X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beaverlake
    • Dec 2008

B&W 803s and new amp: Classe or Mac

(also posted in Audio Hideout)

I know, I know - B&W/Classe is a "classic" pairing from the same audio group. But in spite of a comfortable budget I have to keep my costs in mind.

I'm replacing 3 x Musical Fidelity XP-200s (LCR, 200w each bridged) and a Rotel 1562 (100wpc). I have 2 x B&W 803s, an HTM2 center and a pair of B&W in-ceiling rears rounded out with a Paradigm sub. The front end is a Meridian G61R/HD621. The room is about 17 x 18, carpeted, draped, and has a couple offset angles along with a large micro-fiber covered u-shaped sectional.

Maybe it's old age, but I'm finding that when pushed a bit in our new TV room (SIM2 Mico50 and Carada 114" screen) the 803s have a bit of an edge. The room is great and it loads the bass really well while remaining tight and controlled. Voices are good, midrange is good - it's the "edge" that seems to have crept in that I'm trying to get a handle on.

I can't afford a full gear swap out and I've tried some interconnect and cable cable swaps with no luck. I thought about a Meridian swap to DSP-5200s but that would still set me back about $12K after selling out the amps and B&Ws. So it's a Classe CT-5300 or a Mac 205 (again, a bit of apples to oranges from a power perspective).

Thoughts?
    (Note I have some dealer loyalty here, so it's Classe, Mac, or NAD and Audio Research is out of my league).

gordon
    gordon
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Please don't cross post!
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I would recommend that you find a dealer who has both and listen to them.
      Classe or Mac... they both have a different sound. So you can't really say one is better than the other (regardless of power). I prefer Mac, but I know some prefer Classe.
      If the same dealer doesn't have both, but you are able to find both in two different stores, you could ask if you could put a deposit for the item, and test it out at home. Then you can hear what both would sound like in your own home.
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• beaverlake
        • Dec 2008

Mea Culpa

Originally posted by mjb
        My bad - I wasn't sure about the best heading. Won't happen again.

gordon
        gordon

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

That is OK, Gordon.

We are V glad to have you here.

We are just trying to make sure questions & information get to where they are most easily found by everyone.

Now back the regularly scheduled program.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"