X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TacoD
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2004

Scan Speak 2-way floor standing loudspeaker

Over the years I have seen a lot of nice projects on this forum board, somehow compact 2-way floor standing speakers are not that populair. Even though in my opinion there are advantages of not needing to buy a pair of stands or have very ugly cabinet proportions to get enough internal volume. Therefor I decided to share my 2-way loudspeaker I build last year.

Loudspeaker Units
    • Tweeter: Scan Speak D3004/664000, in my ears this is the best dome tweeter you can buy in this price range.
    • Woofer: Scan Speak 18WU/8747T00, I bought the Scan Speak 18WU woofers for a different project but decided to use those for this one. As this unit is not designed to be used for mid duties it requires special care in the crossover to stay away from the cone break-ups.

Cabinet Design
    As I was browsing the web for inspiration for a nice looking shape I came across the Kharma in the picture below. I really like the shape a lot and decided to use it.

Note: the loudspeaker I present here is not an attempt to clone this speaker, I only borrowed the design of the cabinet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kharma-ceramique-3.3-2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	944796

Unfortunately I did not updated the CAD drawing to reflect how the cabinet is actually build. When discussing the drawing with my carpenter who did all the cuts and the CNC work, it turned out I was a bit to ambitious with the driver cut outs. In the attached drawing you can see the baffle is squeezed between the side walls. With 35 mm side walls (as depicted in the drawing) there is not enough wood left at the sides to have enough tolerance machining the driver recess. So in the end the side walls were reduced to 30 mm, increasing the volume to 39 liters.

CAD drawing of the cabinet: 2weg.luidspreker.pdf

See below for the simulations of the 18WU in 39 liters. I used the program AJ Horn as it is also doing very accurate BR simulations.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	ajhorn_sim.jpg Views:	1 Size:	90.0 KB ID:	871369

For the bass reflex port I used the Intertechnik JET70, this is a 3 piece port (you have to order the trumpet ends separately) which you can fully customize. Inner tube diameter is 70. The total length before the trumpet starts is 180 mm.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010410.jpg Views:	1 Size:	41.8 KB ID:	871368

Crossover Design
    The goal was to cross as low as possible and use the 18WU in its pistonic range. The tweeter is also cable to be crossed low as long as high order filters are used. Earlier experience with cauer filters led to discovery of this forum (thanks Jon) and I did found with the right drivers it can sound very resolving.

For the actual design of the x-over in LspCAD the drivers where measured in the final cabinet using Praxis. It only has a couple of extra parts extra than a text book 4th order filter. I build the x-over with left overs in my parts box, I do recommend to use at least MKP and good quality air core inductors.

The schematics:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	filter.PNG Views:	1 Size:	11.0 KB ID:	871371

And the simulated x-over:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	FR_inphase.PNG Views:	1 Size:	42.6 KB ID:	871372
    Attached Files
    Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 21:28 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
  • TacoD
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2004

The Build
    All the panels where pre cut by my carpenter, the sides are 30 mm MDF and the other panels are out of 35 mm MDF. Note that all edges have a round over of 20 mm (my drawing details a more elaborate polynomial arc, but CNC time turned out to be very expensive).

My carpenter did a great job all the panels fitted without glue, only using the lamello biscuits. Some pictures of the build process:

Click image for larger versionName:	exploded.view.jpgViews:	1Size:	32.0 KBID:	859348

and gluing (used normal wood glue)

Click image for larger versionName:	glue.part1.jpgViews:	1Size:	32.9 KBID:	859349

Click image for larger versionName:	glue.part2.jpgViews:	1Size:	27.7 KBID:	859350

Ready to be painted

Click image for larger versionName:	glued.jpgViews:	1Size:	25.1 KBID:	859351

As I was in a hurry, I quickly rolled some white paint on the speakers:

Click image for larger versionName:	paint.jpgViews:	1Size:	37.0 KBID:	859352
    Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 21:33 Saturday. Reason: Update image size

Comment

• TacoD
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2004

I used simple plastic door stops as feet:

Click image for larger versionName:	P1010433.jpgViews:	1Size:	98.3 KBID:	859353

The inductors and capacitors are from the parts bin.

Click image for larger versionName:	P1010435.jpgViews:	1Size:	101.2 KBID:	859354

Because of the tick back panel I really had a hard time to get the connectors in. I refuse to use plastic binding post plates, thus this has to do for now .

Click image for larger versionName:	P1010437.jpgViews:	1Size:	43.5 KBID:	859355
      Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 21:32 Saturday. Reason: Update image size

Comment

• TacoD
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2004

End Result
        Took these pictures in the current habitat, unfortunately low light and only phone camera.

Click image for larger versionName:	final.jpgViews:	1Size:	26.7 KBID:	859356

Click image for larger versionName:	final.closeup.jpgViews:	1Size:	35.8 KBID:	859357

I use these loudspeakers with an UCD 700 based amplifier and given the fact it is only a 2-way loudspeaker it performs very well. The low level resolution is very good and compared to a good 3-way it does not give in a lot on the mid band.
        Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 21:33 Saturday. Reason: Update image size

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Looks great. Wish I could hear it.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Nice looking work, Taco! :T

How do YOU like the sound of the 6640? It's probably my all around favorite dome, when you factor in price (the diamond Jantzen's lose on that score! )
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
              Supreme Being Moderator
              • Sep 2009

That is a very low crossover point for the 6640! Although I am sure the speaker sounds significantly better because of it. The 6640 can certainly handle going that low, but it'll probably start to lose steam if pushed too loud.

This design certainly makes for a nice change in the 7" + 1" format, I would quite like to hear them too
              What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
              5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
              Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Jonasz
                • Nov 2004

Very nice design Taco!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by 5th element
                  That is a very low crossover point for the 6640! Although I am sure the speaker sounds significantly better because of it. The 6640 can certainly handle going that low, but it'll probably start to lose steam if pushed too loud.

This design certainly makes for a nice change in the 7" + 1" format, I would quite like to hear them too
                  well, you know, he's playing games with one of those elliptic style crossover filters... a very modified 4th order... seems like I've seen that somewhere before....

Of course, before this was the M8a "bookshelf" speaker (well, if you had a large, extra strong bookshelf...)
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                    well, you know, he's playing games with one of those elliptic style crossover filters... a very modified 4th order... seems like I've seen that somewhere before....

Of course, before this was the M8a "bookshelf" speaker (well, if you had a large, extra strong bookshelf...)
                    I learned a lot from you and others on this forum, that also let me decide to put some time in sharing as well. I am not really concerned about the low x-over myself, I used the tweeter as well with a 15 cm mid with a x-over > 2 kHz and I cannot detect much difference.

To answer your earlier question, I think this is the best tweeter money can buy in this price segment. In the past I also played around with Raal/ planars/ air motion, while these have their own merits this tweeter is bombproof. Low x-over points and very nicely behaved top-end.

I also used a lot of other Scan Speak tweeters and I always did have a soft spot for their 9800 metal dome. The Scan metal domes do not have the pronounced 'brand' sound of Scan Speak as most of their soft domes. Resolution/ timbre is very good stil I think it does not have the dynamics of a Raal/ air motion or the timbre of a good planar. Its hard to find a good 'hard' dome, the old Accuton c12/ c23 and these doen't come close to the Be, actually never understood the fuss about these -> expensive and not that great sounding in my ears . Thus the Be is highly recommended.

For an all out loudspeaker I probably would still use a Raal. For a more compact design this is a nice compromise.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by TacoD
                      I learned a lot from you and others on this forum, that also let me decide to put some time in sharing as well. I am not really concerned about the low x-over myself, I used the tweeter as well with a 15 cm mid with a x-over > 2 kHz and I cannot detect much difference.

To answer your earlier question, I think this is the best tweeter money can buy in this price segment. In the past I also played around with Raal/ planars/ air motion, while these have their own merits this tweeter is bombproof. Low x-over points and very nicely behaved top-end.

I also used a lot of other Scan Speak tweeters and I always did have a soft spot for their 9800 metal dome. The Scan metal domes do not have the pronounced 'brand' sound of Scan Speak as most of their soft domes. Resolution/ timbre is very good stil I think it does not have the dynamics of a Raal/ air motion or the timbre of a good planar. Its hard to find a good 'hard' dome, the old Accuton c12/ c23 and these doen't come close to the Be, actually never understood the fuss about these -> expensive and not that great sounding in my ears . Thus the Be is highly recommended.

For an all out loudspeaker I probably would still use a Raal. For a more compact design this is a nice compromise.

Very interesting comments! They echo very much my own experiences and perceptions, including the 9800 metal dome! I think the 6640 is a prince among the Scanspeak royalty.

For an all out loudspeaker I probably would still use a Raal.
                      I also agree with this statement, and that's what I'm working on next...
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2004

Another all out project? Sounds like you cannot keep sitting still

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Another all out project? Sounds like you cannot keep sitting still
                          There's a saying about hiking, I picked up from a Sierra club event leader in Europe a couple of years ago: "If you want to keep hiking, you've got to keep hiking".

Sometimes I find I have an urge to do a certain kind of system, in a certain format perhaps, but I know my knowledge base or the available materials means the time isn't right, and that I must wait, in order to avoid some of the mistakes that others have made in pursuit of the same concept.

This is one of those times, and something that I've been thinking about doing for a long time, is possibly really ready for prime time at last. Plus, the GF will likely like the format better than some of the other things I've done, though she does really like Rob and Ginette. (Wavecor Ardents). Of course, whether this will really work the way I want remains to be seen... but I think it's promising. Fairly high, but I believe realistic performance targets. (i.e., 115 dB+ output capability, relatively small footprint, and sensitivity in the 95 dB/watt range. Break out your low power designs, if you like... :W
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2004

I bought a set of Raal tweeters (first version with normal transformer) to build a system with a high sensitivity. Unfortunately creating a 93dB plus system is hard if you want to have in a compact format and enough bass output. If space is no concern I would do a big 4 way (like the big verity audio's with a 15" bass)

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Unfortunately creating a 93dB plus system is hard if you want to have in a compact format and enough bass output.
                              That's so true! But... it might be time for me to go back and do a line array. Finally. What I'm working on in the concept stage is a dual cabinet system, an LF array with a floor footprint of about 15"x16", and a midwoofer/tweeter array with a foot print of about 11" wide and probably 16" deep also.

Midwoofer candidate, pending tests, is the Dayton Esoteric 5.5".

If we wire 12 of the ES140ti into 3 groups of four drivers in series, we wind up with a net impedance load of 10.6 ohms and a sensitivity of 94 dB. Another possible configuration is four groups of three drivers in series with a net impedance of 6 ohms and a net sensitivity of 96.54 dB. Hmmm, pretty sweet. Maybe too much. Maybe just right, though.

For the tweeters, I have my eye on the big RAAL, six on each side, with the amorphous core transformers (word from several people I trust who have used both say the amorphous core is the way to go). With the tweeters in two parallel groups of three in series, it should end up at 12 ohms with a sensitivity of 101 dB. Hmmm, got any small tube amps lying around? ;-) Won’t need much power for this. Maybe just an nCore running in the first 25 watts… I can't think of anything that is actually cleaner and quieter than the NCOE in that power range...

LF, I'm figuring another line array, some kind of 10" woofer, with or without PR. Planned footprint is based on what you can do with the Dayton knockdown cabinets, which are 15.25" x 15.25"; I may just stack up/glue together three each, to make two stackable column modules. Three of the L26RO4Y drivers in series gives a SPL of 90.2 dB for one watt, or 89.2 dB for 2.83VRMS; parallel two stacked and add on 6 dB, for roughly 96 dB. Six drivers total per side.

If we want something even smaller for the LF array, could go with the SW223BD02, like in the Wavecor Ardents, but they are pricey. And that would drop us back to about 92 dB for six on a side. Still, that's pretty livable. And a very clean driver. The matching PR is pretty much unobtanium, though; however there's no reason one couldn't use the SS or Seas PR with it. Or just go sealed without it. that would minimize the size.

For truly brute force LF output, the Dayton UMAX 10-22 driver could be considered; perhaps just sealed; then we're looking at 88dB/87db for 1w/2.83VRMS, and +6 for another 3 series in parallel, giving about 93-94 dB sensitivity for a fairly small footprint LF line array, with excellent throw and output capability (110 dB/side at 30 Hz sealed; 116dB side for a PR setup at full song. Anechoic.

I think that finally comes in the realm of if some's good, more is better, and too much is just enough. I expect bi-amping between the LF array, and midwoofer/tweeter cabinet; passive crossover up top, with some pricey caps. :W I need to test all the individual pieces before making design decisions.

Somewhere between $1600 and $4,000 for the LF array depending on driver and PR/no PR, $2880 for the midwoofer arrays, and, brace yourself, $8400 for the ribbons. Plus, we better kick in $750 to $1K for crossover parts, and I suppose we'll spend a few hundred on cabinet materials, given my love of LBL. And a dozen of those Dayton modular knockdown woofer boxes, at about $120 each. Hmm, comes to $1440 for just a big pile of MDF! But a lot of labor saving...

I've been saving up for a while for doing one final monster system around or before the time I retire. If you total this up, comes to under $18K. (not including paying for my time!) That's a serious pile of loot, but what can you buy for 18K? A used set of Avalon Indras? (which I suspect the Wavecor Ardents will wipe up the floor with). A used set of Magico S3's? (another dual 7" woofer three way, a very NICE one, but still....)

And the beautiful thing from my GF's point of view is that these will be sitting back in the front corners of the family room, taking up no floor space out in the center the way the Isiris does, and they'll have that 3 dB drop in SPL for doubling the distance instead of 6 dB, so the sound back in the dining room will be nearly identical to that in the family room, because these will be floor to ceiling with full reflected LF images.

That's the theory, anyway. They should be nearly invisible when not turned on and playing.

Many a slip twixt the cup and the lip, and all....

My apologies for the partial thread hijack, but just felt like I needed to respond to your comment.
                              Last edited by JonMarsh; 25 September 2014, 18:35 Thursday.
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

Hmmm, hot off the press, Solen has a dozen of the PR223BD01 PR's in stock.... gonna have to do something about that- and run some more calculations. Smaller is better, in this case...
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jonasz
                                  • Nov 2004

Interesting project Jon!
                                  So will these be placed in room corners? I have a pair just like that, they're big yet take up next to no floor space at all! :P

Maybe the new, not yet released, Satori 5" will be an alternative to the Daytons? Hopefully they will measure as good as the current model.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jonasz
                                    Interesting project Jon!
                                    So will these be placed in room corners? I have a pair just like that, they're big yet take up next to no floor space at all! :P
                                    Yeah, you've got the idea there- we're talking the twin towers, LF and Mid/treble. in each corner, and minimal footprint designs. May even be reasonable to do them with the Wavecor SW223BD01 and their PR (which I just found out today I was confusing the PR223BD02 with the PR223BD01, the latter being in stock at Solen), which would be a 1/3 reduction in needed enclosure volume, but need a little more amplifier power- but still sort of reasonable- if your idea of reasonable is a pair of Aragon Paladium mono blocks. But I've got them, and nothing else to do with them, so...

And what is the new Satori supposed to be like? Is that a successor to the MW16P-B? I've got a pair of the ES140ti, just lacking time to setup and measure them for a couple of weeks or so...
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Feb 2004

Impressive project plans Jon . I was not aware that Dayton was doing a more Scanspeak like 5.5" (titanium former, neo motor). Somehow I was thinking of the following if I read your description

Image not available

You can always sell your other projects (somehow I never do that, so I keep piling up parts).
                                      Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 21:29 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

You can always sell your other projects (somehow I never do that, so I keep piling up parts).
                                        Hmm, I don't either, though one may be given away as a wedding present to daughter. Others have been given away, like the NatalieP, and the Modula NeoD CC, to relatives. On the other hand, I rather like the wavecor Ardent, so I don't know... maybe they'll go in my man cave!

Yeah, this new thing I have in mind will be a bit like that picture, but a narrower Midwoofer/tweete module. I hope it won't be more than about 10", 11 at the outside. What I'd like to shoot for is 10" for the mid/tweeter module, and 12-14" for the woofer module, if I can get away with the Wavecor SW223's. That would be slick... and sick. :W 24" total. Not small, but still... comparatively...
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Feb 2004

That would be slick... and sick. :W 24" total. Not small, but still... comparatively...
                                          You can always decide to make them in wall, thus no floor space at all, or complex cabinet finishing.

Comment

• Jonasz
                                            • Nov 2004

Yeah, you've got the idea there- we're talking the twin towers, LF and Mid/treble. in each corner, and minimal footprint designs. May even be reasonable to do them with the Wavecor SW223BD01 and their PR (which I just found out today I was confusing the PR223BD02 with the PR223BD01, the latter being in stock at Solen), which would be a 1/3 reduction in needed enclosure volume, but need a little more amplifier power- but still sort of reasonable- if your idea of reasonable is a pair of Aragon Paladium mono blocks. But I've got them, and nothing else to do with them, so...

And what is the new Satori supposed to be like? Is that a successor to the MW16P-B? I've got a pair of the ES140ti, just lacking time to setup and measure them for a couple of weeks or so...
                                            No, not a successor, more of a complement. What I know is that it's a midbass, 132mm chassie, available in 8 or 4 ohm versions with 86,5 and 89 dB sensitivity.

There's also a larger 7.5" (187mm) Satori in the pipeline.

Adding a pic of one of my corner SWMTMWS.
                                            Sorry for the crappy looking "absorbers"...

Click image for larger version

Name:	CornerSWMTMWS_zps7fcd2a63.webp
Views:	153
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	944797
                                            Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 21:30 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• TacoD
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Feb 2004

serious project Jonasz! Looks like Scanspeak Peerless/ Raal combo

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                • Aug 2000

I bet you don't pick them up and move them around very often... rather Dunlavy-esque, but thinner!
                                                the AudioWorx
                                                Natalie P
                                                M8ta
                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                Modula MT XE
                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                Isiris
                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                Calliope
                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                Obi-Wan
                                                Modula PWB
                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jonasz
                                                  • Nov 2004

serious project Jonasz! Looks like Scanspeak Peerless/ Raal combo
                                                  You're absolutely right Taco, Raal 70-20, SS15W and SS26W8867. The subs are Peerless XLS12, got twelve more of those that will eventually get placed at different positions in the room.

Comment

• Jonasz
                                                    • Nov 2004

I bet you don't pick them up and move them around very often... rather Dunlavy-esque, but thinner!
                                                    No, they stay in the corners!

12dB filters at 2,2kHz and 350hz, sounds very coherent with a lot of dynamics and effortlessness (is that a word ) IMHO. It is very easy to play way too loud without realizing it until afterwards.

Comment

• Jonasz
                                                      • Nov 2004

Btw Taco, sorry for hijacking your thread about these awesome looking speakers of yours! ;x(

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                        • Aug 2000

No, they stay in the corners!

12dB filters at 2,2kHz and 350hz, sounds very coherent with a lot of dynamics and effortlessness (is that a word ) IMHO. It is very easy to play way too loud without realizing it until afterwards.
                                                        Ah, now, that's be being a speaker after my own heart! :B. And yes, that is a word, and an appropriate one I'm sure! :T
                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                        Natalie P
                                                        M8ta
                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                        Isiris
                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                        Calliope
                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                        Modula PWB
                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Feb 2004

Btw Taco, sorry for hijacking your thread about these awesome looking speakers of yours! ;x(
                                                          Np, always open to nice projects with Danish woofers

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Nov 2004

No, not a successor, more of a complement. What I know is that it's a midbass, 132mm chassie, available in 8 or 4 ohm versions with 86,5 and 89 dB sensitivity.

There's also a larger 7.5" (187mm) Satori in the pipeline.

Adding a pic of one of my corner SWMTMWS.
                                                            Sorry for the crappy looking "absorbers"...

Click image for larger version  Name:	CornerSWMTMWS_zps7fcd2a63.webp Views:	0 Size:	38.0 KB ID:	944797

Indeed, this is a most appealing configuration, and I can hardly fault your color choice, either.... you have every right to be proud of this technological terror. It is truly worthy of the Dark side...
                                                            Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 21:31 Saturday. Reason: Update quote
                                                            DFAL
                                                            Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• Jonasz
                                                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Evil Twin
                                                              Indeed, this is a most appealing configuration, and I can hardly fault your color choice, either.... you have every right to be proud of this technological terror. It is truly worthy of the Dark side...
                                                              Dark Lord, very honoured to receive such recognition directly from the most evil authority. :P

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"