X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PavelL
    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
    imho, while there's nothing that stereo can do that MCH cannot do better, the reverse is not supportable. Still, I do listen to stereo A LOT simply because so much music is not (yet) available in MCH.
    Kal
    It may sound silly to some but IMHO what a good stereo system does much better is create an ILLUSION with only 2 speakers - when sound seems to be coming from between the speakers and lets you wonder as to how it is possible. MCH sounds at least not worse - but I don't see any "magic" about it :W

Comment

• johan
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by PavelL
      MCH sounds at least not worse - but I don't see any "magic" about it :W
      With 5 x 800D's and a couple of ASW855 properly setup in a good room I'm sure it will be magic!!

Comment

• PavelL
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by johan
        With 5 x 800D's and a couple of ASW855 properly setup in a good room I'm sure it will be magic!!
        Don't you get it ?!?!? 5 800Ds is no longer magic Now it is 7 800D!!! A few years from now we'll have to hang 800Ds on ceilings for that "magic" in HT

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by PavelL
          It may sound silly to some but IMHO what a good stereo system does much better is create an ILLUSION with only 2 speakers - when sound seems to be coming from between the speakers and lets you wonder as to how it is possible. MCH sounds at least not worse - but I don't see any "magic" about it :W
          So, it's about "degree of difficulty" for you. :B Please note that there are still spaces between the 5 speakers and the magic, for me, has less to do with the means than the results.

Kal (who still gets stunned by stereo on occasion)
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• drsiebling
            • Jan 2006

I'm sure that most of you are familiar with http://www.acousticsounds.com/. However, if you haven't ever visited the site, they have an excellent selection of SACD and DVD-A content.

Check it out!

-B
            Last edited by drsiebling; 06 May 2006, 10:21 Saturday.

Comment

• PavelL
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
              So, it's about "degree of difficulty" for you. :B Please note that there are still spaces between the 5 speakers and the magic, for me, has less to do with the means than the results.

Kal (who still gets stunned by stereo on occasion)
              Interesting. I never said anything about "degree of difficulty". But I do agree - there is no way I cram seven phatty 801Ds into my room. You should get some audiophile speakers yourself It does take some "degree of difficulty" - but it is worth it

Comment

• jlr_1304
                • Aug 2005

Kal : did you receive the ultimate demo disc ?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jlr_1304
                  Kal : did you receive the ultimate demo disc ?
                  If you mean the Kharma disc, no. The US distributor had never heard of it but he says he'll look into it.

Kal
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• jlr_1304
                    • Aug 2005

Ask this guy :

vkung@telus.net

disc #50946

The Ultimate Multi Channel Demo SACD.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jlr_1304
                      Ask this guy :

vkung@telus.net

disc #50946

The Ultimate Multi Channel Demo SACD.

Thanks.

Kal
                      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• JKalman
                        • Nov 2005

These are the two stores I use the most. If you join Acoustic Sounds you can register to receive the newsletter which lists new releases every few days. I recently bought five remastered Moody Blues albums in SACD.

"He's outside and looking in"

Acoustic Sounds

Music Direct

I won't buy SACDs from Amazon anymore, because they send me the normal CDs when they can't find a SACD version. This has happened to me at Best Buy as well, but with Best Buy I can drive to CT and return them, with Amazon I have to ship it back. Both a royal pain in the arse. Besides which, Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct carry a lot of Japanese SACD imports, though they are pricey as all hell. Acoustic Sounds also categorizes some high resolution discs according to whether they are no longer being produced and will soon be out of stock permanently. They also put this info in their newsletter so you can grab something before it becomes a lot harder to find.
                        Last edited by JKalman; 15 May 2006, 09:07 Monday. Reason: Oops, misspelled categorize!

Comment

• JKalman
                          • Nov 2005

Here ya go Kal, one for your preorder list! :

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by JKalman
                            Thanks but I am waiting for v2.0 where he includes setup for 5" silver discs. I can never get the anti-skate right for them. :rofl:

Kal
                            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• chuck1801
                              • Feb 2006

All music should be issued in SACD hybrid format, replacing RBCD as the standard. Let DVD-A and DualDisc be a niche market. An article at positivefeedback.com pretty much says it all. SACD hybrid discs truly reward those who purchase high quality playback equipment like B&W speakers without punishing anyone who doesn't, indeed they encourage the purchase of better speakers etc..

There are very few new hit records out on SACD hybrid, which is crazy. One of them is John Legend's Get Lifted which is terrific. When I bought that disc at Best Buy it was actually cheaper than the same title on RBCD. Why would anyone buy the RBCD when the SACD hybrid was available? Why would the studio even release a RBCD only version? Why would Best Buy even stock the RBCD? -- and the inventory of RBCD was much larger than the SACD, there were only a couple of them.

Comment

• rolski
                                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by chuck1801
                                All music should be issued in SACD hybrid format, replacing RBCD as the standard.
                                Why ? I don't think you justify your point very well.
                                I have 1600 Red-book CD's & they're perfectly fine thank you very much. I also own several DTS & DD music DVDs, a couple of DVD-A's & SACD's and to be honest they're not so fantastic - I've a TAG McLaren DVD player that plays RBCD's incredibly well within my system (with B&W 802D's) - I'm not bowled-over enough by SACD to want to go & add another piece of kit to my shelves - and nor I suspect are the hundreds of millions of people out there who already have CD & DVD players at home / in the car / in the office / elsewhere....

Comment

• Clepto
                                  • Feb 2006

Because SACD hybrids wouldn't require new hardware for people who only want the redbook layer of the sacd. But would allow people buyign the cd to take advantage of the sacd part if they had the equipment.

Of course, I'd think this would bump CD prices, and not everyone wants to be in Sony's pockets...

Comment

• JKalman
                                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Clepto
                                    Because SACD hybrids wouldn't require new hardware for people who only want the redbook layer of the sacd. But would allow people buyign the cd to take advantage of the sacd part if they had the equipment.

Of course, I'd think this would bump CD prices, and not everyone wants to be in Sony's pockets...
                                    It would be great if we could get every disc as a dual layer SACD disc. Or, if every disc were made into a DUALDISC with DVD-A tracks on the DVD side. Unfortunately, Sony won't support DVD-A tracks on their DUALDISCs because of the format war with Meridian, and most company's don't want to pay royalties to Sony for hybrid SACD usage rights. Also, the DUALDISC definition doesn't include DVD-A as a requirement for DUALDISC status.

Sucks, don't it?

I personally prefer the sound of DVD-A, but I would settle for either if both sides would get their acts together and make a last ditch effort to save one format. I admit the hybrid SACD would be the better choice because it has better backwards compatibility with CD players, since they are more ubiquitous at this point. Most cars don't have DVD players. Of course, lossy compression may one day make us appreciate and pine for the good old days of 16 bit/44.1 Khz CD formats. If only Sony had made hybrid SACD discs at the start of all this, they could have infiltrated a large segment of the audio market. They are notorious for stupid short-sighted decisions concerning their formats. The problem is that greed is of ultimate concern to them, just look at this whole Blu-Ray/HD-DVD problem brewing, another fine mess in the making.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"