• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

a Pick or a Pass?

Hi Guys!!!

I am looking for some input on an offer I just got from my local dealer.

He has a set of DM4's along with a CMC (demos) and said I could get them home for $1400.

My listening habits are 70% music ( mostly in 2-Channel) / 30% HT (5.1). I am using an RSP-1066 pre/pro and two RB980BX’s to bi-amp my front mains ( a set of Signet SL280B’s I’ve been very happy with for 12 years). The Signets are very crisp, clean, and tight with surprising LF ability for 2-ways, and seem to work very well for Jazz which dominates my CD library; but I am looking to improve the mid range SQ.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated!

TIA
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • Trevor
    • May 2005

I jsut wanted to ask where the closest dealer is in Pittsburgh. I am originally from there but did not get into audio till I moved to Albuquerque. I am going to move back in about a year when I am done with school and just wanted to know the best shop to go to. Sorry I have never listened to those speakers before so I could not give you some opinions.
    Trevor

Comment

• wkhanna
      • Jan 2006

Hey Homie!!!!

I have always said that you don’t appreciate the Burgh till live somewhere else. Glad to hear you are coming home and hope it is cuz you want to.

Anyway, there is an official Rotel dealer in Shadyside, I have never been there. Very ‘high nose’ shopping district, don’t think you will find any deals there.

Audio Junction is in Brookline, but they have just dropped Rotel and B&W. I bought my first Rotel gear there 12 years ago, two RB980BX’s, and I just picked up a RB-1050 for $300 as he is clearing out what little is left of the two lines.

Fortunately, one of the forum members here is also from the Burgh, and told me of a place called Audio Visions, they have three stores in the greater Cleveland area, and according to my source, it’s the place! They have a web site, and I have talked to a few of the sales guys by phone. All very helpful and accommodating. I will be making an overnight trip out to Cleveland in two weeks (less than two hours away) so my daughter can see the R&R Hall of Fame for her B-day, so I plan on stopping in then.

Stay in touch, Trevor!
      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wca156
        • Jun 2005

I'm from Pittsburgh (home of the Super Bowl champs) and recently got my system. I have B&W 803S fronts, HTM3S centre, CCM 65 rears, B&K AVR 507S receiver, Rotel 1072 and M&L Depth. I tried to get a deal in Pittsburgh but no luck. In fact, when I tried to get a demo from the store in Shadyside I was told that they dealt primarily with new home installation and would not be getting in the 704S to audition. I went to Audio Vision in Ohio and they took really good care of me. I was able to demo the 704S and I loved the 803S. I would highly recommend them.
        Bill

Comment

• Trevor
          • May 2005

I will have to add to my sytem when we buy a new house back in the burgh. Grew up in Bethel Park. Looking for a house in Peters Township due to lower taxes. I hate to leave my dealer here in Albuquerque they are awesome. Anytime I want to demo a unit they let me take it for a week or so no questions asked. Do you guys have a dedicated listening room? If I can find the right house with a finished basement I want to build a dedicated room and maybe a home theater setup with htm2 and 805 for the rears.
          Thanks for the Info

Comment

• Trevor
            • May 2005

That seems weird that shadyside store is kinda of snobish. I just purchased a Rotel RCD-1072 here in Santa Fe, NM. Everyone knows of Santa Fe's reputation for being really snobbish. The store was excellent, salespeople were really cool and actually let me do comparison between the Dennon 2910 and Rotel for about two hours on three systems they had set up. Thats too bad, I really like to go and visit my dealer and hear the new equipment, I guess I will miss that when I leave. My dealer is only a five minute drive from my house?
            Trevor

Comment

• wkhanna
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Trevor
              Do you guys have a dedicated listening room?
              I sure do! Funny thing is, my wife still refers to it as the Living Room, and on some ocasions, My (as in me) Bedroom?

Originally posted by Trevor
              That seems weird that Shadyside store is kinda of snobish.
              I have found most stores, regardless off the brands they represent, reflect the personality of the owner more than the brands they carry. Each store has its own personalty, and finding a good one can be like finding a best friend. Few and far in between, but very special when you do discover one.
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

Never mind guys, I decided to pass on the CM4's.

I want the best mains I can budget for since I use 2-channel for music 70% and Multi for HT about 30%.

Looks as though I can't avoid the 8 series, but with my limited budget, maybe I can find used ones down the road.
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"