X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

New Beasts Its a Jungle out there !! LexMC12B +Krell FPB400CX

Well Guys Here it is. I've got everything tuned perfectly and up and running. The Lexicon is "more" than I had hoped it would be.

I will be experimenting with all the different possibilities for some time to come. Right now I'm using Proprietary L7 lexicon decoding for Sat TV and going with straight DD and DTS for DVD's.

The combo of 802D's and Lex is outstanding and sounds are clear more defined and MUCH more separation than I have ever heard before. !!

Here's some Pic's

Attached Files
    Last edited by misterdoggy; 03 February 2006, 15:57 Friday.
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

how difficult is the setup of that lexicon with 4 mic's for calibration?
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• misterdoggy
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
      how difficult is the setup of that lexicon with 4 mic's for calibration?

Sikoniko

I have the Version 5 not the Version 5EQ. So it has 2 mic's for Distances and Levels. The operation is automatic and simple. I hope it is correct. It whistles and hoops and flutters.

The Mic set is very very sensitive and it runs its own check first for room silence and that the mic's are working. Then sets levels and distances.

It seemed short to me, but then if the mic's are very sensitive its probably all it needed.

The Lexicon does so much, and so easily I would recommend it in a heartbeat to anyone.

The 2 channel converter from digital to analogue was not as good as my external Goldmund DAC and the difference was enormous so I run the CD in bypass.

DTS and DD are incredible and its proprietary L7 decoding is great for TV and they say its better than DTS or Dolby but this remains to be seen or should I say heard.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

WOW!
        Do I see the glass actually bending with all that gear on there!!??!!! :lol:
        B&W

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Some beautiful beasts you've got there, Misterdoggy ... that is ... speakers + amps :T

Comment

• Jeff
            • Dec 2004

AHHHHHHH!! MisterDoggy, you are my hero! I've been dreaming abount a Lexicon MC-8B, much like your MC-12B.

Ok, your former HT processor was Parasound. How much better is the Lexicon than the Parasound?

I'm surprised the Lexicon DAC's weren't a match for your Goldmunds. I heard the Lex was pretty good. What model is your Goldmund?

Your system has gone from a BMW 5 Series to a Ferrari! WOW!

Jeff

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

That's a beautiful array of equipment you have MisterDoggy.

Congratulations,

Azeke

Comment

• JKalman
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                Well Guys Here it is. I've got everything tuned perfectly and up and running. The Lexicon is "more" than I had hoped it would be.

I will be experimenting with all the different possibilities for some time to come. Right now I'm using Proprietary L7 lexicon decoding for Sat TV and going with straight DD and DTS for DVD's.

The combo of 802D's and Lex is outstanding and sounds are clear more defined and MUCH more separation than I have ever heard before. !!

Here's some Pic's
                You call me paranoid, but I wouldn't leave that amplifier underneath the MC-12 unless you put in some kind of ventilation fan, I'd be worried about frying that Lexicon Preamp/Processor and/or causing slow damage over time by raising its temperature too much too often for sustained periods of time. :E Is that other Krell an amp as well? Even if an amp seems to stay cool most of the time, you should never put other components directly on top of it because of the damage heat can cause computer/audio components.

I've done a lot of work with overclocking my custom built computers and it is not a pretty sight when something you treasure gets fried. :cry: It might even be something as simple as a surge in your house caused by a problem somewhere else in your neighborhood while you step away from your equipment for a few minutes.

At least the MC-12 can't fry the center channel, that runs extremely hot as well.

Comment

• JKalman
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Jeff
                  AHHHHHHH!! MisterDoggy, you are my hero! I've been dreaming abount a Lexicon MC-8B, much like your MC-12B.

Ok, your former HT processor was Parasound. How much better is the Lexicon than the Parasound?

I'm surprised the Lexicon DAC's weren't a match for your Goldmunds. I heard the Lex was pretty good. What model is your Goldmund?

Jeff
                  Pretty good? The MC-12 is supposed to be one of the best chips out there because of Logic 7. ;x(

Comment

• JKalman
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Jeff

Jeff
                    Preamp/Processors aren't usually specialized for decoding CD, SACD, DVD-A, etc, they are specialized for manipulating movie soundtracks, which is why the good ones have bypass modes for high end source equipment.

I got to demo the RV-8 for a few weeks at home, which was a nice piece of gear, but I ended up getting the Bryston SP1.7 since the music quality of my system was more important to me and the Bryston preamp/processor has a better bypass mode. If I buy another preamp/processor down the road and get rid of my Bryston SP1.7, the Lexicon MC-12 is the piece of equipment I would get for sure just for the award winning Logic 7.

Once I get the Ayre K-1xe and V-1xe, I will start considering the possibility of purchasing a Lexicon MC-12 since I can use the pass thru on the K-1xe for playing the Lexicon MC-12 during movies and then use the K-1xe when using my source equipment, which is the Ayre C-5xe that should arrive any day now (I'm getting so impatient to integrate it into my system :M).
                    Last edited by JKalman; 04 February 2006, 02:57 Saturday.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Well to Answer All the questions:

Shelf strength: No the Glass is not bending, thats Lens distortion. No problema the Apollo Rack is really solid and could even support a second FPB 400 CX (not even thinkin about it)

Overheating: The space above the Krell is pretty high and it is also open on the sides front and back so it has a lot of Air flow.

DAC: I'm using a miniature converter by Goldmund called the "digin 96". It uses the same converter as their top model Nemisis, but no bells or whistles, just a black box with one digital input and 2 analogue ouputs, your basic black box.

It retails for 1800 Euros, but since they are based in Geneva 20 minutes from me I was able to pick up a new one for 1100 euros. It beats the DAC in the Lexicon with a stick. I HIGHLY recommend this as an addition to anyones HIFI.

Combo Ayre D1XE + Golmund DAC: With the Ayre already doing the work without conversion, Kalman is definitely right when he says that processors are made for DVD DD DTS etc and thats why they even offer a "bypass" mode.

Comparison with Halo Parasound: There is none. More separation in DD, DTS, and they have their own proprietary decoding system called L7.

Star Wars the friggin fighters are moving left and right in the front from the left to right of the screen like I've never heard before inthe same scene.

One plus for Halo: I felt 'Stereo' DAC of the Halo was slightly better than the Lexicon and closer to the Goldmund, but really either was like wearing earmuffs in comparison to bypass>Goldmund.

Ease of Setup: It was 1,2 3.... for those who know HT already, nothing different, excepting many more choices which will take time to explore and see which one is the best.

Sets of speakers settings (subwoofer incl) for each mode, for each source, you can personalize so much.

LED: Finally something I can read from 5 meters, big clear lettering with mode, source, hz, and simple and beautiful. :T

Its Love ;x( ;x(

Comment

• RebelMan
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Damn doggy, I think you have just reached the HiFi zenith! Good form, great pics.
                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• misterdoggy
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Thought you'd get a kick out of this !

I fine tuned the Universal Remote MX950 with "logos" for everything that I created in photoshop and downloaded into the Remote. One button on any logo sets up every source, mode, speaker sets. Wife proof everything !

Attached Files

Comment

• JKalman
                            • Nov 2005

How do you like the MX950? Would you recommend it over other remotes? Are there other remotes you feel work better, etc? What would you recommend I look at for my system?

Comment

• jericho
                              • Dec 2004

Jeff,

Take a look at the site of Nevo.I use a Nevo with my McIntosh and all other applications.Cost about 800 Euro depending on what you want!!

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                Super Senior Member
                                • May 2005

Originally posted by JKalman
                                How do you like the MX950? Would you recommend it over other remotes? Are there other remotes you feel work better, etc? What would you recommend I look at for my system?
                                I like the Universal Remote company and have used them for quite some time. The Nevo looks interesting but don't know it.

What I like about the Universal is it "becomes" each remote for each unit with the "hard" buttons. That means to say that not only do you have the LCD but the hard buttons become useful.

When you switch to a dvd player or cd player the hard buttons stop, pause, play etc are always inthe same place and work for each unit.

You create the remote on your pc and download the info. Its not hard and gives you lots of choices even custom logos if you want.

I HIGHLY recommend them and it makes everything so easy.

I have 2 amps when I switch to CD I just use the FPB400CX so the trigger shuts off the second amp shuts off the TV turns on the Cd plays thru bypass etc. A gazillion commnads for each source if you like.

You can pick one up for around $400 although the list is higher.

All their models are great and you can go to remotecentral.com and read reviews on everything.

This is off topic, but we all have something driving our B&W's and this helps select speaker groups etc.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI doggy,
                                  I'm new to the pile of remotes problem. With my new bedroom HT I have, at last count, 7 remotes. So, I'm looking for a solution.

What about the Pronto series? It seems to have a huge advantage in that the LCD allows each programmed function to be custom identified with text. On the univeral remotes this is not possible, is it? Doesn't this lack mean one would have to memorize the button functions by their goegraphical location? Since you all have much more experience with these issues, I must be missing something. Could you tell me why you would prefer one approach over the other. I'm sure money is NOT the issue.

Sparky

Comment

• Hoffi
                                    • Nov 2005

Great new setup Misterdoggy!

Wow!!

(Wrote you a pm with some questions)

Hoffi
                                    :sn

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Karma
                                      HI doggy,
                                      I'm new to the pile of remotes problem. With my new bedroom HT I have, at last count, 7 remotes. So, I'm looking for a solution.

What about the Pronto series? It seems to have a huge advantage in that the LCD allows each programmed function to be custom identified with text. On the univeral remotes this is not possible, is it? Doesn't this lack mean one would have to memorize the button functions by their goegraphical location? Since you all have much more experience with these issues, I must be missing something. Could you tell me why you would prefer one approach over the other. I'm sure money is NOT the issue.

Sparky
                                      Karma,

Go to http://www.remotecentral.com/ and you can read reviews really well done on all the remotes you can think of. Check out the mx950 but there are other models to consider as well. They review ALL the makers of remotes and in depth articles.

not only is the text customizable, but I have inserted my own logos from the different equipment and satellite people on buttons. EVERYTHING is customizable.

I think all the remotes of top quality offer customizing. I chose the Universal because of the "hard" buttons. I wanted one that looks like a cross between my satellite TV and DVD player which this is.

IMHO Universal is the best out there (for me)

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI doggy,
                                        I'm familiar with Remote Central. Good site. I recently bought a Yamaha RAV 2000 off ebay which is the equivalent of the Pronto 2000 but with better software so thay say on Remote Central. I've been so busy installing speakers and getting the system tuned up that I have not had a chance to play with the Yamaha yet.

But my question remains. Why choose the hard button type over the fully progammable types?

Thanks, Sparky

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • May 2005

Sparky

The Hard buttons are the "punch thru" idea. Ones that are in the same place for everyone and everything.

Channel up and down, volume up and down, menu, info,
                                          numbers, forward, back, on, off, etc.

So rather than a new lcd with all the obvoius buttons, your brain just puts the fingers on the same buttons for each item.

Remember its fully programmable as well. Its just that all everything has an "info" button for instance and its always inthe same place if you get my meaning.

Then the ones that really are different come up on the LCD screen with names and logos

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

Hehe, the glass bending comment was sarcasim..

Gotta be some heavy equipment!!! But i bet it took alot of weight out of your pocketbook.
                                            B&W

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • May 2005

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                              Hehe, the glass bending comment was sarcasim..

Gotta be some heavy equipment!!! But i bet it took alot of weight out of your pocketbook.
                                              I'm skipping dinner for a year !!

Comment

• JKalman
                                                • Nov 2005

I've got a full house Niles (Gloria) system and my own personal office system (with the really nice gear). Do you think something like that MX950 would work both at the same time, or would I have to start spending more cash to tap into the control pads in the Niles system?

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • May 2005

I'm not familiar with Niles system and just use the mx950 for hifi stereo but I do know it does other things ie: lights etc

Comment

• JKalman
                                                    • Nov 2005

Cool, I bet it can do the Niles then. I'll have to look on their website, this could be my whole house solution.

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"