X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b&w fan
    • Feb 2006

CDM 9NT Now?

Yes!

Shopping in El Cairo for high end audio is not easy, they have it all but you have to search a lot to find what you are looking for ...

As I mention in a previous thread I am decided for the B&W DM604 S3, I have located them and have them ready to be picked up ....,

BUT

The seller told me that he has a brand new pair of CDM 9NT for US$ 1.125 (both speakers).

I read in internet that B&W is not producing any more these speakers and I have never listen to them and I have not the chance to audition them to make my own conclusions ...

How do they compare with the DM604 S3?
    What do you recommend me?

By the way, the DMs are US$ 1.880.

I am looking forward to hear from you ...!
  • kurtholz
    • Feb 2005

The CDM9nt is a significantly better speaker, i have had both, it really was a very good value when produced, you have to spend a lot more to go up from there

good luck

Kurt

Comment

• worldys
      • Dec 2005

i though the cdm9nt sounded close to the nautilus 804, it has the FST midrange and nautilus tweeter, it was an excellent value and is a steal at your quoted price, assuming the seller is legit, i think you are better off with the 9nts than the 604s3

Comment

• UCLAman
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by worldys
        i though the cdm9nt sounded close to the nautilus 804, it has the FST midrange and nautilus tweeter, it was an excellent value and is a steal at your quoted price, assuming the seller is legit, i think you are better off with the 9nts than the 604s3

I agree. If the price and speakers are legit. You should jump on that deal!! :lol:

Comment

• b&w fan
          • Feb 2006

The deal

I will certainly jump on it!
          Too bad that only have them black, but it would be a dream if I can also choose the finish ...

Comment

• JürgenW
            • Jul 2004

I compared both speakers, the CDM 9NT is much better. I bough a set a few years ago (and use them today as surround speakers).

Thus: buy them.

Comment

• Ryx
              • Oct 2005

If it were me I would buy the CDM 9NTs. I actually plan on picking up a pair for myself to build a dedicated 2channel system with. that would leave my current 600 series 5.1 system for HT duties

go for it! :T

Comment

• Miroku
                • Jul 2004

Your sotry sounds similar to mine... I was originally out to buy a pair of 604s but I auditioned the 9NT and decided the difference was more than worth it. the 9NT is still my main speaker, and I love them.

Comment

• b&w fan
                  • Feb 2006

Audition

I auditioned the CDM9NTs with the Plinius amplifier and I think there is something wrong with the speakers. It looks to me that tweeters are not working. Sound was powerful but very much toward mids and low frequencies. I played Ella Fitzgerald and it became close to unconfortable. They say will get the twister replaced, I think it is risky business since the replacement will be done by the seller.
                  What do you think?
                  Is there a way to test each component without unassembling?, thinking particularly of tweeters ...

Comment

• DTK
                    • Jan 2006

Is the seller a B&W dealer of an independant? if they are an independant i would ask to be there when they change the tweeters, make sure that they are original B&W parts they still make them.

Makes me wonder though why the tweeter has gone, did it damage the crossover when they blew etc..

If you have the money though and you want to take the risk, please go for the 9NTs they sound great for both 2 channel and in a 5.1
                    RDV1080, RCD1072, RSP1066, RB1080, RMB1075
                    CDM 9NTx2, CDM CNTx1, CDM 1NTx2
                    Yamaha YST-315 (looking for a proper sub to match)
                    DA-LITE 16:9 Sony HS-60
                    Oppo 971HD
                    QED SR Hdmi

Comment

• Djas_Puhr
                      • Jun 2005

As far as testing goes, there are a number of commercially available CD's that contain frequency sweeps (20Hz to 20kHz). There are also downloadable computer programs that let you create such audio tracks. If you have access to a Radioshack SPL meter or equivalent (you could probably even do it by ear) you could get a rough idea of what the frequency response of each speaker is from 4kHz to 20kHz (the tweeter's region). If the response is not smooth throughout the tweeter region (as the midrange response falls off) it may indicate a damaged tweeter or crossover.

Mj
                      "Don't mock the speakers... They have you surrounded." :

Comment

• kurtholz
                        • Feb 2005

it's sp easy, and a non-issue, put your ears up to the tweeter, if you hear something, it works, if not, they cost about $90 to get a new pair, no big deal, the CDM9nt is a better speaker in the long range

but, if they have been abused that is another whole issue, you will have to decide that

good luck'

Kurt

Comment

• style
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Feb 2006

CDM 9nt why not?
                          I have CDM 7nt for rear (front 703 - center htm7) and i think that the 7nt or better 9nt is a realy good speaker. sure better as 705!!!

b&w fan : buy then 100% :T :T

Comment

• bigburner
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

I went in to buy DM604 S3 and came out with CDM 9NT. As time goes by I like my CDM 9NT's more and more. I experienced a lot of brightness initially but they are now tamed (or perhaps I've just got used to them!). For some reason my CDM 9NT's sound best with DVDs, which are my main source of serious listening these days.

I am very suspicious of the cheap price you've been offered. Obviously it's due to the faults that you have heard. It makes me think that the faults may be serious.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"