X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wb2fcr
    • Dec 2005

Amp for new 804S

In a previous thread I posted regarding my recent purchase of pair of B&W 804S speakers to replace my B&W 602.5s. I'm also using B&W 600 for surrounds and B&W HTM7 for center (which needs to be upgraded to HTM3).

I'm very happy with the 804s but quickly realized the Denon 3803 would need to be upgraded. I borrowed a Rotel RB-1080 and Bryston 4B SST from my local dealer for an at home demo. The Bryston was the clear winner. In any case it was obvious I needed to upgrade the Denon, for 2 channel music.

The problem is the Bryston was more than twice the Rotel. I also think I got side tracked with 2 channel audio. I'm more like 70% HT and 30% music. I'm thinking I need a pre/pro and 5 channel amp first to replace the Denon entirely (then look into a 2 channel amp later).

I currently thinking a Rotel RMB-1075 and Rotel RSP-1068 (I can get both of these for the price of the Bryston 4B SST). Ideally the Bryston 9B SST woudl be the answer, but too much $$$ for my budget.

So I'm looking for some suggestions, comments, etc. Is the RMB-1075 going to be enough to drive the B&W 804s at lower volume? Should I consider a RB-1080 for the 804s and use the RMB-1075 for the center and surrounds? How about the Rotel RMB-1095? Over kill (and over budget)? How about the RSP-1068? Is it that much better than using the Denon as the pre/pro? I'm hoping to demo it soon, I haven't looked at yet.

Thanks!
    Dave
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

I used to have the RB-1080 with the 804S, no complaints. As people point out, Rotel is really a great "bang for the buck" product. My personal feeling is if you are mostly movies, you do not need the greatest amps. The Rotel should do fine for movie duty. A sub is probably more necessary for a great movie experience than a super high end amp. Just my two cents (which may be worth less than that since I am only a 2 ch guy and do not have a surround sound setup).
    Last edited by tboooe; 12 April 2006, 21:24 Wednesday.

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
      • May 2005

I currently own the 804S speakers and the Denon 3805 receiver. Can you expand on the difference in sound from the 2 channel music that you heard from your Denon and the Rotel and Bryston?

I have not heard my speakers in my house with a different amplifier or receiver so I am very curious as to what difference you heard between these units. Thanks for any input you can offer!

Comment

• Boone38
        • Dec 2004

I have the 804S, HTM4s and B & W inwalls for the rears. Although not perfect it sounds AWSOME. I just bought the 1075 and the 1068 with the 1060 DVD. The 1075 does a great job on the lower levels, as well as drive the 804s to as loud as I want to go with out taxing the amp.

You could look at the 1095, this will give you the extra power if needed. In my case it was not. I too listen to 70% HT and 30% music. I could not see spending the cost of the Bryston when the Rotel was such a great deal.

Good Luck

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

The RMB-1075 is probably the best price/performance amplifier in Rotel's suite. You'll have absolutely no problems driving the 804's in your HT setup. Given that you lean towards HT the 1075 and RSP-1068 would make for a great combination. Had you leaned toward two-channel I would have suggested that you look into the Bryston SP2 and 9B SST instead as it would provide you top notch performance (no compromises) in both arenas. Even at twice the price it would deliver more than double the performance.
          Last edited by RebelMan; 13 April 2006, 01:01 Thursday.
          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• alpina
            • Nov 2005

funny how we do things ... i have done things in the exact reverse to you dave in that im still trying to decide on speakers but have purchased the amps

for the 804's in a ht setup i strongly recommend the 1095 from the rotel camp - great value with lots of power and performance.

as far as speakers go, so far we have purchased 705s for rears and a aws750 sub. we are now looking at fronts - most likely will stick with b&w which will mean either 703/htm4 or 804/htm3

we have heard these speakers with 1075s, 1095s, 9b and 4bs. i think its fair to say you get what you pay for - the brystons are definitely a class act but whether they are worth the premium over the rotel offer is a very personal thing. we had hoped to go with the 9b but in the end we went with a 6b and 4b - more than enough power than we will ever need was our reasoning

think i'll start a thread soon asking for assistance with front speaker choices

good luck dave

julie
            My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• wb2fcr
              • Dec 2005

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I probably going to go for the Rotel RMB-1075 and RSP-1068. If I had the money, I'd go with the Bryston 9B and SP2, without question. Maybe next upgrade in a couple of years?

All of the Rotel stuff I've heard is good, the Bryston 4B SST was just a little better.

SPACEMANRICK
              From my comparison between the Bryston and Rotel, the Bryston was a cleaner and more detailed sounding amp. Everything was clear and tight. It's hard to describe, but once you do a side-by-side comparison you can tell the difference. Is the difference worth 3x the price? I'd say yes if you're into 2-channel music. If it's 'casual' listening, you probably wouldn't be able to tell.
              Dave

Comment

• chinets
                • Jun 2005

You say you are 70% HT and 30% Music. Then I will go for the Rotel1095 amp and the Rotel 1098 processor. They will run your 804s NO PROBLEM AT ALL!!!!!!!!! and lots of head room for your HT and they are the best buy for the money and will give Bryston a hard time to compete with these Rotels I just mentioned and this is my Honest opinion!!!
                Good Luck!
                Chinets

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"