X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • luszer
    • Feb 2003

Sig 805 vs N804

Trying to extract some info on what is a higher fidelity solution. I currently have n805 and not sure if the upgrade to 804s or Sig 805s would be worth the effort and extra $$.

Will I hear a marked improvement in soundstage, smoothness, realism and overall silky presentation going to either an 804 or Sig805?

I do not mind the bass extension that the 805s provide during a 2 channel workout. I usually use the directmode on the RSP1068.

Also for the Sig805, will a HTM2 or HTM1 match better, currently using the HTM2 with the N805.

Thanks for your input

Other components: rsp1068, Arcam DV89, Aragon 3005 multichannel amp (300w X 5)
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

Hi,

it so happens that I compared my 805's with my 804's yesterday, simply because I was so bored and was looking for something to do
    I use the 804's as fronts, and the 805's as rears normally, but I wanted to hear (again) what the difference was and how big it was.
    I remember they sounded very much alike when I bought them, but my gear has undergone some changes since then so I wanted to try it again just for fun. (and to see if the money I put in the 804's had been worth it)
    First of all, I use this set in a way too small 4x3m room which also doubles as a bedroom so it's actually a bit small for 804's and you'd expect the 805 to prevail under these conditions.
    I started with the 805's, put them in the same location as the 804's usually are and used the same bi-wire cable and everything.
    Compared to what I was used to hearing from the 804's, to my big surprise the 805's didn't come even close.
    Maybe it's because they don't see that much action as rear speakers that they aren't burnt in as well as the 804's, but that aside.
    The obvious difference was the bass ofcourse, not only quantity (which is normal since it 's a much larger speaker with 2 woofers) but also the quality of the bass was significantly better.
    The 805's lacked punch and speed compared to the 804's, and everything sounded much much "flatter" with less midrange detail, and less highs.
    I was really surprised because I was expecting the 805's to perform better in the small room.
    Maybe the 804's are a bit bass heavy in this room, but they are so much clearer and so much more dynamic.
    They also presented a larger and more impressive soundstage.
    I can still remember when I bought the 805's almost a year ago, I was planning on getting 4 805's.
    But the very last moment (2 days before they arrived) I called my dealer and said I was going to take a chance and get 2 804's as fronts.
    A decision I've never regretted for a second, yes they are more expensive ($1500 extra, if you don't factor in the $500 stands for the 805's) but I find they're well worth it.
    Especially for 2-ch music, which I listen to a lot.
    I'm currently still using the HTM2 centerspeaker, but now I'm doubting if I should upgrade to the HTM1.
    Problem is I don't watch that many movies, and the HTM1 doesn't fit in my DIY rack, it's 8 cm too wide.
    But I'd hate to not buy it now, and regret it later on, especially with the upcoming release of the new 800 series which means that the current line will be discontinued very soon, and very quickly if I know B&W.

As for the Sig805's, I've never heard those but they're said to be something special.
    I'm sure they can beat the 804's in detail and imaging, well they should for that price.
    But as I've noticed these speakers are very dependent on the electronics driving them, and for a 2-ch system with a high-end preamp I think they would be worth it.
    But I think the RSP1068 will be the weak link in that chain, and the S805 will never reveal it's true nature.
    I have the RSP1098 and even that one isn't anywhere near a decent 2-ch preamp, in fact I unhook it for 2-ch listening and route my cd player directly to the poweramp (which has variable gain) and the difference is staggering.
    I'm going to get a separate stereo preamp in the future, but for now this will have to do
    Oh and I'd stick to the HTM2 for use with the S805, seems like the most logical choice.

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

To my understanding, the crossover in the sig805's allows for a more dynamic range than provided by the regular 805 and the magnet size is nearly doubled.

I've never heard them myself, but I have read where some have thought that they sound better than the 803's for music, when used with a sub.

Now, with that being said, I considered the same options, while never getting to hear the sig805, and went with the 804's. My thought is if you get an 804 for mains, and you are doing this for HT, you need to get the htm1. There is a night and day difference between the two and the htm1 blends seemlessly with the 804's.

I am very happy with my system. These speakers are very sensitive to the slightest of changes. Changing a power supply to my rotel receiver warmed them up quite a bit, and when I added the brick wall 2RAUD, the sound turned to almost that of a tube amp.

Make sure you have adequate power for either choice. I was going to upgrade my 804's to 803's, but when I saw a toshiba 46h84 for less money than the difference, I opted for a big screen since I only had a 30 inch tv.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• greggz
        • Jun 2002

There was quite a bit of discussion about the Sig805's over on Audio Asylum a while back. Try a little searching around over there.

The Sig805 has the advantage over the N805 and N804 in that its tweeter extends into the 50kHz range.

The Sig805 has several advantages over the N805. First its crossover has been redesigned to cross at 4kHz rather than 3kHz on the N805. The human ear is most sensitive to the range of frequencies between 2kHz and 5kHz. By moving the crossover further up that range it makes the speaker sound smoother. Second, it has stronger internal bracing. Third, it has beefier magnets. And fourth, the plastic "bullet" cap on the N805 woofer is now aluminum on the Sig805.

The Sig805 will have better quality bass than the N805 but not more bass than you are currently used to.

Unless you did a 3rd Sig805 for the center, I think you are going to have a tough time getting a good seamless timbre match. The HTM1 and SigHTM use the FST midrange. The FST driver sounds different than the rubber surrounded midrange/bass driver on the 805s. If you use the HTM2, then your center will have a different crossover point than the mains. In the case of both the HTM1 and HTM2 you'll have a 20kHz tweeter on your center and 50kHz tweeters on your L&R Sig805s.
        Last edited by greggz; 16 November 2004, 11:59 Tuesday.
        Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• luszer
          • Feb 2003

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I am finding it difficult to locate a pair of Sigs to demo. Also, I'd really like to see the tigers' eye in person, actually both finishes seem eye-popping.
          I perfer the standmount, mainly for their accuracy, small footprint, and overall presentation and soundstage. Also, the Sig line is just something special that I think will be cherished for a long time to come.

On a side note, the Aragon 3005 is a wonderful match with B&W. I have moved from Rotel power over to this beast of an amp.

Happy listening, Ron

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"