X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FALCODEAN
    • May 2009

Tube Preamp for CAM 400 on 800d

Dear Club Classe,
    I hope nobody cringes due to my question but is anybody running a tube preamp into the CAM 400 monoamps? If so why and what is your experience?
    cdp 502
    cp 700
    cam 400
    800d
  • AV-OCD
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by FALCODEAN
    Dear Club Classe,
    I hope nobody cringes due to my question but is anybody running a tube preamp into the CAM 400 monoamps? If so why and what is your experience?
    cdp 502
    cp 700
    cam 400
    800d
    No reason to be bashful about wanting to add some tube glow to your sound system. Personally, I've only heard a few tubed systems. And one, I would gladly take home, if I had the space and the money. That one would be from Audio Research.

What I heard was not the bloomy, rounded sound you hear from some really tubey gear. It was pristinely clean and detailed, but there was a slight euphonic quality. Almost like watching a movie with enhanced color, or like a slightly more polished version of reality.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
      • Mar 2005

I have a tube pre-amp, with tube amps (vs CAM 400) with 800Ds. I would tell you Tim hit the nail with his description. Here is what I have: Audio Research REF5 pre-amp and Lamm M1.2 reference amps. I use an EMM Labs DAC2/Transposrt for the front-end. The sound is very smooth, easy to listen too for hours. Symbols sound real, pianos sound like they are in your room and voices (especially female) sound great with the diamond tweeters.

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

BAT makes some nice tube gear as well.
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
          • May 2008

I would love to add the Mc C500 Preamp into my system one day...
          Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• worldys
            • Dec 2005

i have been using tube pre-amps with solid state amps for years and i think it is a good balance, balanced audio technologies makes a great tube pre-amp, never used them with ca-m400s but i did use them with the omega monos and wilson speakers and the effects was quite nice

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"