X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

Should I buy a second-hand HTM1?

G'day,

I've got an opportunity to buy a second-hand cherry HTM1. I'm thinking about getting this, but only if I can get a matching second-hand N805 and N803 (my budget won't allow new speakers at this price range).

Occasionally I see N805's for sale in Australia, but I've never seen an N803 for sale. But I'm guessing (more out of hope than experience) that some may come onto the market as the new models get released.

So my questions are:
    • Is it wise to get centres, fronts, and rears that may have been used for different amounts of time (ie, 1 year vs say three years)
    • Is it wise to just get a HTM1 now, and hope that I can find matching fronts/rears later?
    • Does anyone know of N805/N803 owners in Australia who are willing to sell? (PM me if you do)
    • I'll be in the US in February -- is there a better chance of finding an N805/N803 over there?

--Geoff
  • jlee
    • Aug 2004

>Is it wise to get centres, fronts, and rears that may have been used for different amounts of time (ie, 1 year vs say three years)

I don't think 1 vs. 3 years makes a difference... now... if it was 20 years old, some properties of the materials tend to change over time and can affect the sound... but all speakers within a certain generation (eg. Nautilus from 1997 to 2004) should all sound within spec regardless of age...

>Is it wise to just get a HTM1 now, and hope that I can find matching fronts/rears later?

I don't see why not! I myself may be looking for a 2nd used HTM1 given that the new center speakers are so damn expensive...

>I'll be in the US in February -- is there a better chance of finding an N805/N803 over there?

Probably! They are for sale all the time on audiogon.

Cheers.

Comment

• hired goon
      • Aug 2004

G'day,

I'm not buying the HTM1 anymore -- I bought some Aussie speakers (VAF Signature I-93) this morning, as well as an almost-new Rotel RB-1090 amp, for far too good a price to pass up.

So I no longer need B&W speakers, and I guess the questions I asked above are moot.

--Geoff

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"