  • kpodolski
    • Jun 2006

Well, I solved my problem. I just needed to update the software. I had to buy a USB to serial adaptor for the firmware update. After that there was an MPEG update. All went well and the unit works great and plays CD-R's!:T

Now I just need to find the rivet-nuts for the top cover...

Comment

• aarsoe
      • May 2004

Hi
      Do you remember what thread size the stand off you purchased where? M8?

Comment

• kpodolski
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by aarsoe
        Hi
        Do you remember what thread size the stand off you purchased where? M8?
        6/32 thread. 1/2" high.

For full specs go to mcmaster.com. Part number 93945K105.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"