• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

3 Classe CAM350 or Krell 300-400cx

please from people who have or have had these amps or know them

I need advice. I have the kavs 2250 and 3250 but have a chance to pick up 3 Classe CAM350's $1700 each. I know BW does all its testing with Classe Amps so their speakers will be more aligned with Classe. This is an older model as well and I wonder if it is as solid as krells which are bulletproof.

The question is whether or not to switch over to Classe sell my Krell's and do the CAM350 for the 802d's in the l and r and center then find another Classe like a 301 for the surrounds

or

just find a used 300 or 400 cx Krell to drive just the L and R and use the 3250 for center and surrounds.

Help !
    • Nov 2005

HI doggy,
    Do not consider changing unless you can audition the equipment under favorable conditions (in your system if possible). I know you know that but you are getting greedy and letting your judgment fail.

Sparky

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

the good thing about the classe is they will hold their value. if you dont like them, you can probably sell them quick.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Indytown
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
        the good thing about the classe is they will hold their value. if you dont like them, you can probably sell them quick.
        Doggy, the Classe will sound differnet. Your ear may be adjusted to Krell. Tough call.

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

I don't have the luxury of a tryout. Not where I am in France. Its been feeling around in the dark forever.

Comment

• misterdoggy
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Well I took a decision after speaking with some friends in the know and have decided to stay with Krell. so I am looking for a FPB300CX or FPB400CX in 240V.

2 reasons:

one Classe resale value is much less than Krell.

From what I've "heard" although it seems Classe is less fatiguing, Krell has much more Bass and "punch" and even though I listen to mostly Piano Music and Rock and Roll I prefer punch to warmth.

So I've let the threesome 3 x cam350's @ 1700 ea pass. My search continues

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI doggy,
              I'm relieved. Buying audio sight unseen is very risky. I think you did the right thing. My comments are not intended to elevate Krell over Classe. Rather, at this level one's choices will be dictated by taste instead of others opinions or product reviews. This can only determined by personal audition. You have expressed this view yourself.

Sparky

Comment

• misterdoggy
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Originally posted by Karma
                HI doggy,
                I'm relieved. Buying audio sight unseen is very risky. I think you did the right thing. My comments are not intended to elevate Krell over Classe. Rather, at this level one's choices will be dictated by taste instead of others opinions or product reviews. This can only determined by personal audition. You have expressed this view yourself.

Sparky
                Sparky,

You got me there. I don't practice what I preach. I probably gave the advice to my American friends who can have their friendly B&W, Classe or Krell dealer file over 5 or 6 Amps going for $5k to $10k each to see which sounds better and take his pick.

I live in the French Alpes, I can have any number of Ski's to try out (Salomon Skis are made in my town) but if I want to see about good Hifi I have to drive an 1- 1/2 hrs to Grenoble to give a listen.

So I read and read, comments by people who own and have listened, not only in our chat group but on Audiogon and all the reviews. Just tap in Krell FPB400cx or Classe Cam400 and you can spend hours reading.

This is how I "feel" it out. Then I get it here and either love it or hate it.

Eventually I get it right.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"