X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jesse111
    • Jul 2005

Dual DD 10 Re-evaluation.

Placement is everything. My initial reaction to the Velodynes was good but as my earlier review shows, I was just not fully satisfied after several hours of trying to reach the top performance peak I was looking and hoping for. After my somewhat disappointing audition of the Velodyne 10’s I became a little discouraged and needed to take a break. With a little friendly pressure from my good buddy Nicholas and after a good night’s rest I went at it with a fresh mind… today the story changes.

Time/phase/alignment is important to me. I simply can’t put my subs in the back corner 6 feet behind the mains. As I found out yesterday, I can’t put them next to the mains either. Where I can put them is next to the wall at 10 feet from the front wall as the picture in the next post shows. That changed everything. I tried facing them toward me but that distorted the response too much. Parallel with the side wall and facing toward the back wall worked beautifully. As you can see the frequency response smoothed out wonderfully and the subs are 12 feet from my ears while my mains are 13 feet. They’re closer to me than my mains by 1 foot. That solves the timing issue.

One of the most disturbing things yesterday was an audible slap/vibration noise coming from the subs when driving moderately. As I moved around the room though, the sound would tend to disappear. Very frustrating. As I have come to realize, the subs simply are not happy in front of you while facing straight at your sitting position. There new location has completely eliminated that anomaly.

After discovering all of this I became reinvigorated to give her another go. So after pulling out the old Yamaha receiver and connecting all necessary speakers, subs and big screen LCD, I was off to the tweak heaven. The following is the description of the pictures by pic name from left to right.

800D R - The 800D pic shows just the right channel main without sub support. This seems to be typical in my room when bas is placed where the mains are.

Velo no EQ - shows activating the sub before any EQ adjustment. It’s amazing how it smoothed out that 30hz spike.

Velo EQ right – shows the curve after tweaking. Phase is set at 120 and crossed over at 45hz. I tried the low pass at 40hz but this created 50hz valley that I could not tweak out. I’m ok with 45hz. I little overlap with the 800D is working perfectly fine so far. In fact it seems better. I feel the flat line response is more true to what the recording engineer’s desire was for us to hear. As long as I don’t find myself experiencing bloat of any kind I will be fine with it. So far I don’t detect any.

800D L – shows almost identical response as the 800D Right channel.

Velo EQ left – shows after EQ’d.

After all was setup I sat down to have a listen. The first thing I did was put in Prong, Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck. This recording will challenge a system in the sense that it should play bass drum with authority. However the recording is actually a bit bass shy so to get the full impact of this track the system has to be exactly right. Once I heard that double bass kick drum like it was right here in my room, I know I had scored a home run. The 10’s were doing it. They were actually rising to the occasion. It was beautiful.

But now comes the real challenge for a true and accurate sub, Chesky’s Audiophile Vocal Recordings disc.

The song Fever on track 8 featuring Valerie Joyce is a breathtaking tune for soft Jazz. The stand up Bass is one of my reference points.

So here’s the deal. If I can integrate a sub into my system and get the kick drum realism from Prong and also keep that stand up bass image intact on Fever, then I know the sub is high quality and the room is equalized. At least enough for me.

Well, if it hadn’t worked you would have not sensed the enthusiasm from me thus far. Yes, it worked. In fact it worked so well, I got the goose bumps. I love it when that happens. It’s a sure sign of success.

As for a larger sub, I’m not sure if it would help. It’s possible the 12’s or 15’s may do better but I don’t have the money right now to try them. But I feel fairly confident that the 10’s may have brought me what I was looking for. An unobtrusive, extremely accurate integration with a measure of slam that brings my system closer to the real thing.
    Attached Files
  • Jesse111
    • Jul 2005

I did a visual of the Sunfire subs while I was at it. I believe this graph shows why I like the Sunfire. It exposes the hidden secret that I find applealing. It's that nice 30hz spike. While the rest of the response is actually not that bad, that 30hz spike is what sends that kick drum slamming in to your chest. I personally feel the Sunfire is a great sub. It integrates fairly well and is extremely powerful. I really can't say anything negative about it. They really sound very good to me. Perhaps with the Velodine SMS-1 8-band digital parametric equalizer, you'd have an awesome sub system. It's a thought.

However, I will keep the Velodynes now because they offer a more accurate integration thanks to their patented software and servo design.

There are two pics. One is before the Sunfire EQ and one after. I would have to say that Sunfire's EQ system is basically worthless. Really no change at all. But it still sounds good to me.

Keep in mind that the parameter adjustments you see on the screen do not effect the Sunfire. The Sunfire's EQ system is within itself. The screen simply shows the frequency response of the Sunfire. The other two pics are of course the new location of the DD 10's.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Nick M
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Jesse - Lookin good! One other thing you might want to try is backing off on the servo settings for the DD-10's. You will get a bit of distortion, but not nearly as much as that of the sunfires. It should give you a little more output.

I can't wait to get my own. Your photos are holding me over! :lol:
      ~Nick

Comment

• Robert W
        • Jan 2007

Oh no, and just when I got done reading the other thread and hoping you were going to get the 12's or 15's.......glad you got them working to your liking. Sounds as if they are doing a fine job. Congrats.
        Outlaw 990, Outlaw 7700, Axiom M80's, EP600, VP150, QS8's, M&K MX200, SB3, Denon 2910, Hitachi 55" Plasma

Comment

• Jesse111
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Robert W
          Oh no, and just when I got done reading the other thread and hoping you were going to get the 12's or 15's.......glad you got them working to your liking. Sounds as if they are doing a fine job. Congrats.
          They are. In fact the more I listen to them the better I like them. They attract no adverse attention physically or sonically and are just doing a wonderful job. But being the true audiophile that I am, I have decided to give the 15's a try. The 70 ounce heavier magnet starts with the 15 and has my curiosity up. It has the same amp and magnet as the 18 but less mass.

I simply must know and can't go on in life until I do. :T

Stay tuned.

Comment

• Nick M
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

... but then you need to order a pair of the 12's too! :lol:
            ~Nick

Comment

• Brian Bunge
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2001

How much does a pair of DD 15's set one back? Ever considered the possiblities of DIY subs? I bet you could smoke a pair of DD 15's for under $2K...

Comment

• DL86
                • Sep 2005

I find that hard to beleive. I heard a single DD-15 and I am not sure what anyone else could possibly want? The DD series subs are perfect imo. I'm saving up for mine!

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2001

It might be difficult for you since many of the DIY drivers aren't available in Australia and shipping can get expensive. But you should check out the Mission Possible section to see what some guys are building.

Granted, it's not going to be something with built-in amps, EQ, etc. but the potential for lower extension and greater output along with vanishingly low distortion is there.

Depending on the drivers you choose, you can get 2-4 15" woofers for $1K, $300 for 2400W of power, add in a Behringer EQ or the SMS-1 and the cost of MDF and finishing materials and you're around $2K or slightly over.

Comment

• Jesse111
                    • Jul 2005

I can appreciate DIY'ers. Can definately be a money saver and perhaps with much expertise one could create the sound they want for the specific room and equipment that they are using at the time of the build.

But once you have used the room EQ software in a Velodyne, it's hard to imagine not having it ever again. I'm finding that even if (and I use the word "if" arguably) Velodyne is not the best sub made as regards parts, the software makes it perform unmistakebly as perfect as anything I've ever heard. Allowing adjustment options for a multitude of listening preferences.

IMHO, the only thing necessary with the DD series is hitting the correct size driver(s) for your room. Once that is accomplished, a successful integration is assured.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2001

Jesse,

That's why I suggested using the SMS-1 with a DIY sub. It has the same software as in the DD subs but in an outboard unit. And actually, the Behringer DEQ unit is more flexible than (and less expensive than) the SMS-1 or the built-in units in the DD subs. The downside is that it doesn't have the video out and user interface that the Velo units do so there's definitely more of a learning curve involved.

But yes, if you're not able to build your own sub, for whatever reason, the DD series is an excellent way to go. I'm really interested in seeing what some of the new SVS subs bring to the table in the future in the way of parametric EQ, etc.

Comment

• Robert W
                        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Jesse111
                        They are. In fact the more I listen to them the better I like them. They attract no adverse attention physically or sonically and are just doing a wonderful job. But being the true audiophile that I am, I have decided to give the 15's a try. The 70 ounce heavier magnet starts with the 15 and has my curiosity up. It has the same amp and magnet as the 18 but less mass.

I simply must know and can't go on in life until I do. :T

Stay tuned.
                        Oh happy day! The 15's AND the 800's, can't wait to hear the results! :T I'm hoping to finish the media room in our house this fall. So little time for projects right now. You're one lucky guy. ;x(
                        Outlaw 990, Outlaw 7700, Axiom M80's, EP600, VP150, QS8's, M&K MX200, SB3, Denon 2910, Hitachi 55" Plasma

Comment

• Jesse111
                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Brian Bunge
                          Jesse,

That's why I suggested using the SMS-1 with a DIY sub.

Yes you are correct. I simply overlooked where you had mentioned coupling it with the SMS-1. Your original suggestion certainly would be a viable alternative for an experienced sub man. :T

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"