X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmalke
    • Jan 2006

Just purchased my first home theater

First let me say thank you for this forum. I have really learned a lot reading everyones posts.
    It has all been ordered with a projected install date of the Friday before the Superbowl.
    My wife gave me a budget of $15,000 for everything...tax, install, etc.
    What do you think?

Rotel RSX-1056 A/V Receiver
    Rotel RDV-1040 DVD Player
    Mitsubishi HC3000 DLP Projector
    Stewart 82" Firehawk Filmscreen
    B&W FPM-6 for the right, center, and left speaker
    B&W FPM-4 for the left and right rear speakers
    Two B&W ASW675 Subwoofers
    BDI Vector 9522 Stand
    Monster power Center
    I really loved the Rotel RMB-1075 & Rotel-1068 combo with the B&W 804 series, just could not make it work in the budget. I guess this gives me something to build to.

Any feedback, critique would be greatly appreciated...I have a couple days to tweak it and still make the superbowl and 30 days after install to make any changes.

Tyler
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

instead of the monster power center, get the 8 plug brick wall...
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• tmalke
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
      instead of the monster power center, get the 8 plug brick wall...

OK, never heard of it...any info about it, where to buy, cost, benefits, etc?

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Tyler, the RSX-1056 is an excellent compromise between the RSP-1068 and RMB-1075. It is a very capable unit and will sound very similar. I am curious though why you are chosing the FPM's over the 600 series? Do you have space restrictions and/or WAF to consider? Your selection is fine but the 600's are great little performers for someone needing to stretch their budget. Are you building a strictly HT environment or does music enter the picture somewhere too?

BTW, I am in the PJ market also and the Mitsubishi HC3000U has got my attention. I was looking at the specifications sheet just last night! Have you seen this puppy in action? What do you think? I am very interested in your opinion. You can PM me if you like.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• azsyno
          • Oct 2005

Dizzam - can't wait to see pics of this set-up... nice going. Btw, I like the "wife gave me a budget" part. Mine gave me a budget too - I ignored it and I'll pay the price for that forever. :-)

Comment

• tmalke
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
            Tyler, the RSX-1056 is an excellent compromise between the RSP-1068 and RMB-1075. It is a very capable unit and will sound very similar. I am curious though why you are chosing the FPM's over the 600 series? Do you have space restrictions and/or WAF to consider? Your selection is fine but the 600's are great little performers for someone needing to stretch their budget. Are you building a strictly HT environment or does music enter the picture somewhere too?

BTW, I am in the PJ market also and the Mitsubishi HC3000U has got my attention. Have you seen this puppy in action? What do you think? I am very interested in your opinion. You can PM me if you like.
            Rebelman, I have seen the Mitsubishi and it looks great...to me anyway. Especially on that Firehawk screen. It is also a good fit for my room size and seating distance.
            To answer your FPM vs 600 question is a little complicated. But first I do not know what "WAF" means. The decision was made b/c of a few different factors mostly involving children, dog, and wife. I did like the 600 series a lot.

This room will be 100% movies and football. No music at all.

Tyler

Comment

• tmalke
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by azsyno
              Dizzam - can't wait to see pics of this set-up... nice going. Btw, I like the "wife gave me a budget" part. Mine gave me a budget too - I ignored it and I'll pay the price for that forever. :-)
              LOL...good luck with that. My initial budget was $10,000....had to do a lot of selling to get the increase and it is still a tender subject. The final actually came in at $15,485.27.Once it is set up though I am sure (hope) she forgets about the price.

I will definately post a few pics once installed.

Tyler

Comment

• Mark_C.
                • Jan 2003

WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor

....something most of us marrieds are familiar with.

Comment

• tmalke
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Mark_C.
                  WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor

....something most of us marrieds are familiar with.
                  I see this is a common issue...then yes "WAF" definatly played into the deal.

Comment

• azsyno
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by tmalke
                    I see this is a common issue...then yes "WAF" definatly played into the deal.
                    How can it not be... I'd never let her buy something as expensive. :B

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

better price, better technology!
                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• worldys
                        • Dec 2005

tyler

i also think the fpm is not your best choice from a sound/cost perspective, you will get more bang for you buck with the 600 s3 series, but a good option if the logistics of family life dictate wall speakers, i have only used scm1s as rears (and been quite happy), i wonder how they would compare to the fpm for fronts and center

s

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"