X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gc8ej25
    • Nov 2007

How to incorporate dual subs?

I currently have 805S's and a Rotel RC-06 preamp and would like to add dual subs and seamlessly integrate them with the bookshelves. I'm at a loss here and have no idea where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hey, dude! We had a great thread about dual subs here before. Search, and I think you'll find it. Had very, very good info in it.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• gc8ej25
      • Nov 2007

Thanks! I briefly searched but I'll dig deeper.

Comment

• gc8ej25
        • Nov 2007

And just to clarify, I'm not looking for recommendations but actually just connectivity. Assume I have 2 powered subs.

Comment

• gc8ej25
          • Nov 2007

I guess I will use the 2nd set of preouts on the preamp and connect them to the subs' L and R accordingly. Should I purchase a crossover or just let the bookshelves run full-range and adjust the subs' filters as needed?

Comment

• Russ L
            • Jul 2006

Does this help?... Dual Subs Cause I had enough trouble with one sub when I had bookshelves. All those deep bass waves building up in a smallish listening space
            Russ

Comment

• Johnloudb
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2007

You could connect the preamp outs to the built in crossover in the sub. And then route the the subwoofers high pass outputs (most subs have them) to you amp.

You can also do as you mentioned without a crossover assuming your bookshelf speaker's response doesn't extent below the lowest crossover frequency of the sub.

Edit: Russ, you just beat me with your post. :T
              John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• gc8ej25
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                You could connect the preamp outs to the built in crossover in the sub. And then route the the subwoofers high pass outputs (most subs have them) to you amp.
                Forgive my noobness, but could you explain this in more detail? I don't get the part about routing the high pass outputs to the amp? I'm not powering the sub with an external amp. Here's a pic:

Comment

• Johnloudb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2007

Let me instruct you, young grasshopper. :B

The Low Level Inputs is where you connect the output of your preamp.

You can then connect the Low Level Outputs (high pass output) to the main amp powering your satelite (front) speakers.

I hope that helps. If not feel free to ask more questions.
                  John unk:

Comment

• gc8ej25
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                    Let me instruct you, young grasshopper. :B

The Low Level Inputs is where you connect the output of your preamp.

You can then connect the Low Level Outputs (high pass output) to the main amp powering your satelite (front) speakers.

I hope that helps. If not feel free to ask more questions.
                    Ah, thanks for the explanation. In essence, what does this wiring configuration do or benefit?

Comment

• Johnloudb
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2007

It filters out the low frequencies of the satelite speakers, so that there's no overlap between the subwoofer and satelites. This helps make the sound cleaner and you get a flatter frequency response.

One thing I missed. You say your using dual subs? So you should just connect the left preamp outputs to left channel inputs of the left sub. And, connect the right preamp outputs to right channel inputs of the right sub.

Do the same with the sub outputs when connecting to your amp.
                      John unk:

Comment

• gc8ej25
                        • Nov 2007

Awesome, thanks! And what it filters to the mains is determined by where I set the crossover?

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Originally posted by gc8ej25
                          Oh yeah, baby... :T
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Johnloudb
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2007

Awesome, thanks! And what it filters to the mains is determined by where I set the crossover?
                            Yep! :T
                            John unk:

Comment

• dknightd
                              • Mar 2006

Maybe. . .
                              The crossover will determine what the sub plays. But many subs high pass output is a fixed frequency (usually around 80hz). You might want to check your manual, or with the manufacter (If you have an SVS just call or email them - they are very helpful)

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"