B&W LCR600 - Not so magnetically shielded?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simplton
    • Oct 2004

B&W LCR600 - Not so magnetically shielded?

Hello all. Just wanted to share something with you all and see if any of you have experienced the same behavior. I am using a B&W LCR600 for my center channel speaker. I used to have this speaker sitting on top of my TV (Hitachi 57S500) but moved it not too long ago to a speaker stand right in front of the TV. i moved it because I was afraid that 27.5 pounds sitting on top of my TV might not be a good thing. So the speaker was moved to a stand in front of the TV with the top of the speaker just below the bottom edge of the screen. This puts the drivers RIGHT in front of the CRTs. I didn't really think this was going to be a problem as the manual states that stray magnetic fields can only really come from the front of the speaker.

So I had the speaker sittin' on the stand in front of the TV and I noticed that the convergence on my TV started to drift. I'd go in and do a realignment and sure enough, a couple of days later it'd be out of whack again. So the other night I moved my LCR600 back on top of my TV. No more drift. None. Is it possible that this speaker is not as shielded as it should be or that the TV is THAT sensitive to stray magnetic fields?

Any and all responses are welcome. Thanks in advance...

later,
    simp
    Marantz av7005 Proc.
    Oppo BDP-83
    Rotel RB-991 (mains)
    Parasound HCA750 Bridged, Mono (center)
    Rotel RMB-1075 (ss, rs)
    f, B&W DM604S3
    c, B&W LCR600S3
    ss, B&W DM302
    rs,Polk M3II
    HSU VTF-3 MK3
    APC H-15 (power conditioner)
    Display: Panny PT-AE4000 Proj. + 92" DIY Screen
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

I use to have the LCR60 right on top of my Sony RPTV. Never had a problem. TV still looks great.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

Yep the LCR600 is very poorly shielded, I had it sitting on top of my CRT TV and it caused blue deflection in the corners of my TV screen up top. I noticed that if I moved it anywhere up there, it happened until I got it about 8 inches away. I ended figuring out that the Television is shielded from the bottom so I put the speaker below the TV and have not noticed a single problem. Course my 604s cause the slightest tinting of a full screen white, but it's not terrible, but I can't move them any further out in my current situation... such is life.

I did read though that tons of people complained about the LCR600's magnetic shielding and basically being almost non-existent (which is somewhat how I feel). Whatever they did in there (never opened it up to see), they seemed to partially seal the magnets.

So you're not alone! Just keep it on the top of your TV, or on a stand and you should be fine.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Simplton
        • Oct 2004

Thanks for the responses guys. i appreciate it. Just kinda wanted to make sure that it wasn't a "problem" with my center. Other than this shielding deal, I love the speaker. Does a great job. I had several different Polks prior to this guy and they're not even in the same ball-park as this speaker.

later,
        simp
        Marantz av7005 Proc.
        Oppo BDP-83
        Rotel RB-991 (mains)
        Parasound HCA750 Bridged, Mono (center)
        Rotel RMB-1075 (ss, rs)
        f, B&W DM604S3
        c, B&W LCR600S3
        ss, B&W DM302
        rs,Polk M3II
        HSU VTF-3 MK3
        APC H-15 (power conditioner)
        Display: Panny PT-AE4000 Proj. + 92" DIY Screen

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"