X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Freek
    • Mar 2008

advise high res. 2-ch dac to use with classe-b&w setup

i am looking for a 2-ch dac for very good stereo performance.
    at the moment i use my spp-300 dac (spdif-coax) for my digital audio.
    don't want to spend money on an expensive cd player anymore.
    don't need it for multi channel (keep using my ssp-300 for HT)

the budget is limited (about 2.500 euro) and the ssp-800 is out of reach (9000 euro's here in the netherlands = $ 11500 us) :-(

done some research on forums and my shortlist now is:
    Ayre QB-9 (only usb, so limited to computer playback like mac mini)
    Weiss Dac2 (works best through firewire i heard, so it will be computer playback)
    Naim dac (only spdif, is not the best protocol for digital audio)
    PSAudio perfectwave dac (network bridge not yet available)

1. does anyone have experience with a very good dac capable of high res audio and a good match for my classe ca5100 - b&w805s - rel strato 5 sub setup?

2. are there more of you using a computer as a source for audio,
    and how do you use it from your listening position (remote control)?

3. any advise welcome for the dac and will it outperform the dac in my ssp-300?

i know to demo is the best way to decide, but it is not easy to find these products in the netherlands, and specially not finding more then one of the above brands at the same dealer to compare.
    i had the slimdevices transporter home once for a demo. didn't like it much over my squeezebox 3 - ssp300 combination. gave me a feeling that the instruments were moving around.

thanks in advance
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

Hoi Freek,

I have listen the Naim XS5: is very good: upgrade avialbe i the time with the Naim dac or power supply from Naim...

I have all my player in bluray gears: Pioneer lx91 and Denon 3800.
    I see a lot of concert and movies.
    to listen music I dont will too invest much money fo listen in pure 2 hannel stereo 10 hr. pro month....

I like very much a "normal player" and not invest my money in a products like the Ayre QB-9 or other "computer lossloes system...

for the SSP800 I can sure have a better price a the "standart" €.9000.-

just I have replaced my SSP800 with a new SSP800 (the new SSP hae a remote controlo in black like the CT serei and no more in silver!!!)
    -> discount 25%!!!

groetjes Style

Comment

• Industrial
      • Mar 2009

I love my Benchmark DAC1. I got to A/B it against a Audio Research CDP and it sounded pretty darn close. Tight Bass, clean/clear mids and very nice detailed Highs. I had someone from a local hifi store come over and hear it and called it "Transparent"

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Hi Freek,

The way that the Euro is going this one may be out of your price range but based on my research and the opinions of others in this forum this is the external DAC that I would buy if a golden eagle were to void its bowels on me.

Nigel.

Comment

• Freek
          • Mar 2008

thanks nigel.

what i have read about this dac on the computer audiophile forum, that it is their reference for there testing and reviews.

indeed the price is more then double the budget and i never came across it here in the netherlands. even if the euro is low, the import taxes are still very high!

i wonder how close the ayre qb-9 usb will come to the sound of the berkeley.

Comment

• aarsoe
            • May 2004

Cheapest option around would be the Cambridge Dacmagic S.
            Cheap, but more than ok and then save the rest and purchase the SSP-800 or next version (if it takes a long time)..

The problem with DAC's are that they take big jumps for each new generation of chips. Especially now when they are a part of any processor like the SSP. So not sure I would spend a lot on a stand alone if you know you want to have a new processor one day anyway..

Comment

• Freek
              • Mar 2008

aarsoe,

do you think the cambridge dacmagic will be better performing then my ssp-300 dac?

Comment

• aarsoe
                • May 2004

Honestly - Yes, but cannot tell for sure as I do not own a SSP-300

Comment

• aarsoe
                  • May 2004

By the way - what will be your source for the DAC? If PC/Mac based you could go with a Musicstreamer or Musicstreamer+.
                  You should be able to find it for very decent money locally..

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"