X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Indytown
    • Apr 2005

B&W & Mac

Generally speaking those who own or have listened.

How do all of you like the B&W 802D and 800D with either MAC 402, 501 mono's the C2200 tube pre-amp or the C46 solid state pre amp.

Indy
  • Eliav
    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Indytown
    Generally speaking those who own or have listened.

How do all of you like the B&W 802D and 800D with either MAC 402, 501 mono's the C2200 tube pre-amp or the C46 solid state pre amp.

Indy
    Hi
    The only experience with the above gear I have head was when I was shopping for an amp. for my 803s. I have auditioned the 802d with the 501 mono's. I thought the sound was very realistic full and warm as compared to the relatively harsh and "metal" Rotel 1095 sound.. the overall presentation sounded great with the Mac.
    This is my only experience with mac. Later on, I "discovered "Classe, I found it more detailed and "airy" than the Mac's, kind of musical nuances that came to live with the Classe and were pretty much subtle with the Mac's.I did not however perform a strict A/B comparison ( Classe Vs Mac) so this is a very subjective impression.

Cheers
    Eliav
    :T Socrat

Comment

• jericho
      • Dec 2004

I went to audition the new 802D with Classé Cam-400 and the new SSP-600 processor.Until that moment my opinion was it the best configuration I've ever heard.A few weeks later I auditioned the same speakers with Mac, M-501 's.The processor was an MX-135.In the beginning I found the Classé combination more "Airy" too but when you change a few settings on the Pre amp, like treble, bass, loudness, etc...the mac was superior my opinion.There was more transparency.Also the Classé processor does not allow you to change settings like treble or bass.But I think either way you go, you can not go wrong.Perhaps second hand the value of a Mac is a little more.I myself took the 800D and drive the speakers with two monoblocks Mac 1201 and the MX-135 processor.My center HTM-1D uses a Mac 501

Comment

• nkb
        • Mar 2006

802D with which Pre and Amp?

I am considering the following combinations to drive the following B&W speakers:

LR: 802D's
        C: HTM2D (cannot physically accommodate an HTM1D - not to mention the double price)
        Sub: ASW825 (Cannot accommodate an ASW855)
        Rears: In wall B&W's

Option A:

Anthem D2 preamp
        Anthem A5 amp for the center and rears
        McIntosh 402 for L/R main

Option B:

McIntosh MX135 (MX119) preamp
        McIntosh MC207 (can I, or should I biamp the extra channels to the 802D's)

Option C:

Krell Home Theatre Standard Preamp
        Krell Theatre Standard Amp

Option D:

Lexicon MC-8
        Lexicon LX-5

Option E:

Classe SSP-600
        Classe CA-5200

I have only auditioned the 802d's with the McIntosh 402 and a McIntosh C-2200(tube), so far.

My dealer is pointing me to Option A. He doesn't have Krell but maintains that they create a "bright" sound. He feels the Anthem D2 beats the Lexicon(he sells both).

Opinions on the above? Those that may have heard any of these systems in combination with the B&W speakers noted. Obviously, I am going to have to hear the finally selected system before I buy, but I am trying to narrow this down.

It should be noted that I am trying for both 2-channel excellence but also a pretty good HT sound and video experience. The D2 seems to have all kinds of bells and whistles especially now with high end video scaling.

Comment

• Eliav
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by nkb
          I am considering the following combinations to drive the following B&W speakers:

LR: 802D's
          C: HTM2D (cannot physically accommodate an HTM1D - not to mention the double price)
          Sub: ASW825 (Cannot accommodate an ASW855)
          Rears: In wall B&W's

Option A:

Anthem D2 preamp
          Anthem A5 amp for the center and rears
          McIntosh 402 for L/R main

Option B:

McIntosh MX135 (MX119) preamp
          McIntosh MC207 (can I, or should I biamp the extra channels to the 802D's)

Option C:

Krell Home Theatre Standard Preamp
          Krell Theatre Standard Amp

Option D:

Lexicon MC-8
          Lexicon LX-5

Option E:

Classe SSP-600
          Classe CA-5200

I have only auditioned the 802d's with the McIntosh 402 and a McIntosh C-2200(tube), so far.

My dealer is pointing me to Option A. He doesn't have Krell but maintains that they create a "bright" sound. He feels the Anthem D2 beats the Lexicon(he sells both).

Opinions on the above? Those that may have heard any of these systems in combination with the B&W speakers noted. Obviously, I am going to have to hear the finally selected system before I buy, but I am trying to narrow this down.

It should be noted that I am trying for both 2-channel excellence but also a pretty good HT sound and video experience. The D2 seems to have all kinds of bells and whistles especially now with high end video scaling.
          Again I can only testify on my own experience. IMHO the 2200 and ssp600 combo is OK,however,you can do MUCH better with the 802d /Classe : if your budget permits try to shoot for the CA-M400 monoblocks and the CP700 stereo pre amp Or the ssp600, these pre/pro /mono's offer balanced input interconnections (the 2200amp - does not), not to mention the enormous power the 400w monoblocks has to offer.. I dont think Mac can beat this combo...ask RebelMan..
          Eliav

Comment

• RLC
            • Mar 2006

B&W and Mac

I currently have a Mac MX135/MC207 combo driving a pr of 802N for front L/R, HTM1 Nautilus center, and a pr of 804N's as rear L/R. I know it's not exactly the same but haven't had any problems. I did like the sound of the Krell equipment, it's what convinced me to buy the 804's and HTM1 in the first place, 802N followed a year later. I might have purchased the Krell equipment if I had more time before the Nautilus line was phased out. I would suggest listing to as many setups as possible, using what you like to listen to.

BC

Comment

• Indytown
              • Apr 2005

I think RLC hit it on the head. "I would suggest listing to as many setups as possible, using what you like to listen to."

Krell is very nice, also expensive.

The Mac 501's are a very convincing and natural sounding amp. The detail extraction is superb, texture, top end air, and the bass and mid bass are as accurate as anything I have heard.

Quote:

"Again I can only testify on my own experience. IMHO the 2200 and ssp600 combo is OK,however,you can do MUCH better with the 802d /Classe : if your budget permits try to shoot for the CA-M400 monoblocks and the CP700 stereo pre amp Or the ssp600, these pre/pro /mono's offer balanced input interconnections (the 2200amp - does not), not to mention the enormous power the 400w monoblocks has to offer.. I dont think Mac can beat this combo...ask RebelMan.."
              Eliav

Eliav, I think the Classe rigs are very good, you would be very surprised doing a demo using Mac 501 vs. CAM 400, everthing else the same (speakers, wires, preamp, etc).

The 501's have a fuller, more texture, detailed sound to them without having to be airey. I don't want to give you the impression that it is night and day between the two, its a matter of preference at this level, but the 501's are very, very good. Also, 500 watts of double balanced power per channel.

Indy

Comment

• jlr_1304
                • Aug 2005

I have N802 and HTM1 with older 3X MC7300 as 600w monoblocs. I have also the Casablanca 3 with extreme dacs and the six shooter analog pre-amp for Mch and stereo that connects seamlessly to the CB3. I alos had a C-42 as a stereo pre-amp.

Nothing will beat a dedicated stereo pre-amp. You better listen to whatever HT pre-amp you choose in stereo mode. I've listen to a lot, and nothing will top the CB3 + SS combo for all around sound quality. Takes a lot of cables though.

Comment

• jim777
                  • Mar 2005

B&W and McIntosh are my favorite brands. I think you can't go wrong with these two.

My "dream" system is 802D's, MC501's, C2200, with my MCD201 as source.

But take my comment for what it's worth, I never listened to Classé. And did I say that I'm addicted to McIntosh's sound?

But I'm sure that the McIntosh will forgive a lot more your "harsher" recordings...

Comment

• Eliav
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Indytown
                    I think RLC hit it on the head. "I would suggest listing to as many setups as possible, using what you like to listen to."

Krell is very nice, also expensive.

The Mac 501's are a very convincing and natural sounding amp. The detail extraction is superb, texture, top end air, and the bass and mid bass are as accurate as anything I have heard.

Quote:

"Again I can only testify on my own experience. IMHO the 2200 and ssp600 combo is OK,however,you can do MUCH better with the 802d /Classe : if your budget permits try to shoot for the CA-M400 monoblocks and the CP700 stereo pre amp Or the ssp600, these pre/pro /mono's offer balanced input interconnections (the 2200amp - does not), not to mention the enormous power the 400w monoblocks has to offer.. I dont think Mac can beat this combo...ask RebelMan.."
                    Eliav

Eliav, I think the Classe rigs are very good, you would be very surprised doing a demo using Mac 501 vs. CAM 400, everthing else the same (speakers, wires, preamp, etc).

The 501's have a fuller, more texture, detailed sound to them without having to be airey. I don't want to give you the impression that it is night and day between the two, its a matter of preference at this level, but the 501's are very, very good. Also, 500 watts of double balanced power per channel.

Indy
                    Indy
                    You are right. this is a pure personal perference issue. I did not mean to underestimate Mac. it 's just that to my ears, Classe sounded more detailed with incredible nuances. I bet there are so many out there who could enjoy Mac and dislike Classe , and I respect other opinions/preferences .
                    As long as we all enjoy the music.
                    Cheers
                    Eliav

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"