X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brocka
    • May 2007

Possible amp upgrade for 805s?

Hi All

Trying to decide which amp would work better with my 805s. Both of these are on the second hand market so I wont have a chance to listen to them so any feedback from people who have heard or used them would be great. Here they are:

Arcam FMJ A35/P35 in a bi-amped set up

OR

NAD Master Series M3 Dual Mono Integrated Amp

I know the NAD has the advantage in raw power output (180watts/ch) but the Arcam set up would be bi-amped so may have better control of the speakers Both are available at considerably less than their RRP.

I currently use an Arcam AVR350 and P90 in a biamped set up to drive my 805's at the moment with an Arcam CD192 CD player and am looking to improve my 2 channel performance.

Regards
    brocka
  • Indytown
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by brocka
    Hi All

Trying to decide which amp would work better with my 805s. Both of these are on the second hand market so I wont have a chance to listen to them so any feedback from people who have heard or used them would be great. Here they are:

Arcam FMJ A35/P35 in a bi-amped set up

OR

NAD Master Series M3 Dual Mono Integrated Amp

I know the NAD has the advantage in raw power output (180watts/ch) but the Arcam set up would be bi-amped so may have better control of the speakers Both are available at considerably less than their RRP.

I currently use an Arcam AVR350 and P90 in a biamped set up to drive my 805's at the moment with an Arcam CD192 CD player and am looking to improve my 2 channel performance.

Regards
    brocka
    I would look into a pre-amp and amp upgrade "to improve my 2 channel performance".

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Hi Brocka
      Yes a pre-amp might well do the trick. I would have suggested my Conrad Johnson Pv14L2 as a possible option. Unfortunately it has recently been sold by Caxton Audio. It had the advantage of theatre by-pass which would allow you to continue using your existing components. Very nice pre-amp that made a big difference for me.

One of the guys at our audio club (June meeting system http://www.qldaudioclub.org.au/ ) is using a NAD M3 now - have not asked him how it is going but can do so at our christmas meeting.

What sort of improvement are you looking for - ie how do you feel your current system is under performing?
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• brocka
        • May 2007

Hi Briz Vegas

As you can see from my post I am currently running my CD player into my AVR350. Although the pre-amp section in this is ok for stereo listening I guess I'm looking for all the improvements that come with a dedicated 2 channel set up, be that a pre/power combo, integrated only or integrated/power set up. I want to be able to integrate what ever option I go with into my HT set up so am looking for something with a HT input/bypass mode (like your CJ CA200 has!).

The arcam set up I mentioned above has this option BUT the NAD M3 dosen't which would mean I would have to adjust the volume on one of the line level inputs when watching movies (a pain I know but I don't seem to be watching many these days anyway!!) but could live with that if the NAD M3 was considerably better than the Arcam set up.

Comment

• Pato
          • Dec 2006

Hi there,

Had my 805S with the NAD S300 and IMHO it was a winning combination.

Yesterday my new 802D arrived and the NAD sucks the meat out of their bones...

But pay attention, the S300 has little to do with the new Master Series.
          Lyngdorf CD1 - NAD S300 - B&W 802D

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"