X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goe2112
    • Feb 2005

hypothectical question on 800 woofers

Just a question to ponder,
    Could someone get better bass out of the Nautilus series by changing the woofers to the new 800 series woofers. As an N804 owner I've always heard that the bass is lacking and I believe it is true, but only due to the woofers size. What do you fellow B&W owners believe. Is it possible to get better bass out of the Nautilus series speakers, particular the N804, by changing out the woofers with the 800 series?
    I myself don't plan on doing this but I wonder if this could be an easy upgrade for better bass, if there is such a thing with the N804s.
  • Sim reality
    • Aug 2005

This is probably best answered in the DIY forum but here is my opinion:

I think the lack of base has mostly has to do with effeciency of the woofer which is primarily affected by 2 things:

1. The size of the cabinet
    2. The size of the woofer

Because you are not changing the cabinet size nor the the woofer size I think changing out the driver would make little to no difference to the output of the bass. You would probably get more of a effect changing the port size but this would result in a loss in control of the driver and give "sloppy" base.

Comment

• Ryx
      • Oct 2005

I don't belive getting the new rohacell drivers, and putting them in your cabinets is going to to give you the results you are looking for. you would be better off upgrading to one of the larger floorstanders considering you have the smallest of the 800 series. the new drivers may be better then the old ones, but the crossover and port in the 804Ns will be tuned for the older drivers and may not match the new drivers characteristics very well.

if you are looking for condiderably more bottum end you may want to consider adding a sub to your setup. or if you are looking for just that little bit more a good powerfull amp may be all you need (depending on what amp you currently have). otherwise it may be time to look up the ladder to an 803 or larger to find the extended lows you are looking for!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"