X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wmilas
    • Dec 2006

Question about spikes.

Whats the REAL story with these things. I know they are supposed to isoltate the speaker from floor vibrations or some such. What do they really do?

1) What exactly are they supposed to isolate from? Why does this matter? The only thing I can assume is transference of low level energy to the floor? But if this energy was transfered why would it mater? (Beides annoying neighbors downstairs) I assume energy building in the cabinet would transfer some way regardless? (Or simply explode if too much energy built up?)

2) I see that spikes would be useful in carpet simply so that the speaker doesn't move once placed. However I've seen setups where people use spikes on hardwood. What they do is put a quarter or another small metal disk under the spike. How is this helpful at all? The speaker easily moves. The same with bassboxes. Ive seen MTM's on top of bassboxes affixed by spikes.

Don't make fun of me... just trying to understand
  • Volenti
    • Jan 2007

I see #2 (spikes punching through carpet to get a solid base on the floor)as the only real benifit of spikes, if you want to isolate something you use mass and/or visoelastic materials, not metal spikes which will do a good job of coupling your 2 items together.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"