• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

HTM2 vs HTM1?

Soooooo....
    Ive been looking over audiogon the last few weeks.
    And seems like the going rate for a HTM2 is in the 650-800 range and the HTM1 goes for about double that.

Is it worth the extra moola for an HTM1? Kinda what im leaning towards when I finally decide to bite the bullet.

Care to share your experiences?
    B&W
  • greggz
    • Jun 2002

If your mains have the FST driver then you want the center channel with the FST driver. Otherwise you will hear a difference in your front sound stage.

Besides the rubber surround on the Kevlar driver, the HTM2 has different crossover points than all the other speakers in the N800 series except the N805.

The HTM2 is a great center speaker, but it really was specifically designed to complement the N805's.
    Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• RNKC
      • Jun 2005

I have an HTM2 (now renamed HTM4) and Dad has the HTM1 (now renamed HTM3). The difference in sound is susbstantial. We expected a difference; we didn't expect that much difference!

The HTM1 has a much cleaner sound to it. Dialogue on movies is much more understandable on an HTM1 than on the HTM2. Not that the HTM2 sounds muddled or anything. But the HTM1 is quite simply a better speaker. I would almost say it's like comparing N805 and N803.

Comment

• caleb
        • Aug 2004

The "old" HTM1 is a brilliant centre speaker and blows the pants off the "old" HTM2, but be warned - it needs driving with a good amp to get the best out of it.

Comment

• P1et
          • Jan 2006

I'm still mad because I was 30 minutes late for picking up an HTM2 here locally for $400...

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

The Nautilus HTM1 is a far better match for your N802s than the HTM2, plus it just really sounds natural on movies and such.
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• joetama
              • May 2006

The HTM-1 is better than the HTM-2 but double the money better.... Maybe not.....
              -Joe

Comment

• shades
                • Mar 2005

I'm with joetama on double the money. However i have the htm4 and it performs very well. I upgraded my 805S to 804S so now it's inevitable that i pick up the htm1 or the htm3 for the FST. I'm leaning towards the htm1 to save a few bucks.
                B&W, McIntosh, Rotel, PS3, OPPO, Pioneer, Cat Cables, Sound Anchors

Comment

• joetama
                  • May 2006

BTW, I love the FST.......
                  -Joe

Comment

• jim777
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by joetama
                    BTW, I love the FST.......
                    You're going to need to upgrade your htm7 then

Comment

• joetama
                      • May 2006

Yea, I know it isn't FST. But, it still sounds good enough for right now. I already spent too much money and need to make sure I have money for rent, tuition, and books.....

Point being, it goes well with my 703's which are FST even though it isn't FST. Which means he would be fine with out going to the FST.....
                      -Joe

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"