X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

asw850 & star wars

Watched A New Hope last night, and boy do I feel sorry for my neighbors. They have not said anything to me about watching movies, but I can only imagine what it must feel like in their apartments.

The 850 had everything in my apartment that could shake, shake, rattle, and almost fall. I found myself having to turn the sub down. What a monster. I have still been debating about trading my 804's and the sub in for a pair of 802's, and try to go without, but after that, I can't. I'll just have to find a way to get 802's. After all, if 802's are what they use to mix at skywalker sound, than what better way could there be to enjoy lucas's films? After all, Star Wars is what got me into surround sound.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Sikoniko,

Glad to see you are starting to appreciate the deep down qualities of the maginificent ASW-850... A sub to last you the next 10 years... Something to satisify the need to go deeeeep.....

Now I like your 802 idea - when you get that new house - they need air to breath....

Geoff

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Well, I know this is rather unrealistic, and uncharacteristic of an HT-junkie, however, I would really like to upgrade my speakers to a point where I possibly never upgrade them again, and do it while I still have a trade-up path through my dealer.

My goal is to have the following speakers:

Center: htm1
      Mains: N802
      Rears: SCM1
      Sub: ASW-850

Of that, I only have 2. I will definately be getting the SCM1's after the first of the year (have fiance's approval). The final step will be finding a way to get those 802's.

Now when I say final, this does not take into account if down the road I go 7.1, nor does it account for new receiver, dvd player, or TV/projector of some sort.

I am sure new speakers will come out sounding as good as or better, but I feel fairly confident in saying that my dream system (speaker-wise), as listed above, will be more than adequate for a life-time of home movie viewing.

Back to the subject at hand. All I have to say is B&W and Star Wars is a match made in heaven. Especially since the soundtrack was mixed by b&w's!!!

To give a fair review, I will say that much of the tracks, and fullness will go unnoticed at lower levels. With my current living situation, I tried to start off at high levels, but had to continuously lower the volume. In doing this I did notice the fullness fade away.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• aarsoe
        • May 2004

Allthough I like the idea of never upgrading again - I dont think it is realistic. Why? Well age will take its toll on any speaker or component. Oxidation, caps collapsing, tolerances becomming bigger and off spec etc will ensure for certain that what you fell in love with at some point in time will sound and look differently - you know, just like what my wife for sure is bound to realise one day....

All of a sudden the carbon idea that van den hul have looks better - problem is that Doug can deliver 10 cables for the price of one of his, so maybe we should just stick with doing that.. ;-)

Comment

• gostan
          • May 2003

Sikoniko:

I picked up my copy of the Trilogy yesterday, but I have not yet had the opportunity to give any of it a watch/listen. I have been too busy working to replenish my savings utilized for my recent upgrade. This weekend I will be lucky enough to be able to crank up my 850 full blast - I hope that the roof stays on and no mirrors fall off of the walls. My nearest neighbor is about 75 feet away. Maybe I should invite him over to watch-listen....just in case.

I will come to Florida to listen when you complete your upgrades.

Stan
          Stan

Comment

• glimmer
            • Aug 2004

To fully appreciate Star Wars...

You would also need the Chord Amps..... :T which unfortunately is out of reach to most of us :cry:

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"