X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caleb
    • Aug 2004

802s - large or small??

This question was prompted by another "SWEET SPOT" thread that I have just read.

On my (TAG McLAREN) processor, I have the option to set the front speakers to large or small.

This redirects the lower frequencies to the subwoofer at different cut off frequencies.

I have a pair of 802s, so I set mine to "large" because they ARE large! !

What are the forum members experience of this?

I look forward to a good and informative set of answers on this matter.
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

I'm wondering about this as well. If one sets the "subwoofer" setting to "off", will ALL the lower frequencies then be sent to the speakers set to "large"? What if you only had small speakers and set these speakers to "small" and the subwoofer to "off" ... would the very low frequencies (below a set crossover point) simply be muted?

When I get my set up next month, I'm considering whether or not to set my N804's (which I'll be using as rears) to "small".

Comment

• georgev
      • Jul 2004

Hi Caleb,
      Good to see you back.
      I set my Pre(Denon AVC A1SRA) to large for my 802's. This sends a full range signal to the two fronts. This I do because my 802's apart from being physically large are full range speakers.
      It I were to have a pair of 805's I would set them to small and thus redirect all low frequencies(from what level will depend on your settings), to the twin Servo 15's.
      I have also kept the setting for the centre to large as I am using the HTM1.
      Shadow, I would set the 804's also to large.
      Hope this helps,
      George.

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Ok, thanks George :T

Comment

• franklin_ron
          • Feb 2006

Shadow,

I purchased a B&W system in Jan. It is 802D's, HTM2D, and 804s. I have the 804s set to full. It seems to me that they blend better with the 802s on this setting (I am using a Revel B15 for the sub). I'm still breaking in. After that, I will try switching from Lage to Small. Good luck with your new system. I love mine so far.

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

the THX spec calls for all speakers to be set to small and 80hz.This is for bass mgmt.

the only problem I have with this, is if I want my pre/pro to do 2 ch. i have to either listen with the sub, or go in and manually change the setting back to large if i want my speakers to do the full range, which they should do. (i have n802's)
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Race Car Driver
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

On my Sunfire TGII i have them set to large for my 802s also, when at small, I can choose the crossover freq from 80/100/120hz.
              I suppose I would set them to small/80 if I had a sub though.
              B&W

Comment

• ShadowZA
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by franklin_ron
                Shadow,

I purchased a B&W system in Jan. It is 802D's, HTM2D, and 804s. I have the 804s set to full. It seems to me that they blend better with the 802s on this setting (I am using a Revel B15 for the sub). I'm still breaking in. After that, I will try switching from Lage to Small. Good luck with your new system. I love mine so far.
                Thanks franklin_ron It's great to see that I'm not the only one who wants to keep the 804's as rear partners for some biggies ... (My 803D's are already at my dealer ... I'm just waiting for the amp ... & then delivery). I trust you are really enjoying your system. Will soon be joining you in audio bliss :T

Comment

• RobP
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

I have my N803s, HTM1, and N805's all set to the small setting and let the sub handle the bass duties. My dealer suggest that only true full range speakers be set to the large setting.
                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• RobP
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Here is another reference on the topic at hand, this is from my Rotel manual from the RSX1065......

Home theater speaker systems vary in their
                    size and performance, particularly in bass
                    output. Surround sound processors feature
                    steering logic which sends bass information
                    to the speaker(s) best able to handle it – subwoofers
                    and/or large speakers. For optimum
                    performance, you must tell the RSX-1065 what
                    types of speakers are in your system.
                    The following configuration instructions refer
                    to LARGE and SMALL speakers, referring more
                    to their bass performance than physical size.
                    A full-range speaker with extended bass response
                    is considered LARGE. A compact
                    speaker with limited bass response or power
                    handling is considered SMALL.
                    As a general rule, the system will redirect bass
                    information away from SMALL speakers and
                    send it to the LARGE speakers and/or the
                    SUBWOOFER in your system.
                    Things become more complex with a subwoofer.
                    For example, the system will generally
                    not redirect bass information away from
                    a LARGE speaker to the subwoofer. Thus, you
                    must decide if you want a particular speaker
                    to play the deep bass or whether the deep
                    bass should be sent to the subwoofer. If you
                    have a subwoofer, you might decide to send
                    all of the bass to it, regardless of how capable
                    the other speakers in the system may be. In
                    this case, you would tell the RSX-1065 that all
                    of your speakers are SMALL, without regard
                    to how big they may actually be.
                    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

I currently have my main (803S's), center (HTM3S) and my surrounds (SCMS's) all set to SMALL. I like the freedom it gives me to adjust for crossover frequencies which are set to 40Hz, 60Hz and 80Hz respectively. This setting essentially drives my 803S's as though they were set to LARGE without struggling to deliver the very lowest frequencies which they could not handle. When I had them set to LARGE some bass was noticeably absent in the system. I let my ASW-825 subwoofer handle the extra bass and the very important LFE signal. I don't expect to change my mains back to LARGE until I have the 800D's in my stable.

Shadow, if you set your system up without a subwoofer, then all speakers set to LARGE will share in the responsiblity of reproducing all the lower frequencies plus the LFE. Good thing your speakers come equipped with a bass kicking Krell to back them up.
                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• ShadowZA
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

I like what you've done, RebelMan. Can't wait to start experimenting. :dance:

Comment

• franklin_ron
                          • Feb 2006

Shadow, what amp are you getting? I am currently using a Krell KAV2250 for the 802Ds and a Krell TAS for the rest. I am gong to get a new amp for the fronts. Looking for ideas. We may need to switch this to a amp thread.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Franklin_ron, I've ordered the Krell KAV-3250 to power the front end (803D's + HTM2D). It was quite tough making the decision ... you can see this in the NuForce thread: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=17877

In the end, however, I'm happy with what I have done. A snag is that there are only stocks of the KAV-3250 in "Krellcoat" here in ZA ... and I've ordered mine in "luxurious black" ... so I have been told that my amp should be available around mid-March. I'm ok with this as we are renovating the house at the moment with completion budgeted at next week.

I've maxed the "audiophile" budget for this year and so will be powering the 2 rear N804's using my present Rotel RMB-1075 amp + using the current Rotel RSP-976 Surround Processor for the next 12 months or so. Next year I hope to upgrade this processor and am hoping to spend most of this year on research in this direction.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your thoughts on your Krell KAV-2250 powering your 802D's? What amp do you have in mind as your upgrade for the fronts?

Comment

• franklin_ron
                              • Feb 2006

Shadow, For my ears, when I power the 802d's with the 2250, bass tends to turn a little mushy. As a work around, I have bi-amped using the 2250 for the top, and two of the TAS channels for the bottom. I am looking at a McIntosh MC402, Krell 400cx, or a McCormack DNA 500. I am also considering keeping the Krell and adding NuForce 9's for the bottom. Of course, that would be the most cost effective solution. Gain appears OK for this idea. Not sure of digital amps. but everything I read looks good.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by franklin_ron
                                Shadow, For my ears, when I power the 802d's with the 2250, bass tends to turn a little mushy. As a work around, I have bi-amped using the 2250 for the top, and two of the TAS channels for the bottom. I am looking at a McIntosh MC402, Krell 400cx, or a McCormack DNA 500. I am also considering keeping the Krell and adding NuForce 9's for the bottom. Of course, that would be the most cost effective solution. Gain appears OK for this idea. Not sure of digital amps. but everything I read looks good.
                                Thanks for sharing that, Franklin_ron. It would be great to know what you eventually settle for. Nfjason (of NuForce) mentions in the NuForce thread ( http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=17877 ) that they do have a plan to offer a more powerful power amp. Maybe this could be worth waiting for.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"