X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george_k
    • Jan 2004

Marble tweeter housing
    I sure hope not or we'll be talking big big coin!

Comment

• Mikael
      • Aug 2007

What happened with the 805D is it dead in the water or do you have more news about it Mark-n-b?

Comment

• Mark-n-b
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Mikael
        What happened with the 805D is it dead in the water or do you have more news about it Mark-n-b?
        none yet... but I have not been asking.

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

I don't think we will see 805D, but who knows
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Race Car Driver
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

B&W

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Rumor 805D might show up at CES? Can anyone confirm that it would be really cool:B
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• KyaDawn
                • Mar 2008

If that's true, that would be great, but having said that, I just paid for a pair of 805S's for my surrounds to match 802D's as the fronts. :cry:

The good thing is that I haven't taken delivery of them, and I should be able to convince the dealer to let me buy the 805D's instead...hopefully. Anyone have any guesses on what the price will be? Comparable to the 804S or more?

Comment

• Russ L
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                  :lol: :lol: :lol: Is this a nominee for "Best Thread of 2008"?
                  Russ

Comment

• htsteve
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                    If that's true, that would be great, but having said that, I just paid for a pair of 805S's for my surrounds to match 802D's as the fronts. :cry:

The good thing is that I haven't taken delivery of them, and I should be able to convince the dealer to let me buy the 805D's instead...hopefully. Anyone have any guesses on what the price will be? Comparable to the 804S or more?

Just remember that there would be a pretty big price jump for the 805D. I think the list of the 805S is $2,800 USD. I would think an 805D would be at least $4,000/pr. I did ask B&W quite awhile ago about an 805D. They had there reasons for not doing it at the time. But, it's been awhile and maybe the timing is better.

Comment

• Ken49r
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by htsteve
                      Just remember that there would be a pretty big price jump for the 805D. I think the list of the 805S is $2,800 USD. I would think an 805D would be at least $4,000/pr. I did ask B&W quite awhile ago about an 805D. They had there reasons for not doing it at the time. But, it's been awhile and maybe the timing is better.
                      When I purchased my 805s in early 2008 my dealer also mentioned B&W will be adding an 805D in the future. So if it was on the drawing board at the time it would seem logical they will possibly introduce it at CES or CEDIA in 2009.

The press release for CES is reporting B&W will be introducing a groundbreaking new product. I wouldn't mind being able to attend this years event and seeing 1st hand what this is. If anyone has an extra CES pass ;x( .

Comment

• Russ L
                        • Jul 2006

A diamond on a surround speaker is not worth it IMO. Except for 5 channel SACD. For a mains it would be worth the extra $ for some people. Hopefully there will be a 805D and a 805S for different folks.
                        Russ

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                          • Apr 2005

My mate and I have been offered a visit to the factory. Perhaps I will make that visit and ask them directly!

Comment

• KyaDawn
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by htsteve
                            Yes, I think so, but $4,000 a pair would still make it less expensive than the 804S unless you counted the stands. For me, it would be very tempting to be able to match the tweeters of the 802Ds, and the additional $1,200 would probably be worth it as a long-term investment.

I wonder if B&W took so long to introduce the 805D precisely because it would be such formidable competition to the 804S. Of course, it would still lack the bass, but I assume the treble and mid-range would be vastly superior to the 804S. I'm not sure how big of a market there is of people using 803Ds as surrounds to match the 800Ds, 801Ds, and 802Ds as fronts, but I assume the introduction of the 805D would cannibalize that section of the market as well.

Comment

• KyaDawn
                              • Mar 2008

Come to think of it, if we use a price comparison of the HTM3S ($2,800, same as a pair of 805S) and the HTM2D ($4,500) as the basis, a pair of 805Ds should cost around $4,500 (edit: on second thought, perhaps even more since a pair of 805Ds would have two diamond tweeters as opposed to one on the HTM2D).

That would make it identical in price to the 804S, and with the stands, even more expensive. To the 804S owners, if the 805D had been available at the time, do you think it would have affected your purchase?

If the 805D does end up to be $4,500, it may be above what I would be willing to pay to upgrade my 805Ss, particularly as surrounds. It would definitely be an improvement for multi-channel audio, but much less so for HT. However, in a way, I would be able to "future-proof" my surrounds while I had the chance. Decisions, decisions...
                              Last edited by KyaDawn; 03 January 2009, 18:05 Saturday.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

For only the diamond tweeter -no
                                For a signature speaker with the old birds eye finish and an improved mid/bass driver - maybe

My vote is for headphones as the secret new product. 805D is not that groundbreaking for B&W, its more of a market niche.
                                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                  For only the diamond tweeter -no
                                  For a signature speaker with the old birds eye finish and an improved mid/bass driver - maybe

My vote is for headphones as the secret new product. 805D is not that groundbreaking for B&W, its more of a market niche.
                                  Headphones that would be cool, how about a speaker with integrated amp like Meridian, Linn...

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Thats an interesting possibility. Quad did that recently with their little standmounts.

I would probably buy the headphones if they were suitable for portable devices. It would certainly get the name out there, like the Zepp.
                                    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Gremal
                                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Russ L
                                      A diamond on a surround speaker is not worth it IMO. Except for 5 channel SACD. For a mains it would be worth the extra $ for some people. Hopefully there will be a 805D and a 805S for different folks.
                                      I agree, Russ. While it would be ideal to upgrade to an 805D type of surround, it is overkill to get the ambient and occasional effect or instrumentation or dialog assigned to the rears. I am actually using older Nautilus-era gear for my 7.1 surrounds, the N805 as side surrounds and the SCM-1 as rear surrounds. No, they're not diamond or even S models, but they are plenty articulate for any HT application and they are symbiotic enough with the diamond gear I use up front.

It's tempting for a "future" upgrade but I think I can convince myself to resist.
                                      Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                                      Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                                      B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                                      VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                                      Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Gremal
                                        I agree, Russ. While it would be ideal to upgrade to an 805D type of surround, it is overkill to get the ambient and occasional effect or instrumentation or dialog assigned to the rears. I am actually using older Nautilus-era gear for my 7.1 surrounds, the N805 as side surrounds and the SCM-1 as rear surrounds. No, they're not diamond or even S models, but they are plenty articulate for any HT application and they are symbiotic enough with the diamond gear I use up front.

It's tempting for a "future" upgrade but I think I can convince myself to resist.
                                        I would imagine that the 805D would be aimed (in the first instance) towards stereo listening. I was told yesterday the 800 range will be replaced in 2 years time, and I would think that it would be diamonds all round!

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                                          Headphones that would be cool, how about a speaker with integrated amp like Meridian, Linn...
                                          B&W did that years ago. It was not very popular but things may be different now.
                                          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• multivac
                                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                            There will not be any new products from the 800 series. Forget the 805D.

There will be more than one "secret new product". Actually two new products will be shown. One of them will appeal mainly to mass market and will be a big surprise.

Just be patient.

Comment

• Gremal
                                              • Apr 2007

How cruel of you to torture us when it's obvious that you know. :W
                                              Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                                              Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                                              B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                                              VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                                              Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"