X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • motrctyman
    • Oct 2004

Just finished my HT...2 hrs before Superbowl

I've been a long time lurker and sponge of information on this site, thanks for all of the vicarious support throughout the project.

I finally finished my media room and wanted to share a bit.

The rough room dimensions are 23' deep, 17.5' wide and 11' ceilings. There is a 7" riser 9' off the rear wall and 6-16" wide 6" deep columns spaced around the room. I wired the room prior to sheet rock and also installed numerous 2.5" conduit tubes to facilitate future wiring (really glad I did that!)

It is a FP using an Optoma H79 with a 123" screen fed with an HDMI cable. A/V is distributed through a JVC RXD402B (HDMI Switching) and fed by a JVC XVN520B DVD, and an HD DirecTV Tivo unit. I also have a Samsung HDMI DVD player but not happy with the artifacting right now...

The speakers are PE Dayton 6.5" Inwalls (still waiting on the MTM center channel to arrive) and the sub is a 12" Titanic MKII in a 3.6 cu/ft sealed sonotube w/250W Plate Amp. The sub is behind the screen (which is surrounded by speaker cloth). The speakers are also in enclosures and damped with Dynomat products.

The room has sprayed expandable foam on all six sides and has a false wall in front with a 3' walk way. This is to do a design treatment with the screen and also to house the subwoofer and the bass traps it inherently requires.

I am still not completely finished (still have to install sound treatments) but am fairly happy with the results. Furniture should be in in a week and curtains the next. I'm pretty geeked about getting it completed.

Anyhoo, I thought I would share my progress and thanks again for all the silent help I got from you all.

HT Pics
    "They are critics because they have no talent to play music" Robert Plant
  • chriscross
    • Jan 2006

Very nice pics...nice job!!! I like the color of the paint on the columns. Curious what the exact paint / color is. Are you using a perforated screen...you mentioned that your sub is behind it?

Comment

• motrctyman
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by chriscross
      Very nice pics...nice job!!! I like the color of the paint on the columns. Curious what the exact paint / color is. Are you using a perforated screen...you mentioned that your sub is behind it?
      Thank you. The paint on the columns is satin black. Word of caution, it is a complete B1TCH to paint a smooth/even coat. The first coat was sprayed and then it required touchups...I see them the minute I walk in the door.

A lot of people feel that the color of a media room impacts the picture quality, and I'm sure there is a lot of merit to that statement. There are also two different types of media rooms; the hardcore performance media room and the hang out with the family media room. Mine being the latter, I wanted to make it a cool place to hang out. I do think that the added dark surround makes a difference in picture quality. Just added the furniture today (came a week early, woohoo!). It is a dark red wine color and makes for a neat look and darkens it up some more.

The screen is a solid screen. I've used soundscreens before and am not overly fond of them. Far enough away they look great but those that are sitting within 12' or so will see the fabric pattern or holes.

The hole for the screen can accomodate up to a 153" screen. I did not intend to use that big a screen due to the viewing distance so I installed the 123" screen. The areas not covered by the screen I used black speaker grill cloth to cover. The subwoofer is sitting behind it and doesn't have problems playing through the openings. It does need some serious bass traps though, the 32-35Hz boom is starting to lose it's novelty.
      "They are critics because they have no talent to play music" Robert Plant

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"