X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chicagohonda
    • Jan 2007

Advice needed on setting speaker crossover freqs

Hello -

I am a newbie to the audiophile and wonder if someone could field a couple of questions...

1. Where should set the cross-over frequencies for my front speakers (B&W DM603 S3) and subwoofer (ASW600)? Also, for the subwoofer, there is a setting on both the receiver and the speaker itself - should I set both the same?

2. Does anyone have input if upgrading my rear speakers to matching DM601S3 or DM602S3's once I am in a place that allows for more room?

3. Would I see noticed improvment in bass (mainly for movies) in upgrading to a more powerful Subwoofer - say an ASW675?

My current setup (at least until I get the upgrade bug) --
    Rotel RSX-1057 Receiver (Drives, center channel, rear, and outside speakers)
    Rotel RB-1070 Amplifier (Drives front speakers)
    Rotel RDV-1060 DVD/CD Player
    Front Speakers - B&W DM603 S3
    Center Channel - LCR 600
    Rear Speakers - B&W M1 Mini Theatre
    Subwoofer - B&W AS2 (Told that is is similar to ASW600)

Thanks in advance!
    Ryan
  • Isaac
    • Jan 2006

1.For movie oriented system I always set the all speakers to the small setting and crossover settings to 80hz. For the subwoofer, if available on the speaker itself, set it to bypass. If NO bypass switch on the subwoofer, turn crossover on the actual subwoofer all the way up so it is getting all the sound from the receiver.

2. Try to match the Crossover point of the front speakers if you can.

3. The lower the frequency responce (specs) the better for hometheater. If the room is big more power helps.
    Last edited by Isaac; 07 February 2008, 05:32 Thursday.

Comment

• misterdoggy
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

80hz is whats recommended for HT.

Get a dpl meter and verify all your speakers are putting out 75dp from your listening position running a test signal.

You will always see improvements as you upgrade and from 600 you can go 700 and 800 and so on and will always see improvements

Actually, improvement is most noticeable going from group to group up in B&W. More so than Amps of the same brand moving up the ladder.

Comment

• rick c
        • Aug 2004

fwiw, i have the rsx1056 and used to have the 603s3's w/lcr600.I had the 603's crossed at 60.Just thought it was a little better than 80.But you can play with 60 or 80 and see which you like better.Now i didnt have an outboard amp like you i used only the reciever dont think if it would make a difference.

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Chicagohonda
          1. Where should set the cross-over frequencies for my front speakers (B&W DM603 S3) and subwoofer (ASW600)? Also, for the subwoofer, there is a setting on both the receiver and the speaker itself - should I set both the same?
          As Issac said, turn the crossover on the sub all the way up. That way you will as little interaction between the two crossovers (called shelving). rickc is right and you should try the crossover for the front left and right speakers at both 60Hz and 80Hz and see what you like the best. The DM603S3's can play bass quite well at high output so you may like it at the lower setting. Also if it's lower in the receiver, you stand less chance of crossover shelving being an issue.

2. Does anyone have input if upgrading my rear speakers to matching DM601S3 or DM602S3's once I am in a place that allows for more room?
          Both the DM601S3 and the DM602S3 would be an upgrade from the M1. They are more dynamic and are a better voice match for the DM603S3 and LCR600S3. If you want to purchase new, you'd better not wait much longer. B&W is out of most (if not all) 600 Series 3 speakers so it's up to what you can find at dealers now.

3. Would I see noticed improvment in bass (mainly for movies) in upgrading to a more powerful Subwoofer - say an ASW675?
          Yes. The AS2 is basically the ASW600 in a different looking enclosure and the ASW675 is a better woofer. It has more output if you need it and it's much better at deep bass attack. The ASW675 also has a defeatable crossover in the woofer so you don't have to worry about shelving with it. The new ASW608, ASW610, and ASW610XP all have defeatable crossovers and well.

I hope this helps.

Eric

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"