X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ian1975
    • Apr 2009

CAM 400 vs CAM 600

Hi to all,

Will I hear any major difference switching from the CAM-400 to CAM 600 using the 802 d or 800 di? Are the 800 di need more power than the 802 d?

Thanks

Ian
  • Maverick71
    • Nov 2006

Hi,

Below you can find what I posted regarding my experience with the new CA2300 vs the previous x200 series. I think you probably find similar diferences beteween CAM400 vs CAM600. This is what posted:

Hi,

I never heard the CAM350 but have some experience with the CA2200, CA3200 and CA5200 that I currently own on my setup (pics here:http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpo...postcount=3442).

Yesterday I brought home a CA2300 for testing as I am considering trading my CA5200 for a CA2200+CA3200 combo hence living me the possibility to sell just the CA2200 and buy a new CA2300 for the front channels.
    I guess I was curious about the new circuit topology and increased power, but, to be honest, I was expecting to hear small diferences that would lead me to a situation where I felt although I'd be happier with the new CA2300, I would be almost as happy with the CA2200.

I was wrong.

At the first sounds, the music sounded 'cleaner' mainly on voices and with more punch and grunt. Sorry for the choice of words, but this is the best as I can describe what I felt. I believe this new series is definately an improvement over the old ones and, at least on my setup, one that makes sense in every way. I felt a bit concerned about the the fan as my room is treated and dead silent. In total silence you can hear it if you concentrate hard enough, but with music (or probably in a non silent room) you can't.

My CA2200 is on sale now and my day to day worry is how will I live without the CA2300 if the CA2200 doesn't go . Fingers crossed!

Mav
    Last edited by Maverick71; 04 April 2011, 15:56 Monday.

Comment

• ian1975
      • Apr 2009

Thanks for your input Mav.

Ian

Comment

• Oddiophile
        • Jul 2008

Ian,

I went to the CA-M600s from CA-M400s in mid-January 2011. I use 3 of them to drive my B&W 800Ds and my HTM1D centre channel.

I would agree with Maverick's assessment. The improvements turned out to be more than what I expected. These include:

--tighter, punchier bass
        --wider soundstage
        --better imaging--I could pick out individual instruments better
        --bit better pacing and rhythm
        --in general more information and presence
        --sound was reproduced effortlessly
        --it runs really cool, only very slightly warm to the touch

My room is acoustically very well-treated and is very silent. I cannot hear the fan at all except for the few seconds when it starts up.

Also, I am hoping to replace the CA-2200 that is driving the 802Ds that I use for my side speakers. If I can find a home for the CA-2200, I will be purchasing a CA-2300.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Yes the fan at start-up is very loud but then quiet :W
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• caberxx
            • Jan 2010

This result doesn't surprise me, given the 600 has 50% more power.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

CAM-600 are beasts they will deliver so much power that you will destroy your hearing before they break a sweat. I never raise the volume more than 90db and they are effortless driving the 800Diamonds :T

Pass Labs are the same but three time more expensive, and pure Classe A sucks up too much electricity and bakes the room
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Oddiophile
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by caberxx
                This result doesn't surprise me, given the 600 has 50% more power.
                The extra power helps but many of the extra benefits are due to some of the design improvements.

For reviews, I would refer you to the Classe website or the following thread on this forum:

Jim

Comment

• Oddiophile
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by wettou
                  pure Classe A sucks up too much electricity and bakes the room
                  Wettou:

I think you probably meant "class A". However, I'm happy to give you the benefit of the doubt and credit you with a good pun :lol:

Also, the CA-M600s may be beasts but they are beasts with a lot of finesse as well.

Jim

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Oddiophile
                    Wettou: I think you probably meant "class A". However, I'm happy to give you the benefit of the doubt and credit you with a good pun :lol:

Also, the CA-M600s may be beasts but they are beasts with a lot of finesse as well.

Jim
                    Yes thanks for correcting the typo

Agreed, lots of finesse :T

Comment

• caberxx
                      • Jan 2010

The extra power helps but many of the extra benefits are due to some of the design improvements.

Maybe right. I haven't compared a pair of 600's to a pair of 400's. I brought home a pair of 600's (dealer demos that were broken in) to compare them to my 4 400's (bi-amped, 2 CA-M400 per speaker), and didn't listen very long. The 600's were shallow and less transparent than the two pairs of 400's, so I sent them back. In hindsight, I should have compared the 600's to a single pair of 400's so that I'd be comparing similar configurations. I was hoping the 600's would perform as well as the 4 400's, as I was looking to save some real estate in the sound room.

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by caberxx
                        The extra power helps but many of the extra benefits are due to some of the design improvements. Maybe right. I haven't compared a pair of 600's to a pair of 400's. I brought home a pair of 600's (dealer demos that were broken in) to compare them to my 4 400's (bi-amped, 2 CA-M400 per speaker), and didn't listen very long. The 600's were shallow and less transparent than the two pairs of 400's, so I sent them back. In hindsight, I should have compared the 600's to a single pair of 400's so that I'd be comparing similar configurations. I was hoping the 600's would perform as well as the 4 400's, as I was looking to save some real estate in the sound room.
                        "The 600's were shallow and less transparent" interesting comments :roll:

My 600 have a extremely quiet level of background noise which allows them to step out of the way of musical details that I have rarely experienced from electronics.

In addition their enormous dynamic range allows musical climaxes to be reproduced in full measure. Orchestra action movies are outstanding and even with classical solos, the CA-M600 is the finest amplifier I have ever owned

Comment

• spykids777
                          • Dec 2010

Hi,

I have never heard or owned the CAM 400. I just got myself a pair of CAM-600. Initially I had my 803D bi-amp with my CA5300. But after listening to the CAM600 for a few minutes only, I can say that they are outstanding. The clarity of each and every instrument in the recording, the sound stage and the tightness of the base is phenomenal. I am looking forward to hearing them in detail in the next few weeks!! I think my purchase of amplifiers is done for a long time!!

Comment

• ian1975
                            • Apr 2009

Hi Wettou,

So you bought the 800 di and the CAM-600, can you give us your feedback?

Thanks

Ian

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"