X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • worldys
    • Dec 2005

ASW4000 or ASW850

I have an ASW 4000. Got it because it was their biggest sub and I didn't have a full Nautilus set at the time. Now I have matching n803, n805, htm1. Wondering if I should sell the 4000 and get an 850. Has anyone compared the two? Other than looks is there an appreciable difference?
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

I haven't heard or seen the 4000 before, but if you can afford it and the aesthetics of are important to you, I'd trade the 4000 for 850 any day.

Comment

• caleb
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by worldys
      I have an ASW 4000. Got it because it was their biggest sub and I didn't have a full Nautilus set at the time. Now I have matching n803, n805, htm1. Wondering if I should sell the 4000 and get an 850. Has anyone compared the two? Other than looks is there an appreciable difference?
      I have used an ASW4000 and it lasted about a month.

Couldn't get the sound to be 'tight" no matter what I did or where i placed it.

I have the ASW850 now and it is streets ahead of the 4000..

You won't regret the change if you make it.

Comment

• chinets
        • Jun 2005

ASW 850 Without blinking!!!!!!!!!!! Throw the ASW 4000 away. You can't compare apples and Insects.....You have no comparison. If you can afford ASW 850 get it and it will change your life, especially that you have the best N803 and HTM1 ,and those N805 need that ASW 850 badly for bass. You can't dirve a Ferrari with a Mazda engine ..PLEASE!!!! GO FOR IT NOW!!!! Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• worldys
          • Dec 2005

Everyone is talking about the 4000 like it is a piece of sh*t, but they both retailed for 3000 and they both have the same N801 driver so quality should be about the same. They both use the same nautilus 801 driver but the 4000 has a bigger cabinet (and is 66 lbs heavier), which in my limited understading, explains the lower frequencies achievable with the 4000 (compare frequency response on the B&W website). Thanks for the input from caleb who has actually listened to both of them, but what evidence are the others using to declare the 850 the clear winner. I agree that the 850 looks better, but my questions pertains to sound not aesthetics.

Comment

• chinets
            • Jun 2005

Worldys, I have tried both and the ASW 850 sounds way better. Night and day for me IMHO!!!! Try both and you will I believe agree with me. B&W ranks ASW 850 or ASW 855 as top of the line ,NOT the ASW 4000 and that should say something to you. The B&W company would even say that, so why not trust at least the people who would sell it to you even if they cost the same. Sorry to disagree, but IMHO opinion ASW 850 is the one to go with no matter how big the cabinet is ,remember Matrix material in the ASW 850, that should ring a bell??????

Comment

• worldys
              • Dec 2005

thanks to chinets and caleb

cheers

Comment

• stewfoo
                • Jul 2005

I say that if you are really looking for an all around good sub and are looking at the asw850, I would also look at the Velodyne DD15 or DD18. These subs ROCK and have servo adjustments to assure musical accuracy. I just audiogoned my REL stentor and bought the DD-18. All I can say is WOW! :E
                Stew

803s mains
                HTM3s centers
                ccm80 ceiling surrounds
                Rotel 1072 as a transport
                Classe ssp-300 pre-proc
                Classe 3200 amp
                Rotel 2x 40 (for ceilings) lol
                Stew

Comment

• RobP
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Worldys,

If you have the chance to audition a sub that has servo drivers do so, I had the ASW850 for awhile and sold it. It was a great subwoofer, but I wanted a little more output and accuracy, I tried the Velodyne DD series, they are nice, but I ended up with a Martin Logan Descent, it blended very well with my N803's moreso than the Velodyne did, matter of fact it got out of the way of the 803's and changed the way my whole system sounded. I dont want to steer you away from B&W, but sometimes its good to step outside and give other things a try.
                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• worldys
                    • Dec 2005

Thanks for the suggestions about servo-subs. I have heard of them before but never new what the difference was. I did a goog;e search just now and my limited understanding is that most servo subs are actually servo-corrected subs, which means there is a sensor for the position of the voice coil and through some kind of feedback loop, the servo-control corrects for voice coil position so as to reduce distortion. Is that right or is there an easier way to understand things?

Have auditioned the second to best martin logan sub at a local dealer and was quite impressed but I like the integrity of an all B&W system. I have also heard great things about REL subs. But all these choices give me a headache which is why the 850 as an upgrade path seemed appealing.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"