X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crx
    • Jun 2006

Newbie - HT and Multi-Zone install in a New House

I've been lurking around for a couple of days - and this forum seems to be right place to get valuable insights and suggestions to my questions.

My brother-in-law is starting to build a new house in the next couple of weeks and he approached me to help him design a home theatre and multi room setup for the new house (I used to work in HT sales more than 6 years ago - and he is not technically inclined). I've also been asked that the install must be clean/hidden - so I will be looking at in-wall and in-ceiling speakers and possibly a seperate room for all the hardware and wiring.

The multi room setup should consist of 6 independent zones (audio and video). The video switching in each zone is not critical as they will only have two Televisions to start off with (The main HT room and the master bedroom) - but I feel that while at it one might just go ahead and pre-wire all the zones - if they decide to add more screens at a later stage. I would also like to add that the multi-zones wil not be "party" areas (i.e. we dont want thumping bass and huge amounts of volume - but more for good quality sound and a fair amount of volume)

The Russound CAV6.6 seems to be the solution for this type of install. I've also looked at the OPUS system (which is cheaper but seems very restricted when I compare it to the CAV6.6).

Please excuse my ignorance for the next question - but being out of the loop with regards to the AV industry in the last 6 years has left me in the dark ages and possibly overly excited to what is actually available these days.

Is anyone perhaps aware of a A/V receiver that can be used for a 5.1 surround system in 1 zone and be utilized as a multi-zone controller for 4 or more rooms (with independent video switching in the other zones)?

If such a system exits it would be godsend - but I think I might be hoping for a bit much.

Speaker wise I have had a look at the following (bear in mind I have not had the chance to go and look or listen to them) - but they seem to be more or less what I would be looking for.

Multi-Room Speakers:
    Boston DSi465 in-ceiling

HT Speakers:
    Mains - Boston VRi595 in-wall
    Center - Boston VRi595 in-ceiling
    Surrounds - Boston VRi585T2 in-ceiling
    Sub - Boston VRiSub82 in-wall or Sub10F in-floor (still undecided on the subs - but these two are hidden which is a neccesity)

I haven't started looking at AV receivers yet - but I will probably have a look at the Yamaha's, Onkyo's etc. (this also depends on the reponse from my slightly optimistic question above). Any thoughts on receivers will be much apreciated.

Finally - am I on the right track here? or am I already off-course. This is will not be a cheap install and the last thing I want to do is spend my brother-in-laws money on a system that does not deliver the goods.

I hope to get my hands on the floor plans soon so I can share more detailed info with you.

Thanks in advance - and thank your for a good forum.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I'm pretty sure the new Rotel receivers coing out at the end of this year or early next year will be 4 zone unit with composite outputs for each zone. Take a look at the 1052 stereo receiver they have now for what it will be like.

As for regular multi-zone systems, we've had the best luck with Niles.

Kevin D.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

If you're using in-walls, confirm they have back boxes, most of the major companies make decent in-walls. Besides the one's you're looking at I've heard good things about PSB's models and Triad's are always recommended when the subject of in-walss comes up
      Jason

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Oh and welcome to HTG :T
        Jason

Comment

• crx
          • Jun 2006

Thank you for the suggestions - I will be downloading some catalogues of the items mentioned above. Hopefully my brother-in-law and myself can schedule some demo's and meetings with suppliers over the coming weekend (hectic work schedules are a pain - if only I was a septillionaire - thats 10 with 24 zeros added I think - I could shop, install and fish for the rest of my life - o well I suppose it's good to dream)

Thanks for the warm welcome

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Hiya, crx, and I'll say another welcome! :banana: I did something very similar to what you're talking about, when I built my current home and theater. It would very much help if you could describe what LEVEL of performance that you're shooting for. For instance, the objective I set for my house was that I wanted a solid performing, but low cost, no-frill all-home audio distribution system. For my theater, I wanted a high-end, virtually all-out dedicated room that I could install myself to save big $$$.

That's exactly what I built. My home audio is very basic with a central source distributed to 5 zones with volume controls to stereo in-wall/ceiling speakers. To one zone, (master bedroom) I added switching capability for a 5.1, very clean, hidden system with a plasma TV. VERY classy. My theater... well... just ask the guys around here what I did for that.

So for both the all-home system, and the theater, what goal are you setting? All-out no-costs barred? Bare bones cheap, but flashy? Somewhere inbetween like I did?
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• crx
              • Jun 2006

Hi Chris

Thanks for the welcome and the reply.

Multi Zone Goal - Good stereo performance in each one of the zones. Video switching for 2 sources (in the start video switching between 2 zones) and independent control from each one of the zones. If possible - I would like the multi zone to be as cheap as possible without sacrificing to much quality (so cost wise I would say it's "inbetween")

HT Goal - Solid performance - the room in question is not very big so a 5.1 system should suffice (We will be looking at 7.1 receivers so there will always be the option to add more speakers at a later stage). For the HT is would shoot for the upper "inbetween" price range but not extreme.

The most important factor to consider is that the whole install needs to be squeeky clean.

I will have a look at your posts and see what you did - as it sounds more or less similar to the type of install I'm after.

Once again thanks for the reply.

Comment

• Snap
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2005

Russound is an awesome company for distributed audio! That is what I am putting in my house.

The long and short is you can do it the cheap way which a LOT of people do.

Multi Zone Surround Sound Reciever.
                External Amp if you are going to run 7.1 in the theater. No amp if you are going to run 5.1.

Pull 16/4 to the volume control in the other room from the av rack.
                Pull 16/2 to each of the speakers in the ceiling or walls to the volume control.
                Install Rough in Kits where you want the speakers to GO! :yesnod:

and wham..... 1 room of distributed audio hooked up. RXV-659 great unit for surround sound and distributed audio on a budget. RXV-1600 if you have the cash!

If you go with the Rusound....

CAT5e from the AV rack to the touch pad location. 16/2 from the AV rack to each speaker.

Do not forget the rough in kits! Buy fire stop...as the contractor will need you to fill in the holes you drill with fire stop before they move to the next phase of contstruction.

Russound will give you more flexability. Their media server is the heat! 3 streams of audio can be played at one time!

Good luck!
                The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"