X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azabu243
    • Dec 2005

center speaker dilemma.

Hi to all sound enthusiasts.

Like many others I am new to the forum and have used much of the advice in setting up my system – Thank you to all those who have posted such detailed advice.

I need some specific advice on which center speaker I should use. I have 703’s as front speakers (which sound awesome to me) and have taken advice of the dealer that the lcr60 would be an appropriate center speaker. I did purchase and install this and so far have been disappointed. The center speaker seems to dominate all even when set at low volume. My rear speakers are my old 601’s and I use a NAD 773 A/V receiver which has separate volume control for rear/center and sub woofer.

Could it be that the LCR60 it is not compatible with the 703’s? Is this overpowering center speaker a common problem? Should I upgrade to the HTM7. Is it because of bad balancing? I have been an avid stereo purist and find the 5.1 channel thing a little disappointing right now and this may be my own doing.
    I look forward to any advice.

Thanks in advance

Peter
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

Two things I would do first:
    1. Balance each channel with an SPL meter
    2. Make sure the receiver is in a 5.1 digital mode and not Pro Logic

Even with unmatched centers, I haven't heard any MAJOR problems with properly balanced setups. Hopefully others have more experience with your specific combination.
    Danish

Comment

• grit
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by azabu243
      Hi to all sound enthusiasts.

Like many others I am new to the forum and have used much of the advice in setting up my system – Thank you to all those who have posted such detailed advice.

I need some specific advice on which center speaker I should use. I have 703’s as front speakers (which sound awesome to me) and have taken advice of the dealer that the lcr60 would be an appropriate center speaker. I did purchase and install this and so far have been disappointed. The center speaker seems to dominate all even when set at low volume. My rear speakers are my old 601’s and I use a NAD 773 A/V receiver which has separate volume control for rear/center and sub woofer.

Could it be that the LCR60 it is not compatible with the 703’s? Is this overpowering center speaker a common problem? Should I upgrade to the HTM7. Is it because of bad balancing? I have been an avid stereo purist and find the 5.1 channel thing a little disappointing right now and this may be my own doing.
      I look forward to any advice.

Thanks in advance

Peter
      I'd consider slapping your dealer. No, the LCR60 is not well matched to the 703's. And as a 703 owner (and I also love them), I can tell you (as most everyone else will) the HTM7 (also own that) is not well matched to the 703's either. Great match for the 704's or 705's though. Probably the closest match for the 703's is any non-diamond 800 series center.

All that being said, I completely agree with azabu243. Get a sound meter and a test DVD and calibrate your system before you do anything else. Then try again. I don't think my center matches my L&R well, but I'm not terribly disappointed... just found an excuse to upgrade

BTW, I had NO idea they didn't match well and was happy as a clam for the first 6-9 months I owned the system.

Comment

• RobP
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Hello Peter,

I would suggest that your center channel should match your mains in a ideal world, it just depends how picky you are. For me I would have them match. This will make the whole front stage presentation believable, IF you have them properly calibrated and properly placed.
        I dont know how you have the center placed in relation to your left and right speaker. but the center should sit back slighty(not much maybe a couple of inches) from the other two speakers to help in the imaging of voices on your screen, the center channel speaker has more of a horizontal dispersion pattern than the mains, so if it sits on a even plane it will dominate the front stage. Once you find the right spot for it, you can set your levels.
        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

azabu

I would in this order check,

1. make sure the placement is correct 'height' of your center speaker is within 12 inches of your fronts and general placement

2. measure with an spl meter outputs on your setup and make sure first that your dbs are the same throughout from your listening position.

3. Check your listening mode to make sure you have the right one selected

If this checks out and there is still too much of a difference, then you are dealing with the "timbre" or the particular sound that comes from any speaker. If one speaker has more body, depth, open, warm or all the things that describe different sounds, then the speakers are not compatible. Ideally the speakers should have the same "timbre" and blend in together. What you may be hearing is different speakers sending different sounds of the same source. In this case you would do better with something closer to the 703's.

Comment

• Djas_Puhr
            • Jun 2005

Hey Peter,

I used an LCR6s2 center-channel for a couple of years with my Nautilus 803's. There was certainly a difference in timbre as misterdoggy suggested that made the pairing of LCR6 and 803 a less-than-optimal match. Even so, I did not find that I was unable to achieve a convincing front soundstage when watching DVD's (I rarely listened to music in surround). I found that I had best results when the tweeters of the front three speakers were vertically within about 6-12 inches of each other. Also, because of the large space open behind the speakers and actually ended up boosting the signal to my LCR6. I agree with the others here that your problems likely arise from a setup (ProLogic or level settings) or room issue (distance from you to LCR60 verses distance to your 703's) and not from the LCR60s3.

Mj
            "Don't mock the speakers... They have you surrounded." :

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"