X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MCFuryNZ
    • Aug 2007

no crossover on my HK3380

I'm planning on building some Eminence 10CX/ 2002 compression coaxial speakers to run off my HK3380, but most people say to highpass the speaker at ~70hz. Since my HK doesn't have a crossover or small setting or whatnot, is it possible to put a simple passive highpass Xover right before the speakers? Will this interfere with sound quality and such?

Thanks
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MCFuryNZ
    I'm planning on building some Eminence 10CX/ 2002 compression coaxial speakers to run off my HK3380, but most people say to highpass the speaker at ~70hz. Since my HK doesn't have a crossover or small setting or whatnot, is it possible to put a simple passive highpass Xover right before the speakers? Will this interfere with sound quality and such?

Thanks

It depends on how you're managing the transition to your sub- usually that would be in an HT setup- or so the advice you're getting presumes. Since you just have a stereo receiver, you got some thinking to do about how best to go about this- does it have pre out/main in connections, as many have? This would allow you to insert an electronics crossover, like the Behringer CX2310, route the HP output to the main in to drive your new speaker, and the Low pass output to the sub amp. Theses are less than $100 at Parts Express.

The problem with doing a passive crossover at 70-80 Hz is that the speaker impedance probably has it's big LF hump there, and it's difficult to make an accurate crossover into that impedance unless you connect an LCR zobel in parallel to flatten the impedance. That zobel, due to the frequency, requires a large cap and large value inductor.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• MCFuryNZ
      • Aug 2007

Thanks for the reply.

Here's another possible solution:
      Split the PreOut on my receiver, sending full range to my subwoofer via RCA, then putting an Fmod RCA crossover on the other side going into the Main In on the receiver. Possible while keeping quality?

Thanks again

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

The crossover frequency of the F-Mods is dependent on the input impedance of the amp being used....

In addition they're limited to 12dB/octave...

The Behringer crossover is a very good deal .....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• MCFuryNZ
          • Aug 2007

I do realize it's the all in one solution for a decent price, but at $100, i cant help to think thats only another $100 away from a Panny XR55 receiver, but I can't help to think that's going to open another can of worms around here.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"