X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kitjv
    • Dec 2007

Bryston 3B SST vs. Rotel RB-1080

I would really appreciate your thoughts on the Bryston 3 SST power amp. I was previously considering the Rotel RB-1080 with the Paradigm Studio 100s. But the Bryston was so much more musical & less fatiguing than the Rotel that I might be willing to pay the extra $1.5K.

Thank you for your input.
  • NMG
    • Oct 2004

My friend had a Bryston with his Studio 60's and to be honest, I found it to be rather dry sounding, but it may have just been the room as well.

Did you listen to the Bryston with the 100's? If you liked it more than the 1080 and think the extra dough is justified, then go for it! There is no doubt they make a great amp.

I would also add that I think the law of diminishing returns is somewhere around the price point of the gear you are looking at. I guess you have to ponder whether that extra dough could be better utilized elsewhere. Not trying to sway you from the Bryston, because they are great amps, just something else to ponder.

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Hi kitjv,

Did you listen to both amps in combination with the Rogue Perseus preamp that you have in mind?

Did you listen to the same CDs on both amps?

Were you in the same receptive frame of mind when you listened to both amps?

Some days I think that my system sounds thin and dry but on other days it sounds warm and musical. The source material and my frame of mind are the major variables.

I'm currently listening to a CD ("Let's Frolic" by Blackie and the Rodeo Kings) and it sounds gloriously warm and musical.

I'm an RB-1080 owner as you can see from my Profile.

Nigel.

Comment

• twitch54
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by kitjv
        I would really appreciate your thoughts on the Bryston 3 SST power amp. I was previously considering the Rotel RB-1080 with the Paradigm Studio 100s. But the Bryston was so much more musical & less fatiguing than the Rotel that I might be willing to pay the extra $1.5K.

if YOU think the Bryston is that much better than the Rotel, why do YOU care what anybody else thinks ??? if in fact one is "so much more musical" than the other then in truth there really is NO comparison....correct ??

Now I know "bigburner" is a Rotel owner, but given his 'homeland' I vote Plinius, I'll put my SA-102 ahead of anything Rotel or Bryston, again, IMO, and alot of others will second it !!
        Dave

Comment

• kitjv
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by twitch54
          if YOU think the Bryston is that much better than the Rotel, why do YOU care what anybody else thinks ???
          As a rookie in the field of high-end audio, I am not ashamed to admit that I have a lot to learn. Hell, that's part of the fun. Besides, $2.5K for the Bryston is not pocket change. Although my ears will be the final arbiter, I do respect the opinions of those of you who are familiar with this amp.

Comment

• twitch54
            • Apr 2006

Ok 'kitjv' , nothing wrong with being a 'newbie'

Just remember YOUR ears are the final judge and as you progress on through this crazy hobby your tastes may change, not only in music but what you perceive as how that music sounds best.

This is a public forum, so we all have our likes and dislikes, take all with a "grain of salt".

With regards to your statement on the Rotel, I too feel they are great pieces for the $$$ spent, but certianly not the 'final word'.
            Last edited by twitch54; 16 January 2008, 15:39 Wednesday.
            Dave

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by bigburner
              Hi kitjv,

Did you listen to both amps in combination with the Rogue Perseus preamp that you have in mind?

Did you listen to the same CDs on both amps?

Were you in the same receptive frame of mind when you listened to both amps?

Some days I think that my system sounds thin and dry but on other days it sounds warm and musical. The source material and my frame of mind are the major variables.

I'm currently listening to a CD ("Let's Frolic" by Blackie and the Rodeo Kings) and it sounds gloriously warm and musical.

I'm an RB-1080 owner as you can see from my Profile.

Nigel.
              There is a lot of good solid advice in this thread. All have their merits.

None of the amps mentioned have ever graced my home. I did however, go from what I considered to be a very good amp ( Fosgate Audionics 560 ) to an Emotiva LPA-1. Neither of these being in the price range of the fine amps mentioned here.

So, my point you ask (yes I'm getting to it)? I'm tickled pink with the lesser amp! Yes both sound great to my ears, in my system. And still, they each offer something a tad different to the sound.

I also 100% agree with bigburner, on source, material and attitude playing an important part of what is being heard at that moment. I feel that my system can go from dry to wet ( :B ) and all things in between in a given listening session. A good example would be, I'm in the mood for something lively but, a mellow piece is playing (or vice versa). No matter how good it "may" sound, my head just hears annoying!

Enough ramble, I think you could be very happy with either amp. At the end of the day, you should not have to say "I wish I had...".
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by kitjv

Thank you for your input.
                Just buy my Bryston 7B monos for $1900 and call it a day
                B&W

Comment

• gianni
                  • Nov 2002

While the Bryston is a good amp, I have never heard anyone describe it as soothing or polite for that matter. Not suggesting which way to go as that is a personal decision. I would say to make sure this percieved difference can attributed to the amps... much good info on this in these forims. For starters, you might want to search for posts by Victor.
                  Last edited by gianni; 19 January 2008, 16:00 Saturday.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                    • Sep 2001

Bryston doesn't "voice" its amps to sound any particular way. They just play the music clean (undistorted) without Cuisinarting into Pablum or sending it to charm school. :>)

I wouldn't consider "soothing" or "polite" to be good attributes for an amplifier if that means the amp mushes up the music instead of rendering it the way it was performed and recorded.

If I want my music to sound "soothing", I'll select something that was composed and performed to sound that way from the get go, like smooth jazz or Brahms "Lullaby", and expect my amp to accurately reproduce it that way. And I sure don't want my amp to make Jimi Hendrix sound "polite". :>)

So bring on the Brystons!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"