X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goe2112
    • Feb 2005

Feedback from speaker

Gruetzi (hello in swiss) everyone,

The other day I experienced for the second time in about a year feedback from one of my N804s I was watching a movie and got up and walked past my speaker and noticed the sound just stopped comming from the speaker, only for a second. I went and turned the amp up a little and then there was feedback ( humming sound only ) coming from the speaker and it appeared to get louder ( regenerated feedback perhaps ? ), I immediately turned the amp off and waited a few seconds and turned it back on, and all was fine after that. This problem occured once before but I thought is was a fluke of some sort. I was wondering if this problem could be caused by speaker placement. This particular speaker is about 22" from the back wall, one side is opened to the rest of the living room and the other side is about 14" from the entertainment center. When this occured, both times, the volume was not loud at all and the feedback appeared to be at the lower frequencies, also I keep my bass and treble controls flat. Another note I have wooden floors and my speakers are spiked. Just curious what may cause this problem.
    Appreciate any inputs.
    Joe
    • Nov 2005

HI,
    I doubt very much that you have feedback problem. More likely is an intermittant problem with your electronics. Since it does not happen often or predictably, it may be very difficult to repair. I would talk to a good hi fi repairman. I feel for you. This could be a tough one.

Sparky
    Last edited by Karma; 07 February 2006, 07:09 Tuesday.

Comment

• JKalman
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by goe2112
      Gruetzi (hello in swiss) everyone,

The other day I experienced for the second time in about a year feedback from one of my N804s I was watching a movie and got up and walked past my speaker and noticed the sound just stopped comming from the speaker, only for a second. I went and turned the amp up a little and then there was feedback ( humming sound only ) coming from the speaker and it appeared to get louder ( regenerated feedback perhaps ? ), I immediately turned the amp off and waited a few seconds and turned it back on, and all was fine after that. This problem occured once before but I thought is was a fluke of some sort. I was wondering if this problem could be caused by speaker placement. This particular speaker is about 22" from the back wall, one side is opened to the rest of the living room and the other side is about 14" from the entertainment center. When this occured, both times, the volume was not loud at all and the feedback appeared to be at the lower frequencies, also I keep my bass and treble controls flat. Another note I have wooden floors and my speakers are spiked. Just curious what may cause this problem.
      Appreciate any inputs.
      Joe
      If there is feedback occuring, it is probably being generated in one of your components and not the speaker.

Comment

• RobP
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Sounds like a interconnect problem.
        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• goe2112
          • Feb 2005

Thanks guys for your input and I appreciate your time in replying to my question.
          I suspected my electronics but wanted to make sure. I never had a problem with my amp, so I thought, perhaps it was the placement of the speaker being to close to the wall. Unfortunately, I must come to a realization that my amp is just old and needs replaced. After 15 years traveling with me to 3 continents, different voltages, set up/tear down, it's time to look for a new amp. Although, I started looking for a new amp, but at this time I won't be purchasing anything until it goes kaputt ( ex wife wants .... you get the picture.)
          Thanks again for your time and inputs, they are greatly appreciated.
          Joe

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"