X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • armasace
    • May 2005

B&W 800D Better with Krell or Classe

Hi guys

I currently have a pair of the 800D with hooked up to the Krell Audio Standards Mono-blocks and using the Krell HTS 7.1.

I also have a Krell KAV 3250 with the HTM2D

I wanted to get some of your opinions that have heard Omega series with the 800D and what your thoughts are?

I don't know of any dealer who has the 800D hooked up to a full Classe Omega series.
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

I'd like to know the same, but what about 803's? Anyone offer a compare/contrast between the Classe and Krell amps?

Comment

• Eliav
      • Jul 2005

Hi
      I have the same questioin with regards to Krell/Classe driving 803s, did you find anything ? what models are you particulary looking at ? I was lookin at Classe ca401/301 vs. Krell fpb350cx
      Thanks
      Eliav
      :T Socrat

Comment

• aphexist
        • Jan 2004

I suppose it really depends on whether you prefer the "British" sound or the "American" sound. The Krell is more detailed, while the Classe is more analytical. The Classe is more laid-back while the Krell has a relaxed sound. The Krell is more of a rectangular volume, while the Classe has some cylindrical properties.

If I were to make a personal recommendation it would be the Krell, definitely...no wait...Classe, without a doubt...hold on...Krell...Classe...Krasse!

Comment

• Seeme
          • Dec 2004

It will come down to what kind of sound you like to listen to. I owned both Classe and Krell and I loved them both, but they both have positives and negatives in regards to the B&W's. I have found that if you want to truely get good bass out of your 800's then you need to consider the Krell as I feel that Krell has done a great job with the fpb350cx series amplifers. In regards to the Classe you will need to consider the ca401 for the 800's to match what the 350cx can do. Try and see if they will let you do a side by side demo because with these two amps it's really a person preference.

I went with the new Delta series because of the detail and warm sound, it help to tame the bright highs the B&W's exhibit on certain CD's.

Comment

• Eliav
            • Jul 2005

Thanks guys, it will be practically impossible for me to audition any of these beasts since I live so far away from any dealership, besides, I am planning to buy a used one so a pre-purchase audition will be out of question. I understand though that both amps are serious competitors to drive the 803s.
            Anybody know what is the difference between the classe old CA series( such as CA 401) and the new Delta series ? (particular sonic differences )?
            Thanks
            Eliav

Comment

• Seeme
              • Dec 2004

Well, I owned the Classe CA-301 and I wanted to upgrade my amp because I was moving from B&W 804's to the 800's sig's or the D series and I wanted something with a little more juice.

I audition the Delta series, Mac MC 501, Krell TAS "I did not want to spend the money for the cx series and the CA 401. I found that the classe gave me more of what I was looking for.

I was driving a 802D during my audition and the difference between the CA-401 and Delta series was not earth shacking, it was a little smoother with a little more detail "It seemed to have a little less back ground noise and it had a little bit more power in the bass region". I would have purchased the CA-401 because I thought it was the best bang for the buck but I went with the CA-3200. I got an extra channel for the center and I didn't loss anything.

I'm a Krell fan and whatever choice you make you will be happy.

Good Luck

Comment

• Eliav
                • Jul 2005

Thanks. Very usefull information since I will probably won't be able to audition before purchasing. I guess with either one of the beasts you can't loose. Let's see whichever comes available first in audiogon ...
                cheers
                Eliav

Comment

• fatcat
                  • Feb 2005

Seeme -- what did you think of the McIntosh MC-501 compared with the other amps you tried? It's difficult for me to audition where I live as well, and am wondering what were your impressions.

Thank you.

Comment

• Seeme
                    • Dec 2004

Hi Fatcat,

The MC-501 is a great amp and this was the amp my dealer was trying to get me to purchase for the 802D's but after doing a side by side audition with the same cables "Analysis Plus solo crystal XLR's and speaker wire", Meridian 861, Meridian G91. It was clear to me after 5 min. that the Classe and the Krell where both better for me. JMHO

I found that the MC-501 had a more darker presentation while pushing the B&W's and I had to crank the volume in order to get the same dynamics out of it. With the Krell and the Classe, I did not have to play it as loud to get the same dynamics.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• jericho
                      • Dec 2004

I just had the other idea, listening to the Mac, comparing with the classé on a pair of 802D, the Mac 501 seemed to have more punch than the Classé CA-M400.The processor of Classé is my opinion not worth the money.We did the test with the ssp-600 and the ca-m400, and also with the mac MX-135 with the MC-501.

Comment

• Seeme
                        • Dec 2004

Hi jericho,

I would agree in regards to the processor, I have not been impressed by the Classe Pre-Amp's. I have also found that it's hard to truley judge when it's connected to different sources. I always do my testing with the same equipment so I can true hear the difference for me, that is.

I know it's not always easy to do but I'm glad I have a good repour with my dealer. "He tells me... What are we moving around this time"

I found that the Classe can take on a different sound depending on what you have connected to it, either via interconnects and or source comp. where it was not that much of the case when we tested the Mac.

Happy listening.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"