X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azabu243
    • Dec 2005

center speaker dilemma.

Hi to all sound enthusiasts.
    Like many others I am new to the forum and have used much of the advice in setting up my system – Thank you to all those who have posted such detailed advice.

I need some specific advice on which center speaker I should use. I have 703’s as front speakers (which sound awesome to me) and have taken advice of the dealer that the lcr60 would be an appropriate center speaker. I did purchase and install this and so far have been disappointed. The center speaker seems to dominate all even when set at low volume. My rear speakers are my old 601’s and I use a NAD 773 A/V receiver which has separate volume control for rear/center and sub woofer.

Could it be that the LCR60 it is not compatible with the 703’s? Is this overpowering center speaker a common problem? Should I upgrade to the HTM7. Is it because of bad balancing? I have been an avid stereo purist and find the 5.1 channel thing a little disappointing right now and this may be my own doing.
    I look forward to any advice.

Thanks in advance

Peter
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

Hi Peter, welcome to the Guide. It sounds to me that it could be a balancing problem. But first, Are you using the center channel for Home theater (Movies) or Two channel listenning?

If you are listenning in 2Chnl. Then you'll need to have the receiver in "All Speaker Stereo" mode......... not Dolby Digital.
    Dolby Digital will throw most if not all your audio from a stereo CD to the center.
    Now there is the other world of DVD-A and SACD. You'll need to learn that will use Dolby Digital. But that's another subject.
    Last edited by Clive; 05 December 2005, 15:03 Monday.
    CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Steve_the_Hokie
      • Aug 2005

703 center matching

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I also have a pair of 703's up front. I had been using a Polk center channel speaker, and wanted a better match for my 703's. I went to my dealer and picked up an HTM7 center, but it was immediately apparent during setup that the tonal quality of the HTM7 wasn't anywhere close to my 703's. In fact, the system sounded much better matched with my old Polk speaker. The problem seemed to be in the midrange. The FST midrange in the 703's is so much clearer than the HTM7. The HTM7 sounds restrained and nasal. I went back to the dealer and traded the HTM7 in for an HTM1 and wow! What a difference! Now everything sounds balanced across the front. This center is huge, but if you have the room for it and the funds I definitely recommend it. When I got mine a few months back, B&W had stopped production, but my dealer was able to get me a factory refurbished one. You might also check around for a used one.

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

Peter,
        Your problem is likely because I doubt you have your system calibrated with an SPL meter. Using one you should be able to balance the fronts and center so they are not louder than each other.

Comment

• jaakan
          • Dec 2002

System calibration is a must with every change. If you have a good ear you can set the levels correctly without a SPL meter. if your 703 are in a not so big room you could be wasting your money buying a center channel. If your Rev has a "no center" option try it. Either you would be able to tell your center is off ( small room ) or it will sound like there is space between your speakers.

The matching center for the 7s is the HTM7.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by jaakan
            System calibration is a must with every change. If you have a good ear you can set the levels correctly without a SPL meter.
            That's a bit of a dangerous statement IMO. People who think they have " a good ear" are probably the furthest off! :lol: Use an SPL meter and you'll know it's right
            Jason

Comment

• Snap
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2005

:agree: I have seen some people do some crazythings. My adopted brother Danny can tell what HZ feedback is on with in 10hz! But he still uses an SPL meter, and SMAART live to EQ rooms in his Pro Audio Business.
              The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"