X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stink
    • Aug 2008

Integrating dual subs w/TM 2-ways

I am looking to integrate 2 small subs with my current TM 2-ways (they are a Seas W18NX based design: Northcreek Casitas http://www.northcreekmusic.com/Fiest...and_Casita.htm).

I really like the way BESL did this and wanted to do something similar (http://www.bambergaudio.com/s5-tmw.shtml).

My questions are:

-Any advice on how to properly integrate the subs for 2-ch listening (w/HT use as secondary)? Currently I am thinking of 2 sealed 10" (like RSS265HF's or XXLS's)

-I have a PE HPSA500 sub amp(http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-806). Could I power both subs using this amp? Would I be better off using 2 separate amps (like the PE SA240's). Or?

-Hmmm....What about using the bass-bin design from Dans HOSS? Granted I would be crossing a lot lower than he does.

Thanks for any help/advice!

BTW: First post, but I am a looong time lurker here. I am still building other peoples designs at this point, but I have learned a LOT here over the past couple of years. Many thanks!
    Last edited by stink; 04 December 2008, 21:06 Thursday. Reason: corrected url's
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The bass bin is a good idea since it allows the use of higher XO points.

When you say 2 sealed are you saying 2 drivers/side or two drivers total?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• stink
      • Aug 2008

Two drivers total (a single 10" per side). Just like the the HOSS...

Thanks Thomas.

Comment

• mpotoka
        • Sep 2007

I just implemented a Behringer CX2310 last night (I finished building the cables). I know Thomas has recommended them in the past. I will be using it for my new small MTM's with seperate 8" bass bins. It also has a Subwoofer output for my actual sub. But in your situation you could just output the High to your TMs and your Low to your subs--

As for which drivers/amp (1 or 2) someone else can give you better recommendations.

Cheers
        Mike

Comment

• stink
          • Aug 2008

Hmmm... Thanks Mike. I am gonna do some reading up on the CX2310....I just might need one of those...

Comment

• DS-21
            • Jun 2005

IMO, an amp channel per subwoofer channel is necessary, so you can properly adjust levels and such. And, later on, so you can EQ each one individually when you make that upgrade...

Comment

• stink
              • Aug 2008

DS-21: that was a good read. I agree w/your assessment on separate amps. I like your suggestion idea of using 2 amps now for level/phase adjustment, and upgrading EQ functionality later. I will plan on that route.
              Thanks for the Help!

Comment

• bluewizard
                • Mar 2008

Just kind of a tangental thought, but are you planning to have TWO Subwoofers or are you planning to have STEREO Subwoofers?

If you plan Stereo then of course, you need two amps.

If you are using Plate amps like the suggested Dayton and you are using two for stereo, I've always wondered what the proper way to handle the unused input was? Leave it open? Short it? Parallel the two inputs?

Personally, I've always wanted to try stereo subwoofers.

But I suspect placement near the appropriate channels is a lot more critical than the typical mono subwoofer which seems to have more flexibility in placement.

Now much, but there it is.

Steve/bluewizard

Comment

• stink
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by bluewizard
                  If you are using Plate amps like the suggested Dayton and you are using two for stereo, I've always wondered what the proper way to handle the unused input was? Leave it open? Short it? Parallel the two inputs?
                  I haven't seen the sa240 manual, but most of the plate amps I have seen will usually provide an LFE in for a mono signal on one of the RCA inputs (or will have a dedicated LFE in). Or, you can use a Y-cable to feed a mono signal to both L/R input jacks. So, i *think* I could use an external crossover (like the Behringer) to feed an LFE input. I have to reread Dans Hoss build post to see what he did (just reviewed the PE showcase and it doesnt go into that detail).

Your point about stereo subs is something I am trying to research now... Is it worth the extra equipment costs and added system complexity? Considering that I could build a very nice (single) servo sub for about the same or cheaper cost! The benefits, drawbacks, etc of each just arent clear to me.

Granted, it would be fun to build and look cool

Comment

• mpotoka
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by stink
                    i *think* I could use an external crossover (like the Behringer) to feed an LFE input.
                    Absolutely--I am. Just use an XLR-RCA adapter cable. I made my own, but you can find them online.

Comment

• stink
                      • Aug 2008

Thanks Mike - I was hoping you would tell me that

I might be asking how to make that adapter down the road a bit...

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"