X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rmlmd
    • Jan 2006

600 series break-in question

Hi Everone.

This is my first post as I just got my new system set up on Friday--602 mains, 600 center, 601 rears, 650 SW and the Rotel 1056 receiver and 1072 CD player. I've been listening and smiling pretty much non-stop all weekend! The guys who set up the system did an inital calibration and recommended that I have them come back to recalibrate the system after the speakers break in for 2-3 weeks. When I asked about where they had set the crossover for the sub they recommended not doing that until after the speakers break in. I checked the on-screen menus and the default setting for the sub crossover is at 100. Should I go ahead and set the crossover to 80 or 60 while I break them in? My concern is that if I keep the crossover at the relatively high setting of 100 my bookshelves won't be driven enough on the low end to break in. I'm totally new at this and I realize that my logic might be totally faulty. Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot,
    Roberta
  • r100gs
    • May 2005

It's your system! I say read them manuals and get to fiddling. You will be expert by the time they come back. Don't worry about break in, it will happen with time. Enjoy your new system!
    Jay

Comment

• george_k
      • Jan 2004

Setting the crossover to 60 (or 80) won't make any difference if you do it now or later.

Comment

• perato
        • Jan 2005

Waiting until speaker break-in to set the subwoofer crossover is not necessary. Most posters in this forum believe in break-in. You can run a search for break-in and read for yourself. Personally, I do not believe in speaker break-in as it is generally defined on this forum and most others. If you had to pay for that calibration, that company probably just wanted to come back again so they can charge you more money. You can set the crossover at whatever point you want given the limitations of your subwoofer, receiver/processor, or equalizer. Just see what sounds best to you. Using a sound level meter will help in setting the crossover. You can use cheap sound level meters such as those available from Radioshack for about US$35 to US$50. You can find information about subwoofer and speaker setup and calibration at the system set up page at Audioholics.
        In the end, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.

Comment

• rmlmd
          • Jan 2006

Thanks. I bought an SPL meter yesterday. Will search the various forums to figure out how to use it...

Roberta

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"