X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • devils&dust
    • May 2006

Which tube amp recommended for 800series

How are your experiences which tube amplifiers in connection with the 800 series?

Which combo to recommend? :E
    It's all about Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuce
  • jim777
    • Mar 2005

The McIntosh C2200/MC275 sounded great with the 802D's every time I listened to it. Mac kept the name 275 for 2x75W but the current version is closer to 2x100W. However, even though it would be powerful enough for me, it is not quite enough for very loud heavy/rock. More than enough for jazz though

But if you want big tube coloration, mac isn't for you. Their SS amps sound very tubish for SS, and their tube amps have good bass extension and other SS qualities. Well, the mac sound is pretty much always the same, either SS or tube

Comment

• scottielee
      • Apr 2005

Signature 805 + Jadis JA30 make a lovely match :T

Comment

• Audiophiliac
        • Apr 2006

Vtl S400

Comment

• peter clarke
          • Oct 2006

tube amps 800 series

VTL 7.5/S-400 WITH B&W 800D gives great highs,midrange and tight bass, a good combination!!!!

Comment

• akhter
            • Jun 2005

mcintosh is coming out with a new 300w mono tube amp. might be worth waiting for it.

Comment

• Pedro
              • Jan 2006

akhter, where did you get this info ??

Comment

• Indytown
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by akhter
                mcintosh is coming out with a new 300w mono tube amp. might be worth waiting for it.
                You can mono-block the McIntosh MC 275 which will put out close to 180-200 watts, very dynamic sounding amp. The MC 275 was originally designed from what I have heard to be a mono amp.

Comment

• jim777
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by akhter
                  Never had solid proof of that on the mac forum, only rumors, what is your source?

Thanks.

Comment

• akhter
                    • Jun 2005

only some rumors on the mcintosh forums about a MC2301 or sth.

Comment

• RedWolf
                      • Sep 2007

McIntosh amps are good average gear. Go for the auto biasing VTL gear. You won't regret it. I would also recommend the Conrad Johnson. CJ is the best sounding of the tube equipment out there in my opinion.

Comment

• Indytown
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by RedWolf
                        McIntosh amps are good average gear. Go for the auto biasing VTL gear. You won't regret it. I would also recommend the Conrad Johnson. CJ is the best sounding of the tube equipment out there in my opinion.
                        The MAC's are the same way.

Comment

• number95
                          • Mar 2007

I use my Nautilus 800s with Audio Research Reference 610T monos, and they simply rock! I previously used ARC VT-200, although mids were satisfactory the amp did not wake 800s fully. However after matching them with 600w 610Ts, the result was more than welcome. I also posted my setup to pictures thread today so that you can also look at them.
                          Happy listenings.

Comment

• peter clarke
                            • Oct 2006

tube heaven

Dear number95, I have seen your photos on the pic site, awesome!!! All that heat can be let out through the vent in the roof, also a large room 54m square with ceiling ? 150 cubic metres??? I have a medium sized 80 cubic metres with VTL 7.5/S-400, 800D and it rocks, would love a larger room and bi -amp with siegfrieds, I wish!!!! Happy listenings, Peter Clarke.

Comment

• number95
                              • Mar 2007

Hi Peter,
                              Thank you very much for your kind words. I am also sure your sound from your system must be great. When powered with right tube gear, B&W rocks, contrary to many beliefs that they only need SS.
                              The highest point of ceiling is 4.5 mt. It is roof ceiling. I guess approx 170-180 cubic metres. There is air condition (running surprisingly quite!) to control temperature in especially in summer.
                              What is the rest of your system?

Comment

• peter clarke
                                • Oct 2006

tube heaven

Dear number95, Digital source is T&A D10 SACD, musical fidelity nu-vista single ended interconnects to 7.5, wireworld gold eclipse XLR pre to power,musical fidelity nu-vista copper cables, echo-buster full acoustic treatment. Am looking for new turntable and phono pre-amp, yours look cool, how's the sound???? Regards Peter Clarke.

Comment

• number95
                                  • Mar 2007

Peter,
                                  It seems like you have serious system. Well done.
                                  I listen to 90% analog 10% digital. My analog setup clearly dominates my sacd player so much that there is not even a comparison. It is so neutral, fast, accurate wrt my digital setup, also the soundstage is precisely defined. Dont get me wrong, my sacd player is also a very good machine, compared to many other players.

Comment

• gostan
                                    • May 2003

Originally posted by number95
                                    Peter,
                                    It seems like you have serious system. Well done.
                                    I listen to 90% analog 10% digital. My analog setup clearly dominates my sacd player so much that there is not even a comparison. It is so neutral, fast, accurate wrt my digital setup, also the soundstage is precisely defined. Dont get me wrong, my sacd player is also a very good machine, compared to many other players.
                                    What are you using for a TT and digital sacd source?
                                    Stan

Comment

• AptosJeff
                                      • Jul 2006

Vtl +

Lately, I like the sound of my little VTL TT25's on the mid & hi freg drivers along with a big SS amp for the woofer of my 804S's. Not much power you may think, but very sweet, with plenty of tight bass. That little amp in triode mode is not bad if you don't ask it to do low frequencies. It depends on your taste in music (classical & jazz for me), but a good tube amp is hard to beat for mids & highs.

Comment

• number95
                                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gostan
                                        What are you using for a TT and digital sacd source?
                                        I recently put my system photos and details to pictures thread, you can have a look. I have an Audio Aero Prestige SACD player. I use Michell Orbe SE TT, Tecnoarm and Transfiguration Phoenix as analog source.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"