B&W HTM3S and HTM4S: Large or Small settings?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • K.K.
    • Jul 2005

B&W HTM3S and HTM4S: Large or Small settings?

This is from the B&W thread regarding choosing the HTM3S and HTM4S for HT purpose. I am starting this over here in case there are other HT experts who uses either of these centre speakers who can advise and in case the Moderator thinks I have broken the rules in the B&W thread.

For HTM3S or HTM4S owners using for HT (not multi-channel audio), do you set the AV processor to Large or Small for your HTM3S?

The following is an excerpt from an interview with Guy Kuo from AVIA DVD advising setting to Small and let the subwoofers handle the LFE.

"The setting of speaker size and bass management tremendously affects how bass is handled for each channel. Speakers set to "small" have their low bass routed to the bass output channel (s) which can be either just the subwoofer , the "large" speakers or some combination of subwoofer and large speaker depending on how the receiver is set up.

We highly recommend setting all speakers to "small" because the very very low bass content down to the 20's Hz simply is not as well reproduced by most main speakers as a dedicated sub. Even if one has powered subs inside the main speakers, room placement of those speakers is rarely if ever the best location for bass reproduction. By setting the speakers to "small" you give each speaker a chance to excel in what they do best.

If a speaker is set to "large" its low bass content will not be sent to the subwoofer output. Remember this!"

If this is the case, then would it matter whether it is an HTM3S or HTM4S since anything below 80hz gets passed through to the subwoofer under HT DTS Surround or Dolby Digital Surround?

I agree that it would matter if using for multi-channel audio but I am not keen on multi-channel audio in my case.

Any ideas on this?
  • JetFlyGuy
    • Jan 2005

I have heard different things from different people, but I prefer setting large and then setting the crossover to the 803S and HTM3S to 60Hz to leave some headroom. (Classe SSP-600/CA-5200)

Comment

• misterdoggy
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

htm3s large - htm4s small

Comment

• junior77blue
        • Nov 2004

Really depends on your processor and bass management.

If your ONLY options are LARGE & small, then it really doesn't matter what center (unless it's capable of playing down to 20Hz) it should be placed on the small setting.

However, the High Pass crossover point is where it gets tricky...I would say 80Hz for HTM4s and 60Hz for the HTM3s. Not every processor has this capability, but most (if not all) newer models do.

Comment

• marshahu_cr
          • Aug 2003

I suppose there are various other technical factors behind setting the speakers which many experts in this forum will be able to point out but in a situation like this I just use my ears to judge. It's a matter of personal preference!

When listening to multi channel sources like Dolby Digital or DTS soundtracks in movies I simply set the speakers onto small so that all the low frequencies are directed to the sub woofer. The bass wont be so directional and harsh and also the main speakers will be left to reproduce the mid-high frequency sounds, which it will be able to do superbly now that it wont get distorted through attempting to reproduce the low frequencies. Meanwhilst the subwoofer will be able to reproduce all the low frequency effects with all the "oomph" that you get in the theater. That setting has always done me good. After all, surely the Dolby Laboratories and Digital Theater Systems website would tell you how to set up your system so you can enjoy their soundtracks at optimum level

When listening to stereo sources such as CDs or DAB radio I choose to put the speakers on large so that the mains can reproduce the low freuqency effects. In many mixes that I listen to on the DAB radio I found that the DJ decides to place the bassline in just the Left or Right speaker to create a nice powerful bassline, and with the large setting the mains speakers can produce these well, while it doesn't sound so good on small. I'm into Hip Hop, Rap, Garage, Dance, R n B, and Drum and Bass which certainly excels at this setting, with the subwoofer being left to pick up the pieces should one DJ be daring enough to reproduce a frequency low enough! :lol:

I must warn you though - I am a bit of a bass fiend, so I always like to set my subwoofers and receivers at the setting which gives me the most bass. : Many people have called me mad for having a set of Mains with Subwoofers built in along with a Subwoofer! :P

At the end of the day I reccommend adjusting the settings depending on what you mostly use your setup for and what sounds good and comfortable to you.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"