X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amarkus1
    • Jun 2005

The old Classe\Mcintosh debate

Well sorry to start another thread on this topic but I just can't decide which way to go. I recently upgraded from N802 to 802D's. Very happy with the upgrade but now feel I want to upgrade my amp. I am driving a set of 802D's currently with a Krell HTS 7.1 and KAV-2250. So I am deciding between MC501's or CAM-400's. Unfortunately I don't think a home demo will work for me for various reasons. Also I don't think an in store demo is a true test as there is many variables involved in Hi-Fi. So if you don't mind I would love to hear some more opinions on which avenue to go. I seem to be leaning towards the MC501's as I like the look and can get a good deal from a local dealer. But ultimately the most important thing to me is sound quality for stereo music, and then home theater, then the other stuff.
  • jericho
    • Dec 2004

Whatever your decision may be, you can't go wrong whatever your choice is.I also have a complete B&W set and it also took me a while to decide, I've chosen McIntosh.It's a timeless design and the sound is very warm.As I have a pair of 800D's I found the CAM-400 a little to weak (not enough power) to feed those speakers and drive them to the top.I think you need at least a pair of them, and start to bi-amp.That's why I've chosen McIntosh.I bought a pair of 1201's to drive my front speakers.Lot's of power!!!!

Comment

• ssabripo
      • Dec 2005

Hey A! glad so see you here too

either the CAM-400 or MC501 will do great honestly, with the McIntosh providing the slightly warmer sound. The key is to get LOTS of power for these guys. I meant to tell you the other day about thinking of an upgrade to your amp, but in the rush I didn't get a chance to talk to you about it. So getting for example, as jericho did, a pair of 1201's is something to look at, and have your rear 805s and center driven separately.

We can talk more...I'll give you a buzz.

-Sherv
      My simple HT setup
      4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"