X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

700 Series - tweeter covers on or off

I was just listening to the new Kate Bush CD on my 705s and I was finding the high frequencies really annoying to the point where I wanted to stop the CD.

Its kind of late in the day so I figured it might just be my mood. It was not sibilance, but something else that I was finding irritating (no anti Kate Bush comments please). I know that some people listen with the speaker grills off but I have not done this in the past as I know the drivers can be easily damaged. I tried this and like magic the problem with the highs had gone. Not only that but the detail of the sound improved. I have removed the covers in the past for short periods but it did not seem to alter the sound.

My question is this. How do you listen to your speakers, grills on or grills off, and do you find this improves the sound?. I am particularly interested in the tweeters. I am guessing that the covers on the 705s were resonating, making the highs unpleasant to listen to. Have others noticed a similar improvement?

I would post a poll on this but am not sure how to do it.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:
  • PavelL
    • Sep 2005

I believe the manual says you should keep the tweet's grills ON. It was designed to sound better that way. But the tweeters' less than perfect off-axis response is what may be causing the problem... You might have to try some room treatment :W

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Yup, you are right. Thanks for pointing that out. Its on the owners guide CD, although it talks about protecting the tweeter rather than making it sound better.

Shame really as I think removing the grill does make the sound smoother and more detailed. I see that they have no problems with removing grills on the 600s. I guess they are less exposed or possibly more robust.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• jim777
        • Mar 2005

My 703's sound a bit better with the speaker and tweeter grils off, but it is so dangerous to poke that little tweater... The metal frame of that grill wants is attracted to the tweeters magnet so be carefull if you take it off and when you put it back...

But I almost always listen with both grills on and I never take off the tweeter grill (only once to see if the difference was *huge* and it was not the case)

Comment

• Briz vegas
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

I found the 2004 stereophile review of the 705 interesting reading, particularly this quote

" I removed the grilles from the woofers; though I first left the minimal grille covers over the tweeters, I ended up preferring the sound without them. "

Another quote comes to mind "Do you feel lucky punk? Well. do you?". It comes down to the precautionary principle vs the risk tolerant approach and the perceived benefits of tweeter naturism.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"