X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suske67
    • Jul 2003

B&W Loudspeaker spec cable

Hi there,
    I have been reading on the website of synergistic research about B&W spec cable.

At Synergistic Research we focus on a total-system approach, creating synergy in your system. Your audio experience will be taken to a whole other level.

This looks like amazing technology and very interresting.
    I will have to look for them here in Europe because i don't know if they have a distributor over here...
    If anyone of you can give me some feed back... or if someone of you has any experience with these cables... :T

thanks
    Last edited by suske67; 29 December 2005, 21:24 Thursday. Reason: forgot something
    listen and you'll buy
  • jrd
    • Dec 2003

Read this first

Welcome to the forum. Before this goes any further, make sure you take some time to read the forum rules here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/announc...nouncementid=5.

Comment

• suske67
      • Jul 2003

sorry

Hi there,

Ok i did not know that there were cable rules concerning mentioning and posting names.
      But as is is a product higly related to B&W speakers i thought it could be interresting for the members of the forum. ;x(
      Won't do it again but ordered the cables last night... couldn't hold back after reading several reviews.
      listen and you'll buy

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by suske67
        Hi there,

Ok i did not know that there were cable rules concerning mentioning and posting names.
        But as is is a product higly related to B&W speakers i thought it could be interresting for the members of the forum. ;x(
        Won't do it again but ordered the cables last night... couldn't hold back after reading several reviews.

those cables have nothing to do with B&W, in fact B&W is contemplating legal action...
        Last edited by Andrew M Ward; 30 December 2005, 13:51 Friday. Reason: spelling

Comment

• caleb
          • Aug 2004

Forum rules aside, we have already had a thread about these cables.

I just wish that people would try a dose of common sense before the open stupid threads like this!

Comment

• tod dennis
            • Dec 2005

What?!!!

OK guys I am new to this forum but I have to ask- what kind of a forum is this anyway? I just read a thread from the "administrator" selling his "CAT CABLES" and then I read this thread stating that mentioning cables is forbidden (Well other then CAT CABLES). Is this an open discussion forum, or a manufacturers site pretending to be an open discussion forum?

I have been a B&W owner for years and a Synergistic Research cable user for nearly as long. I find that different cables work in different systems and I for one am intrigued to try the new B&W spec cables in my system. Is this not what the whole hobby is about? When I had tube electronics I used Looking Glass interconnects from Synergistics then when I switched to Rotel I tried some Kaleidoscope interconnects also from Synergistics and guess what- they worked better with my solid state electronics (Looking Glass is for tubes and Kaleidoscope is for solid state). Now I am going to compair my old Signature No.2 speaker wires to a new pair of B&W spec speaker cable and post my findings (unless I am banned from this forum for mentioning a cable brand other than CAT CABLE in which case I say this forum is as un-American as anything I can imagine). Freedom of speech is what this country and the internet are all about IMHO. :T

Comment

• Mark_C.
              • Jan 2003

If you don't agree with the rules, go somewhere else. It's that simple.

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                • May 2004

Hi Tod,
                Dont run away yet, there are some good folks here. You just first must never mention cables here or competing brands in different forums. Steel

Comment

• Jeff
                  • Dec 2004

Wow, do we need a time out?

When a first time guest comes to your home and doesn't take off their shoes, do you threaten to through them out of the house?!!!!

Why communicate with hostility when the same thing can be said with grace. Respect begets respect.

Thanks, Jeff

Comment

• grit
                    • Jan 2005

Hey Tod,

Yes. Please stay around. My understanding is that brand-specific discussion of cables (all of them) is prohibited because this site is owned by someone who owns a cable company. It took me a while to figure out WHICH company, because it's not brought up much around here, and there are larger adds on the site for other companies.

What you'll usually see is people informing new posters that talking about cable brands are off limits, but if they're looking, they may want to TRY catcables.com. No one's using this as a venue to advertise.

And, I applaud the owner for maintaining a neutral stand by banning ALL brands as a topic of discussion. You'll notice though that posts are not deleted, the admisistrators simply remind (or inform) people not to post about cable brands. Fair enough IMO.

Hope you'll stay and participate.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Tod

Big welcome to the forum, and we hope to hear a lot more from you and your experiences.

We talk about cables in a general way without mentioning brands. ie: like someone who prefers lamp wire versus optical, or silver wire of brand X etc.

Otherwise everything else is permitted.

Read through some threads and you'll get the general idea.

People are generally courteous here and feel free to come and discuss

Hey Mark C, ...........lighten up, That's not the way to encourage 1st timers. He wasn't familiar with the rules and everybody starts sometime.

:T

Comment

• Mark_C.
                        • Jan 2003

...and he should start by reading the FAQs...then we don't have a need for such a thread. Easy, no?
                        Oh, yeah: welcome to the forum!

Comment

• tod dennis
                          • Dec 2005

"Me thinks he protests too much"

Hey guys here are the rules as per the administrator’s link and post:

1. Casual cable discussion is expected as part of audio video in general. During that discussion, a brand of cables may be mentioned, but not "advertised". It is not permissible to list a hot link or otherwise FULL URL to that company's site during casual conversation about that brand/cable. nor may promotional materials be presented on that cable brand's behalf, whether online or brick and morter.

I have re-read my post and feel I am definitely within these rules. I am discussing my passion for B&W speakers and as it happens, a new cable has come on the market (one that I have had very good luck with in the past). I was merely discussing these cables in the context of a B&W forum and since these cables are voiced for B&W speakers I see no problem- “Casual cable discussion is expected as part of audio video in general”. I am certainly not advertising or promoting nor did I list a URL link. However I do feel I am within the limit of “casual cable discussion” especially in light of a B&W forum- I would think many of my fellow B&W enthusiasts would be interested in sharing any information that might allow our speakers to perform to full potential.

2. More freedom is given to DEALER ONLY SOLD PRODUCTS discussion. Kimber Cable, Audioquest, Nordost are a few. These are the brands you primarily only find at your local dealer. This is especially true of our own A/V retail advertisers store only products. We support those dealers products.

I purchased my first pair of SR cables from my local dealer nearly ten years ago, first in Manhattan and most recently in San Francisco. They are definitely a DEALER ONLY SOLD PRODUCT.

3. Web brands of cables other than the house brands are allowed limited discussion rights by individual users only, NO dealers or manufacturer presense, or "Shills" that exist at the express intent of the dealer or manufacturer. The cables can be mentioned, but not promoted. They can be listed in your profile as used by you, but not advertised as a cure all in every thread asking about cables. If you like one, you can mention it "to a point". But if it becomes an all-consuming thing for any individual or product, with talk of that product dominating discussions, those rights can quickly evaporate and be deleted in whole or part up to and including member termination.

OK so if I am to banished then so be it. This seemed like a good place to meet like-minded people and share experiences and tips to getting better performance. Thanks also to those of you who’ve come forward seemingly as incredulous as I felt when a few sought to push me down so roughly. At first I thought I might have been out of line but after re-reading the bi-laws, I feel I am squarely within the rules.

PS. Cool homepage and business "mrdoggy" : )

Comment

• misterdoggy
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

Tod,

You're not banished. Stick around, new blood is always good !!

Cable discussions are only a minor part of our discussions.

There are those that think you can use heavy gauge lamp wire (good old copper wire) as current is current versus resistance divided by loss and a signal is a signal, both in the digital and ananlog domain (1's and x's can't be changed)

Then there are those that think you need to lay down the price of a car, for good cables.

I personally go by that I spend about 10% of my equipment value in cables. For me that represents about $5000-$6000 in cables.

There are 2 camps

a) scientific reasoning with blind tests that there can't be a difference

b) Personal experience in your own home with your ears telling you there is a difference (and also no difference for the other camp)

We have had almost hostile discussions as its almost evenly divided or enough in both camps to seem so.

So we do talk cables, but discreetly .......

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2003

So we do talk cables, but discreetly .......
                              A truer word spoken...

I moderate according to the forum rules.... I occasional cable discussions are fine - but links / promotion of web brands are not... However cable discussions often get out of hand (seems to be an emotional topic) where most people have strong opinions... So I try and minimise them anyway – especially if someone seems to be pushing a particular brand…

Welcome to the forum and enjoy – there are some of the best people on the net here!!!

Geoff

Comment

• suske67
                                • Jul 2003

hi guy's

I have been waiting a while and received my cables...perfectly packed and finished.
                                For those who do not believe in cable... please try them out, for those who believe in cable... try it too...

It is the best upgrade in my system since years. More definition and dynamics, an amazing soundstage without the coloration i had before. (I will not mention the cable brand with the battery...)
                                Thanks for letting me share this and have fun enjoying your system... mine has improved a lot :-)
                                listen and you'll buy

Comment

• Lex
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Apr 2001

where is my damn blue light when I need it. Cable police cable police!

I'm only kidding. Fact is, I don't have time to police this whole forum, but as a primary sponsor that helps keep the doors open at this forum, we do ask consideration from members about cables, and yes, many of you have supported CAT, both openly and totally, and many of you have embrassed them, as the quality cables they are and then some. That's why good members are saying hey, realize what we've got here, aside from the whackey cable guy.

It is true that I own both the cable company CAT, as well as HTGuide. HTGuide came first, before I had outside interests. That is a LARGE distinction. not only that, but my 20,000 posts at public forums assisting people with audio video needs for probably 6 years before even starting HTGuide means, I've given a little back to the community. Ok, I guess a whole lot.

I recently joined a photography forum, and I was instantly known by a few people there, as Doug from CAT. One guy called me the Ron Resnick of cables. What did he mean by that? He meant, I'm a knowledgable, giving guy, that helps others, without the bottom line being most important. That I put my customers first, and am credited with some creative ideas, and good work. Often, I guess that's been true, and fact is, we've held our rates way down on high end silver products that compare favorably with more expensive competition. So, no, we don't have to hide behind the vail of our own forum to survive. But we aren't stupid either, and are not going to just open things wide up for the blood sucking competition to come in with their lackies shooting business their way at our own home base, so CAT Cables are the official cables of HTGuide.com, and as long as I'm owner, it's going to remain that way- I was quite honored by this comment from someone that I didn't even know, but knew me. One guy bought his CATs used, but his opinion of CAT was top shelf.

Doug
                                  HTGuide.com
                                  CATCables.com
                                  Doug
                                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• sikoniko
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2003

Doug,

with your extensive knowledge of cables, perhaps you could comment on these cables and your opinions on the whole "active" cable thing. I know you don't offer an active cable, but have you experimented, and what results have you found if you have? it looks to me like he sells them for $3000 for say 10ft, but it only costs him around $200-300 to make. would that be a fair guess?

thanks,
                                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• shadow
                                      • Dec 2003

What type of response are you expecting from a competitor of S****** Cables? They are better than his? Not likely, and since Cat does not use this technology, what is he to say about it and what weight if any do you give to his opinion? If he does respond, does that mean you can talk about Cat cables here but not direct competitors, even if its brought up by the owner/moderator? In the end it does not matter a whit what the moderator thinks about cables, what do you think? What direct experience with either product do you have? If none, see if you can do a direct comparison and decide for yourself. Its your money and no elses opinon is superior to yours on your system.

Comment

• RobP
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

Shadow, I think the response that we would get would be a honest educated response from the forum sponser, the question is not are they better ,but does this "active" cable system actually work and is it worth the extra money? I would rather know ANY opinion before I blindly dropped the money that they ask for a cable system that may end up being alot of bells and whistles.
                                        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• shadow
                                          • Dec 2003

I agree Robert, but then I am not a big advocate of high price cable and its alleged advantages over standard, well made cable.

Comment

• jim777
                                            • Mar 2005

So funny! The Spinal Tap "These go to eleven" quote actually refers to his custom Marshall amplifiers that player louder than normal. Tufnel almost says in the same sentence that he prefers loudness to quality on a Satriani vhs I have...

And then cables voiced for B&W; does that mean that B&W speakers are not "voiced" correctly? What does the "active" part of the cable do?

So maybe these are great cables, but the maketing pitch is FoS.

Comment

• chinets
                                              • Jun 2005

Welcome Suske67 and Tod to the Forum,
                                              Stay with us guys and don't listen to some of the grumpy ones that want to banish the new blood.
                                              Cables or not you are here to learn and to benefit from all of us and we are here for the same reason, no more no less!!!!!!!!
                                              Enjoy the forum we are all ears and want to help New friends just like we want to learn too.
                                              I personally believe cables do not make a big difference and that is my hearing and philosophy ,but one must have at least proper cables to run your speakers, but to pay an arm and a leg and believe you have upgraded to a million dollar equipment is a true fantasy IMHO!!!!!!!!!! Cables are cables!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Name or no name!!!!
                                              Have fun in this forum ,and we welcome you with open hands,
                                              Chinets

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"